What is acetylated lanolin?

curlykinky21curlykinky21 Posts: 112Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi everyone. I was just browsing some of the ingredients in the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Buttercreme-p-577.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-buttercreme]Miss Jessies Curly Buttercreme[/buylink] since people tend to say its very moisturizing and just wondering if lanolin oil/alcohol is considered a "safe" ingredient for the hair or is it on the list with mineral oil?

I've read that it comes from sheep's wool and it can cause allergic reactions if it comes from a source that uses pesticides, but the majority of things I read say its super moisturizing and safe to use. The safety for cosmetics link also does not show that there is any hazard in using this ingredient, but I wanted to see what you ladies have experienced using lanolin.

Comments

• hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A clear, nongreasy liquid made by reacting lanolin with polyoxyethylenes; soluble in water, oils, and alcohol; used in cosmetics.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sobecurlsobecurl Posts: 313Registered Users
    Lanolin is right there with mineral oil as one of those products that tends not to do so well with natural hair but is pervasive in a lot of products. It acts as a humectant as well, so be careful of using it during the colder/dryer months. Yes, it is found in cosmetic products (similar to mineral oil), but the benefits to the hair are questionable. I think castor oil is a better alternative, but that is only my opinion.

It is not as difficult to wash out as cones, so as long as it is not one of the first few ingredients, I wouldn't worry too much about it. But if you are strict on your ingredients and quality of ingredients, you might want to stay away, especially in the case of Miss Jessie's where you are paying a premium for the products.
    Over 10 years natural and still growing...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file