Wedge Heels

MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
Question for you ladies: so we all know heels get a bad rap for being hard to walk in. Personally I have no problem with a heel up to 3.5 inches. Even on a narrow heel, without a platform. I can go higher with a platform... as long as the rise is no more than 3.5, I'm golden.

But I always hear about how much easier it is to walk in wedges... that they're more stable than regular heels and more comfortable.

Is this true for you all? I ask because I find them to be far more challenging. The heel being connected to the ball of my foot is jarring to my stride. I'm finding I have to take shorter steps than I'm used to taking in regular heels.

Any suggestions or thoughts?
"And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
Stolen.

Comments

• JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Question for you ladies: so we all know heels get a bad rap for being hard to walk in. Personally I have no problem with a heel up to 3.5 inches. Even on a narrow heel, without a platform. I can go higher with a platform... as long as the rise is no more than 3.5, I'm golden.

But I always hear about how much easier it is to walk in wedges... that they're more stable than regular heels and more comfortable.

Is this true for you all? I ask because I find them to be far more challenging. The heel being connected to the ball of my foot is jarring to my stride. I'm finding I have to take shorter steps than I'm used to taking in regular heels.

Yes, my wedges are almost as comfy as flip flops, I wear them to amusement parks. In fact, I'm wearing some right now. You have to be very picky though. I've found kenneth cole wedges to be comfy.

I'm wearing these right now - not the cutest in my opinion but they work well with jeans -

050306_kenneth_cole.jpg

I absolutely love wedges. I love height and this way I can wear them and be comfortable at the same time.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso

I think you're talking about wooden wedges heels (that don't move/flex). They can be a little challenging but like you said, you just have to adjust your stride and you get used to it. I kinda march more than walk when I wear very high wooden plats or wedges.

But many people think of more espadrille-y or cork type soles when they think of wedges and they have more flex.

Wedges are more stable than a thin stiletto like heel -- ie, you won't likely twist your ankle if you step on a pebble. But a well-made pair of heels (non stiletto) can be just as easy to walk in and as comfy as wedges IMO.

• MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Josephine wrote: »

Yes, my wedges are almost as comfy as flip flops, I wear them to amusement parks. In fact, I'm wearing some right now. You have to be very picky though. I've found kenneth cole wedges to be comfy.

I'm wearing these right now - not the cutest in my opinion but they work well with jeans -

050306_kenneth_cole.jpg

I absolutely love wedges. I love height and this way I can wear them and be comfortable at the same time.

Those look super comfortable, and I can see the difference between those and mine immediately: yours, the heel sort of tapers under toward the toe just a little bit. Mine go straight down, no taper at all.

I think if mine came under like that, even just a hair, they'd be a lot easier.

SL, mine are espedrille-y, but they're HARD too. I'm sort of hoping the back of the heel either softens a bit or wears down.

I'm on my phone so I can't really post a pic.... but they're. The Dylan peep toe wedge from Banana Republic. This is my first pair of Banana shoes.... not sure how I feel about them. Time will tell, I suppose. They're super cute.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Posts: 2,648Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love wedge heels. Paired with a sundress, it is my staple look in the summer. All of mine seem to have a bit of a flexible sole, which makes walking in them easy.

I have Kenneth Cole ones, and I think he makes different styles, but with the same specs/pattern/whatever. The ones Josephine posted look similar to ones I bought last year, and wore while sight seeing. the difference is that while mine have the same silhouette, they have smooth leather straps, and the heel is leather covered. Very comfortable!
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like wedges a lot, but I find that the less of a height difference there is between the ball of the foot and the heel, the more comfortable they are. There's a not-quite-platforms balance that works really well for me (so well, in fact, that I've paid more to repair a pair of shoes from Target than I did to get them in the first place).

A thin ball of foot area and a high wedge feels uncomfortable.
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    I find wedges easier to walk in than shoes with skinny heels. I think they're about as easy to walk in as a shoe with a thicker heel.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Gemini13 wrote: »
    I find wedges easier to walk in than shoes with skinny heels. I think they're about as easy to walk in as a shoe with a thicker heel.

I agree.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file