Coconut oil vs. Vatika oil

poemaXXpoemaXX Registered Users Posts: 456 Curl Neophyte
Hi all!

I've had really good experiences using virgin coconut oil, and I was just wondering how coconut oil users felt their results varied when they used vatika oil (the kind without mineral oil) instead? Is there really a difference other than the scent?

Thanks! :toothy4:
|| 3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 || SD/dandruff prone

Current Routine BAQ henna 1/month Leave-in OH Hair Dew Cheapie Conditioner Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing
Old Stand-bys extra-virgin coconut oil Protein AO GPB; Moisture AO HR Style AOMMJ – Kept for troubleshooting.
Waiting to try extra-wide curlformers SD treatment H&S Clinical Strength

Comments

• SoficurlsSoficurls Registered Users Posts: 177
    Personally, I like Vatika better. I use it to scrunch out the crunch, sometimes ...when I remember... to seal my ends, and to DT.
    The Vatika has other really good things including amla oil and lemon.
    I can massage my scalp with it and it seems to get absorbed well and wash off with conditioner pretty easy.
    When I used plain coconut oil, if I used too much of it, it would build up, it didnt smell like much, and didnt seem to condition my hair. The oil I used was not virgin coconut oil, just coconut oil.
    Also, I feel like the Vatika doesnt really make my hair greasy.
    When I used to use plain coconut oil, I started getting bumps in my scalp, like acne? I dont know, but it hurt and it was gross, and I realized that it was clogging my scalp pores. This hasnt happened since I use vatika. However, I think I use less of it now.
    Hope this helps Poema!:dwarf:
    Soficurls:read2:3a, 3b
    Amo mis rizos y mis crespos!

http://public.fotki.com/sofiturna/
    CW SuaveCoconut
    C GarnierTripleNutrition
    DT VatikaCoconutOil
    Style Biotera Creme, LA sports gel, HETT Gel or mousse, a bit of honey with any of these!
    SuperSoak FlourSack TowelDiffuse and sometimes TT HairSpray!
  • curls 2nvcurls 2nv Registered Users Posts: 318
    vatika oil is my favorite oil. coconut oil smells bad to me and doesnt absorb into my hair really well, although i do use it as a prepoo and use pure coconut oil. but vatika oil seems to really absorb into my hair and makes my hair soft. i use it when i straighten because it seems to make my hair feel moisturized dispite all of the cones on my head.
    CG Curly
    Why does the pj monster haunt me so?:twisted:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Growing my bf's hair from cbl to apl
  • dominicanadominicana Registered Users Posts: 239
    Could you guys list which vatika oils you use? I don't have any Indian grocers near by and the stuff I see online has no ingredients list. I would like to try some without mineral oil.

Thanks!
    D
    Lady Valeria of the Isle of Neraida in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Central Florida Curly
    CG since May 5, 2009
    Hair Type: 3cCiii coarse\porous
    Conditioners: Bioinfusion HCB, CJCR, SpiralSolutions DDMT, BellaCurl MC, BellaCurl LE, KCKT, YesToCucumbers
    Stylers: CJ CCCC, FSG, KCCC, SpiralSolutions CEJ
  • curls 2nvcurls 2nv Registered Users Posts: 318
    i use this one
    vatika-oil.jpg
    CG Curly
    Why does the pj monster haunt me so?:twisted:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Growing my bf's hair from cbl to apl
  • dominicanadominicana Registered Users Posts: 239
    Thanks!!!
    D
    Lady Valeria of the Isle of Neraida in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Central Florida Curly
    CG since May 5, 2009
    Hair Type: 3cCiii coarse\porous
    Conditioners: Bioinfusion HCB, CJCR, SpiralSolutions DDMT, BellaCurl MC, BellaCurl LE, KCKT, YesToCucumbers
    Stylers: CJ CCCC, FSG, KCCC, SpiralSolutions CEJ
  • poemaXXpoemaXX Registered Users Posts: 456 Curl Neophyte
    Bump.:icescream:
    || 3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 || SD/dandruff prone

Current Routine BAQ henna 1/month Leave-in OH Hair Dew Cheapie Conditioner Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing
    Old Stand-bys extra-virgin coconut oil Protein AO GPB; Moisture AO HR Style AOMMJ – Kept for troubleshooting.

• MaciMaci Registered Users Posts: 180
    Vatika Frosting from Hairveda is great. I like it better than straight coconut. It smells wonderful. I tried buying Vatika oil from an indian grocery store and I'm not sure if there are different formulas, but the one I bought smelled like an industrial solvent. I threw it away.
    Spirals, curls & waves, Med-Coarse Texture, Med Porosity, Low Elasticity
  • poemaXXpoemaXX Registered Users Posts: 456 Curl Neophyte
    Hey folks – So it's been a couple of years since I started this thread, but I've now had a chance to try Dabur Vatika Oil (link).

Scent // I prefer virgin coconut oil's light almost-fruity scent over Vatika Oil's more aggressive scent (which seems to have gotten stronger over time).

Properties // Although Vatika Oil has lemon, henna**, amla and other goodies I can't really tell the difference in terms of what it does for my hair. So far I've sealed with it, pre-pooed with it,... If anything it might feel a bit less oily than virgin coconut oil.

Packaging // I will say that Dabur's container is much more convenient for dispensing a bit of oil at a time compared to a jar of virgin coconut oil. Much better to keep in the shower and/or warm up in a sink full of warm water before dispensing.

Price // At ~$6 for 11.2 ounces, Dabur Vatika Oil is less expensive than the virgin coconut oils I've encountered. However, virgin coconut oil is food grade, while Dabur Vatika Oil (containing a hydroquinone-based preservative) is not.

Hope this helps!

**I've been hennaing my hair, so any effect from Vatika's henna content may not be noticeable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file