Starting to love sulfates and love those cones!

BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Registered Users Posts: 4,940 Curl Neophyte
Well, I always liked some cones. I am noticing that my non-sulfate shampoos are not cleaning my hair to my satisfaction. They would be adequate if I didn't like the cones, but I'm thinking I need to shampoo more often with sulfate.
I luckily have SLES which is milder than ALS, ALES, and SLS. I think I'm going to now wash every other time with sulfate and every other time with non-sulfate shampoo. I shampoo 4 times a week, so that'll be 2 times sulfate, two times non-sulfate. I abandoned CO washing a long time ago.

Why am I writing this? Maybe as a confession. LOL
No, I'm writing this, I guess, to let others know that our hair and hair needs (and preferences) are different. And that's okay.
I think CG is great, modified CG is great, the whole sha-bang.
I don't have any allergies or sensitivities to sulfates/cones. I know some do. I can sympathize, as I have some sensitivities to proteins.

The shampoos I have with SLES seem to be formulated in a good way and do not feel harsh on my hair.

I also am giving up finding an HG non-sulfate shampoo. I have a few that are nice, but just doesn't clean effectively most times. One does but it's more drying than my SLES shampoos.

I'm still being careful. I hate Dimethicone! But I love the water solubles, amodimethicone, cyclomethicone, and phenyl trimethicone...there might be others, but these are the more common ones that I use. If I used dimethicone I would have to sulfate wash everyday...my hair would feel to icky to even skip washes and forget even using any non-sulfate means to wash. But these other cones, I can still be somewhat gentle to my hair.
They make my hair shiney, they make my hair less frizzy (especially good during high humidity times). I just love the products I use and don't want to give them up.

Yes, I've completely gone over to the dark side.:twisted:

Anyone else evil like me?
That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
:blob8:

3a/3b

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
  • FairlyCurlyFairlyCurly Registered Users Posts: 839
    What SLES shampoo are you using? I have a similar routine except I use only Peg-modified dimethicone. Currently, I'm using Mop C-System Curl Enhancing Shampoo on my sulfate-free days, but I use Paul Mitchell Instant Moisture Shampoo on my sulfate days. Occasionally, I use CJ Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner. I'd be interested to know which sulfate poo you're using.
    3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.
  • sveetiepiesveetiepie Registered Users Posts: 209
    I'm interested in the poo's as well.Trying to find a gentle poo that really cleans the hair is so hard to find.
    You're right about some sulfate free poos being more harsh than sulfate ones.
    So, please list the ones you like!

shoulder length long layered 2b/3a lots of it
    wash: Live Clean shampoo Abba pure curl Mop c hydrating
    cond: suave coconut Goldwell curly twist
    Protein: Redken Extreme Cat
    style: Ag:recoil Deva Mist-er right
  • Fusilli66Fusilli66 Registered Users Posts: 296
    Wow boomygirl, I so enjoyed reading your post. And its so true, what works for you may not work for me may not work for the next person. It's not just the different hair types but the different personalities.

I only just started doing the CG thing recently and the other day I just felt the need to wash with lather and I used the Tressemme Naturals shampoo which is supposed to be low sulfates (but don't know how true that is) and I felt like guilty that I did it. But it didn't hurt my hair, it still looked good and didn't get dry and my hair felt nice and clean.

The one thing I did notice since going to my natural curl (I used to blow it out everyday) is that I am spending more time to be "natural" than I did before. I know it is mainly because I'm still learning and experimenting and tweaking my routine. But just this morning I decided that on Monday I'm going to use less product and just use my simplest routine and I'll see how it goes.
    3A - Medium Texture - Normal Porosity - Modified CG since 3/2010
    Devacurl NoPoo - Devacurl OneC - Devacurl B'Leave In
    KCCC - LALCG - Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Registered Users Posts: 2,660 Curl Neophyte
    The main reason folks avoid silicones is to keep hair clean with cowashing. With cones, this is nigh impossible. I don't fully cowash, as I'm modified CG. I alternate lowpoos with nopoos, and I find no problem with build-up or scalp goo, etc. Doubtless, my hair is not optimally moisturized with harsher cleansers, but that's my choice.

