Flat semi-TWA in the Morning...

SpringyCurlsSpringyCurls Posts: 41Registered Users
My mom recently cut her locs after apx 30 years. Her hair is actually slightly longer than a twa (maybe 2 inches long) and she's having a hard time figuring out how to maintain it. It's different textures now that it is graying: some parts stay curly while others start to stick out with minimal definition. When she wakes up in the morning, parts are flattened and it's difficult to make it look uniform. Is there a routine that anyone recommends or any particular products that work for hair in the "in between" stages?
Shampoo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo
Co-Wash: V05 Tea Therapy in Blackberry Sage Tea
Deep Conditioner: AO Honeysuckle Rose, Jessicurl Weekly Deep Treatment
Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today
Sealant: Summer - Coconut Oil, Winter - Castor & Jojoba Oil, Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar Pomade (ends)

Comments

• cassadie3cassadie3 Posts: 506Registered Users
    yes! story of my life. after sleeping in a bonnet and biking to work with a helmet on, flat twa syndrome is something im totally familiar with.

the key is to take a spray bottle with water and a bit of conditioner and thoroughly saturate your hair. Let it sit for a minute and shake it out. Side-to-side and upside-down. Your coils will pop right back out! HTH!
    :::::::joie de vivre:::::::
    last relaxer: November 2008
    big chop: November 2009
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    4a, fine, dense, teeny weeny coils with low porosity

• EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with Cass about spraying with water, and if it's realistic, I just cowash/re-wet daily. Do you mean it's 2 inches stretched or unstretched?
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • maybejadeymaybejadey Posts: 198Registered Users
    I agree that rewetting is the key. I feel like a broken record, but there's also baggying. At your length (if it's 2 inches stretched) you can probably get away with daily cowashing. I'm nearing 10-12 inches in areas, and daily cowashing is a path straight to a long detangling session if I'm not careful, so I opt to baggy for 15-20 minutes for moisture, then shake shake shake. I have low porosity hair, so rewetting with a spray bottle just gives me droplets all over my hair. The baggy helps my hair take it all in.
    Hair Type: A collection of incredibly dense, gravity-defying very defined coffee-stirrer diameter coils. I am currently exclusively wearing wash-and gos.

Products
    :Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner (low-poo), Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner, Grapeseed Oil, KCCC or Ecostyler Gel (stylers)

• SpringyCurlsSpringyCurls Posts: 41Registered Users
    Yeah! Ladies, thank you so much for the advice! It seems to be about 1 inch long without stretching and probably about 2 inches stretched. We will definitely give water with some conditioner a try. We have a few spray bottles around.

My mom is really low maintenance and doesn't want to co-wash every other day, or wear a satin bonnet lol. What am I gonna do with her? I may be able to get her to wet her hair daily and maybe put in a leave-in conditioner after...
    Shampoo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo
    Co-Wash: V05 Tea Therapy in Blackberry Sage Tea
    Deep Conditioner: AO Honeysuckle Rose, Jessicurl Weekly Deep Treatment
    Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Sealant: Summer - Coconut Oil, Winter - Castor & Jojoba Oil, Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar Pomade (ends)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file