Wind+Curls=Big Stringy Mess

SbudskySbudsky Registered Users Posts: 261 Curl Neophyte
Hi everyone. I'm hoping you all can help me with a struggle I've been having--

I have loose, very fragile curls that can look like bouncy, defined coils, but easily go limp if they are jostled or pulled too much. I finally feel like I have a routine down that gives me consistent results and I can get my hair to look pretty much how I want it to every morning before I leave the house. The problem is that I live right on the water in a small corridor of tall buildings that creates what feels like a wind tunnel (even on days when there isn't much wind in the rest of the city) and my hair is essentially destroyed during the 2 minute walk from my building to my car. I've tried putting it in a ponytail before I go outside, but that also damages my curls and does very little to protect against the wind.

Any advice about how to protect my curls and/or how to fix them once I get back to my car? Thanks in advance for your help :-)
waves, loose coils, and cherub curls (=mixed 2s through 3a), very fine texture overall (but with medium and even coarse strands scattered throughout)

Comments

• plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    Oh do I hear you on this! My neighborhood (which is pretty small) is bordered by water on 3 sides and a public park on the 4th. I live in a high-rise condo building and the entrance is on the north side, so all the wind we get from the Juan de Fuca Strait hits the south side of our building and funnels around it. Plus, I walk to work everyday, which is about 15 minutes either way.

My neighborhood...James Bay in Victoria, BC

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Registered Users Posts: 1,731 Curl Neophyte
    I have heavier, stronger waves so they don't get straight in the wind but do turn into something that looks like a fright wig.

Try a silk scarf, like a 1950's lady riding in a convertible?

I actually use hairspray first, let it set and then twist mine up into a clip, this works for me but yours might not survive the twisting.

But I do think that a scarf would work perfectly.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • finaleofseemfinaleofseem Registered Users Posts: 900
    I second Robin's suggestion of a scarf. Also, depending on how you do your hair, you could potentially wait to SOTC until after you get into the car? I don't wrap my hair in the wind, but if it's particularly windy on any given day, I let it stay crunchy until I'm in the car/where I'm going, then scrunch it out there. For my hair, the crunch keeps my curls from falling.
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    How to tie a retro scarf video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOEbzvFlFW0&playnext_from=TL&videos=oIXACASy9r4
    The best versions are in the 2nd half of the video.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • E2eE2e Registered Users Posts: 246
    Thanks for this thread, i'll be buying a convertable in the spring :)
    FIA:2b/cMiiF
    Hair :love7: protein

Bellydancer in the Order of the Curly Crusaders.
  • SbudskySbudsky Registered Users Posts: 261 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the tips everyone! Had a feeling I would have to wear a scarf-- I was picturing a grandma's babushka, but I prefer the sound of a 1950s-style satin scarf. Either way, I think I'll look pretty goofy. I'm also going to try play with using clips and excessive amounts of gel.

My hair is super wavy no matter what, it's just the true curls I lose in the wind... I suppose there are much worse things that could happen.
    waves, loose coils, and cherub curls (=mixed 2s through 3a), very fine texture overall (but with medium and even coarse strands scattered throughout)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file