I use the gentler cleansers--DevaCare Lowpoo, Curl Junkie Gentle, Jessicurl Gentle. When I need to clarify, I"ll use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo-p-844.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo]KC come clean[/buylink] or just use one of the gentler sulfate shampoos (infrequently) like the Elucence or Jane Carter Solutions..

Cones work to defrizz and give shine, hence their ubiquitous status and popularity. :) But for cowashers, they are verboten for a good reason.

I think it's all about finding what routine you like, CG or not, that makes you and your curls happy.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    Any time that I have co-washed or water-washed it always felt like my hair was never really clean, no matter what product I was using. I don't know if my hair is particularly weird or what, but I feel like I can only get it truly clean by alternating between a sulfate and sulfate-free poo during the week. I'm using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle-p-995.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle]CIAB[/buylink] as my only styler and it does rinse out clean, but I still need to either loo-poo or sulfate poo to keep my hair from being limp and dull. I don't know why my hair is so stubborn, but that's how it is.
  • wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Registered Users Posts: 2,017 Curl Neophyte
    Boomy has been a bad, bad, BAD girl! :evil4:

I won't narc you out to to the CG police.

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Registered Users Posts: 4,940 Curl Neophyte

Oh good, 'cos I was nervous. LOL

Upon request:
    sulfate shampoos: Redken Fresh Curls; Aura (or Naturelle) Hypoallergenic Extra Gentle shampoo; Redken Cleansing Cream (it's marketed as a clarifying condish but actually has SLES and is not drying at all...I haven't yet to try it more than once every few weeks for clarifying but I bet I could use it more often); Redken Color Extend

non-sulfate: Loreal Everpure Smooth; Giovanni Smooth as Silk; Giovanni 50/50 (washes thoroughly but very very drying/stripping to me); Creme of Nature (old formulation when it was non-sulfate); Brocato for Color treated hair

Coney products: love love love Redken Fresh Curls leave-in; Loreal Feria conditioner; John Frieda Secret Weapon (not sure if I like yet); Garnier Fructis sleek and shine leave-in; the Redken Color extend shampoo has a cone in it; Garnier Fructis sleek and shine deep treatment.

Non-coney: The basics that everyone loves Suave and VO5 rinse out condishes; Loreal's pink bottle Vive Pro whatever it's called LOL; Giovanni direct leave in; Kiehl's leave in (discontinued); GVP "Biolage" condish.
    Etc. etc.
    I'm going by memory.

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.

3a/3b
    Oh,I don't use any formal stylers...my leave-in is my curl cream, so to speak.
    I do have other stylers, now that I think about it, but I don't use them much.
    I hate gel...so I use hairspray when it's windy.

3a/3b
  • tinahtinah Registered Users Posts: 1,195 Curl Neophyte
    I go back and forth. Most of the time I follow the CG routine. I co wash - no sulfates - no cones. But I like to straighten my hair every so often and I cone it up when I do. That all gets washed out with either a low poo or a full on clarifying shampoo. I've "been CG" for over a year now and not once did I ever think about throwing out my cones.

Strange thing about it though - I can't use them when I wear my hair curly. For some reason they seem to prevent my curls from clumping at all. So I get giant fluff ball hair that's neither curly nor straight. It's odd. But yes I do love cones. They do serve their purpose and I think that if they work for you then more power to ya!!! It's about being happy. That's all it's about!
    CG - 3/27/09
    3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
    Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
    Styling: lube and BRHG
  • DEL2CDEL2C Registered Users Posts: 6,418 Curl Neophyte

:laughing7:

What a Rrrrrrrrrrebel!!!!!!!!!

So many people starting out think that it's CG or nothing, it does work great for so many. But it can also cause a whole new set of problems with build up & protein sensitivity that didn't exist prior to strictly co-washing.

