Chicago (again)

MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
I posted about a trip to Chi town a couple of months ago but for my life I can't find it. So I'm prostrating myself for help again. Take pity on me.

Where to STAY in Chicago?? I have a discount at any Marriott, so I'm naturally inclined towards them. But there's like five in differnet neighborhoods.

Marriott Offshore Resorts is at Wacker (heh) and Michigan near the Riverwalk.

Marriott Magnifcent Mile is... well, on the Magnificent Mile.

Marriott Richmond is near Grant Park and the art institute, which I wanted to visit.

Shopping will not be a big theme on this trip, but food is ALWAYS a big theme in my life. As such I don't care about stores but care very much about good food, preferably local joints and on the less expensive side. We won't be there long-- a day and a half or so-- so I feel like picking the right hotel is imperitive, and I just have no idea where to start.

Planning a vacation is hard. Maybe that's why I never take them.
"And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
Stolen.

Comments

• badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    I don't know Chicago well enough to recommend areas, but I will say that downtown Chicago is very walkable. In November, I stayed in the Magnificent Mile and walked to the Hilton on Michigan Ave (across from Grant Park) and back several days in a row for a conference. It was probably a 25-30 minute walk one way, but it was an easy, safe walk.

ETA:
    I'm not sure if you'd be interested in non-Marriott hotels, but I've had great luck with Hotwire.com for hotels in downtown Chicago. It breaks it down by area (Magnificent Mile, Michigan Ave, Museum Campus, etc.) and star rating, so you pretty much know what you're getting. For the aforementioned conference, we ended up in a 3.5 star hotel for something like $65/night. I think it's more expensive in the summer, but it might be worth checking.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file