doea anyone have a George Foreman grill

sherry7899sherry7899 Posts: 897Registered Users
Our barbecue got knocked over in a storm this winter, and the new part that broke would be $100. We thought of getting a George Foreman grill instead so we could use it all year.

Does anyone have one, and do you like it? There are so many different models, and I find it confusing figuring out what to get.

We would want a family sized one with removeable plates.

Does it cook evenly and is the temperature consistent?

Is it easy to clean?

We'd mainly use it for chicken, turkey burgers and possibly steak. Do these taste the same as outdoor grilling?

Can you also use it for panini and quesadillas?

Thanks!
Sherry

Comments

• CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Posts: 2,648Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have one and love it. It does a good job for an inside grill. I've used it to make grilles pressed wraps, and it does a good job on those.

I don't think that it replaces an outdoor grill though.
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    It's two hot metal plates you put food between - it in no way holds any comparison to an outdoor grill.

That said, I love them. They are very easy to use and clean, and I appreciate the even cooking they give if you don't put more food in them than they can handle.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • GuardianBGuardianB Posts: 1,905Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I only have the smaller one and need to upgrade but like everyone said it doesnt replace the outdoor grill. It is great for winter/bad weather cooking or sandwich making.

Easy to clean, a little bulky to store but a great kitchen piece to have.
    ~Two friends, one soul inspired~ anonymous
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CocoaCoily wrote: »
    I don't think that it replaces an outdoor grill though.

Definitely not, doesn't compare imo. But it's nice to have and use it when you don't feel like grilling outside or can't have a grill.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's kind of cheesy, but IMO it's a handy device to have.

Of course, I also own... a Snuggie! Hey, it gets really cold in my apartment, I have to spend a lot of time typing, and I hate robes. I need a blanket with sleeves.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have owned one (a smaller one) for 5 years and never used it! I just never knew what to do w/ it. Hopefully, I will get suggestions here.

What I really want is the GT Xpress 101 (or whatever you call it...the chubby little old lady who makes the wraps and omelets and hot pockets, etc.).

• JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like it a lot for chicken - jerk and tandoori for me - when there is no grill available or you don't feel like grilling and it's easy. Much better than baked.
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, I have one. I have 2 actually. The regular size and the mini.

I use them ALL the time. I just used it yesterday and made grilled BBQ that I had marinated half the day in all kinds of herbs and spices.

I've always found them to be really easy to clean especially if you wipe them off with a wad of paper towels while they are still hot. Stuff slides right off. And then all you have to do is clean it with a cloth and a drop of dishwashing liquid if you like it EXTRA clean.

I use it for a lot of meats. Chicken, burgers, turkey bacon, hot dogs, sausages, salmon, even veggies like zucchini, squash, red onion, aspargus.

I've even made fake panini sandwhiches on it.. It also makes good grilled cheese.

I personally don't find it has the same taste from an outdoor grill. But what I do is season my meat well before cooking it or I marinate it. And you can always just use BBQ type seasoning or buy that liquid mesquite flavor stuff to make it feel like you have outdoor grill food.

My son loves when I do a "fake BBQ" when it rains outside and he wants BBQ food. I just whip out the grilling spices and marinades... soak the meat for a few hours, slap them on the George Foreman, add BBQ sauce.. delicious!

I would recommend this to anyone to have as a staple in their kitchen. Even college kids like those mini kind! Plus they are of a very reasonable price in large, medium, and small sizes!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    All the Foremans i used got too hot. Am I the only one that's happening to?

I use a a cask iron plate, griddle on one side, grill on the other.

and true neither replace a grill, but with the cast iron you can use it in the oven and use wood chips to get the smokiness of a grill
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
    Another thumbs up for the Foreman grill. :thumbright: It's super easy to clean, cooks evenly, and there's that little fat-catcher you place underneath which is really handy.

The only downside with making things like grilled cheese sandwiches is that the cheese tends to ooze out of the sides a lot more than if you cook the sandwich on the stove.

ETA: I've also "grilled" hot dogs with it.
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
    I adore my Georgie. I use it mostly for burgers and steaks, but I've seen it used for sandwiches and all kinds of other stuff. I think the newer ones have temperature gauges and removable grill plates which makes cleaning them easier.

It's not the same as an outdoor grill (you won't get that smokey flavour or anything, and charring things might be a bad idea), but since I don't have that option where I live, this is a more than acceptable alternative.
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Somehow I've managed to live without a George Forman grill all these years. I have cast iron frying pans and a stove...why would I want mini versions of them taking up precious kitchen real estate? I have enough crap in my appliance graveyard already.

You can't grill outside in the winter? That's news to me. I grill all winter long. When we shoveled our 3 feet of snow a few months ago, we shoveled a path to the grill at the same time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file