I find cones for the most part just weigh my hair down, but it does depend on the product.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • jessie57888jessie57888 Registered Users Posts: 43
    i tried the curly girl method when i first started my hair... i believe i did it for 2 months. i hated it...and i regret buying the book..and the deva curl products were discontinued from most of the targets around me. to me that says a lot about how the average consumer feels..

washing my hair with only conditioner is just not for me...even low sulfate shampoos dont do the job as well as regular shampoo. you end up paying more for a lesser job..

i do like to co washing but i still wash my hair with shampoo once a week as well.
    so im one of those people on this board who likes sulfates and cones alot
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I tried going the whole non-sulfate co-washing routine and it wasn't for me. I could never get my hair to be clean enough. I low poo twice a week.

I try to limit cones but this summer in the high dews - well, I'm going to do what works.

One thing I learned from all this that mattered more than cones/no cones was to limit use of heat appliances.

Good thread!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • madkarmamadkarma Registered Users Posts: 53
    I use a shampoo that is marketed as non-sulfate just because I don't want to strip my color, and I find that some sulfates can be harsh on my highlights!

With that said, I use a shampoo that has...ok let's see, I'm going to type this...sodium methyl-2 sulfolaurate, disodium 2-sulfolaurate, and sodium lauryl sulfoacetate

So am I using a full on sulfate shampoo? Or is this considered a lo-poo? I don't care either way...it works for my hair!
  • mopsymopsy Registered Users Posts: 153
    SLES is milder than ALS? Really? oops. I just bought a big bottle of something with ALS, thinking that was the milder one.
  • smasters467smasters467 Registered Users Posts: 527
    There's always a lot of talk about which sulfates are milder/gentler, but for me personally, I don't think the sulfate itself matters, it's all in the formulation. I have the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Mixed-Chicks-Shampoo-p-673.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=mixed-chicks-shampoo]Mixed Chicks shampoo[/buylink] and it has either ALS or ALES, which is supposedly harsher than SLS from some of the articles I've read, but it leaves my hair so freakin soft. After I shampoo with the MC, I can literally run my fingers through my hair. However, I also have the Tresemme Naturals Shampoo and it contains the same sulfate as the MC, and it doesn't give me the same softness.
    How's My Hair?
    Review: L'Oreal Evercreme Cleansing Conditioner
    Review: Yes To Carrots Nourishing Shampoo & Pampering Conditioner + 35% off at YTC.com

3a-b, fine & medium texture, medium-high porosity from years of damaging. I'm addicted to changing my hair color.
    Cleansing: No-Poo, Elucence MBS, YTC Poo,
    Conditioner: One Condition, JC Too Shea!, YTC Condish, Elucence MBC, Joico Daily, KCKT
    Styling: KCCC, LALPS, BRHG, Biotera Gel
    SMB Photography
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Whatever makes ya happy and works for you hair!
  • mopsymopsy Registered Users Posts: 153
    There's always a lot of talk about which sulfates are milder/gentler, but for me personally, I don't think the sulfate itself matters, it's all in the formulation.

Interesting thought. I've used some Back to Basics shampoos that my hair seemed to like, Get Curly and Sunflower, both of which are discontinued. They both have the SLS's in them and then further down the list was one of the coco .... betaine ingredients.
  • CurlyToastCurlyToast Registered Users Posts: 579
    I think the best thing about a no-poo spell (aside from giving beleaguered hair a breather) is that you get to see what your hair is like in its "natural state."

And then you can use cones and sulfates with abandon, having a better idea what condition your hair is in at any given point.
  • CDRWCDRW Registered Users Posts: 177
    My hair absolutely adored amodimethicone and the bisaminopropyl dimethicone (sp??) when I was chemically treating my hair. Now, since my curls are mostly all natural my hair behaves much better with them. The cones seemed to weigh down the curl pattern too much.
    Mostly 3B/C with a multiple personality disorder! :)
    CO-Wash: Curlicious Curls Cleansing Cream, Suave, Coconut Sublime
    Leave In: My own mix,
    Curls Milkshake, Curls Souffle

Stylers: My own mix
    -great results with Aussie IF gel
    -Curls Goddess Glaze
    DT: Lekair Cholesterol, my own mix
    Curls Ecstasy Hair Tea

Fotki
    PW: curlies

• AntjeAntje Registered Users Posts: 94
    Well I curly girled a few times and I never hold on longer than 3 months and then I have to really shampoo,

I now have a shampoo called rumble 59, it has no sulfates in it but it has a nice lather,

I had to get used to it but it works nice, It is made to wash out pomade like murray's and not dry out the hair.
    For me it works and I have a poo. I cannot live without it I guess.
    2c waves curls.

Started the CG routine again!! since Februari 8 2011

http://www.glamourace-collies.blogspot.nl/
    I don't know about you, but I felt a big sense of relief after I read this thread.
  • AntjeAntje Registered Users Posts: 94
    SicilyCurl wrote: »
    I don't know about you, but I felt a big sense of relief after I read this thread.

I did, I was thinking I was the only one who came of the whole curly girl thing.
    I like the idea but it is not just for everyone out here
    2c waves curls.

Started the CG routine again!! since Februari 8 2011

http://www.glamourace-collies.blogspot.nl/
    I think for me CG was helpful in getting to know my hair better, has made me more aware what works/doesn't work, and has helped me in taking better care of my hair. Sulfates and cones are not evil--neither are polyquats, proteins, or humectants. You just have to be in tune to what your hair/scalp needs (or what it demands or rebels against).

3a/3b
  • KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Registered Users Posts: 714
    Boomygrrl wrote: »
    I think for me CG was helpful in getting to know my hair better, has made me more aware what works/doesn't work, and has helped me in taking better care of my hair. Sulfates and cones are not evil--neither are polyquats, proteins, or humectants. You just have to be in tune to what your hair/scalp needs (or what it demands or rebels against).
    +1

Back when I used relaxers, my (already-damaged) hair needed the 'cones by the gallon just to look halfway decent.

Once I got all that cut off and went CG (a little over a year ago), I realized after a couple of weeks that going 100% CG wouldn't work, either.

My hair gets dull if I use too much dimethicone, but it doesn't really seem to mind amodimethicone.
    I use Giovanni Triple Treat Shampoo (non-sulfate) once a week because it helps my itchy scalp, and I don't feel that it dries out my hair. (I co-wash a couple times during the week.)

However, about every 2-3 months, I'll do a sulfate wash. I follow that up with my own coconut oil / jojoba oil DT and then start over again.
    My curls seem bouncier again after that.

So... who knows?... I'm considering studying for a biochemical degree just to try to understand my hair!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
  • parzyparzy Registered Users Posts: 246
    I didn't come to the site because I was having bad hair even though I poo-ed and used cones. After finding it I did and do follow CGish routines often but I have to be able to pick up whatever I can wherever I am because I travel so much for work. I also change climate frequently.

I am not afraid of a sulfate or cones, although heavy cones weigh me down. My hair is just not in the position to be picky - I do not have the time nor the suitcase space. I use what I have and roll with it. My hair was always lovely when I poo-ed, although I only do so when I think it needs it now.

I wish there was a forum on this site for people who are non CG or CG lite. :protest:

Many moons ago this site was less CG dominant - it was one approach among many - but now it is a hard place to get ideas unless you are CG. I cannot imagine getting many responses in most of the forums about a serum I might be looking at in a pinch while I'm on the road.

Good to know that I am not alone!
    2b (a fine 'n porous wavy)...and finally growing out :-)

Wash: Deva Low-poo
    Condish and leave in: OneC or Suave Coconut

Styler: Angell or the Deva foam, sometimes KKKC

Etc: Set It Free as a refresher

Protien: Looking for one

I love hairspray...don't judge
  • xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    Well, I always liked some cones. I am noticing that my non-sulfate shampoos are not cleaning my hair to my satisfaction. They would be adequate if I didn't like the cones, but I'm thinking I need to shampoo more often with sulfate.
    I luckily have SLES which is milder than ALS, ALES, and SLS. I think I'm going to now wash every other time with sulfate and every other time with non-sulfate shampoo. I shampoo 4 times a week, so that'll be 2 times sulfate, two times non-sulfate. I abandoned CO washing a long time ago.

No, I'm writing this, I guess, to let others know that our hair and hair needs (and preferences) are different. And that's okay.
    I don't have any allergies or sensitivities to sulfates/cones. I know some do. I can sympathize, as I have some sensitivities to proteins.

The shampoos I have with SLES seem to be formulated in a good way and do not feel harsh on my hair.

I also am giving up finding an HG non-sulfate shampoo. I have a few that are nice, but just doesn't clean effectively most times. One does but it's more drying than my SLES shampoos.

I'm still being careful. I hate Dimethicone! But I love the water solubles, amodimethicone, cyclomethicone, and phenyl trimethicone...there might be others, but these are the more common ones that I use. If I used dimethicone I would have to sulfate wash everyday...my hair would feel to icky to even skip washes and forget even using any non-sulfate means to wash. But these other cones, I can still be somewhat gentle to my hair.
    They make my hair shiney, they make my hair less frizzy (especially good during high humidity times). I just love the products I use and don't want to give them up.

Oh, yeah, I am evil like you. I love me some shampoo!! And I do it daily!! MWWWHAHAHAHAHAHHA
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • curlycarrottop62curlycarrottop62 Registered Users Posts: 245
    xcptnl wrote: »

Oh, yeah, I am evil like you. I love me some shampoo!! And I do it daily!! MWWWHAHAHAHAHAHHA
    my hair has been acting up lately and so ive been shampooing and it looks better!! i wonder once my hair calms down my hair will hate shampoo again, but for now, im evil like you
    Multi-textured head! 3a w/ some 3c, medium to high porosity, medium to coarse texture, dry!

My current favorites: Suave naturals shampoo, Suave coconut, Organix argan and moroccan oil conditioner, GFTN, LALMG, FSG <3!!

Not a huge fan of CG :/
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    parzy wrote: »
    I didn't come to the site because I was having bad hair even though I poo-ed and used cones. After finding it I did and do follow CGish routines often but I have to be able to pick up whatever I can wherever I am because I travel so much for work. I also change climate frequently.

I am not afraid of a sulfate or cones, although heavy cones weigh me down. My hair is just not in the position to be picky - I do not have the time nor the suitcase space. I use what I have and roll with it. My hair was always lovely when I poo-ed, although I only do so when I think it needs it now.

I wish there was a forum on this site for people who are non CG or CG lite. :protest:

Many moons ago this site was less CG dominant - it was one approach among many - but now it is a hard place to get ideas unless you are CG. I cannot imagine getting many responses in most of the forums about a serum I might be looking at in a pinch while I'm on the road.

Good to know that I am not alone!

Speaking as one of the Oldies here:

This site has been around much longer than the CG idea. There are many of us here who don't follow the CG method, or are at least modified. :D I am one of them!!! Unfortunately, after the CG craze, many seem to think this site is about CG -- not Curly Hair!! :lol:

Boomy and others, don't be afraid to speak up and talk about what works for you. I, for one, think my hair actually looked so much better years ago before I started worrying about what I used on my hair. I used 'cones and my hair was fine. I'd still be using the product if I didn't develop an allergy to one/some of the ingredients. :p
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • msgibletmsgiblet Registered Users Posts: 5,825
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    Speaking as one of the Oldies here:

This site has been around much longer than the CG idea. There are many of us here who don't follow the CG method, or are at least modified. :D I am one of them!!! Unfortunately, after the CG craze, many seem to think this site is about CG -- not Curly Hair!! :lol:

Boomy and others, don't be afraid to speak up and talk about what works for you. I, for one, think my hair actually looked so much better years ago before I started worrying about what I used on my hair. I used 'cones and my hair was fine. I'd still be using the product if I didn't develop an allergy to one/some of the ingredients. :p

I am in total agreement with you. I think curlies should be able to do whatever works to give them beautiful, healthy curls without feeling like they have to 'confess' and then worry about getting blasted if they've managed to do that without following a strict - or even a modified - CG routine. If it works, go for it!
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file