Toner?

MissEMissE Posts: 60Registered Users
This might sound like a stupid question but what does toner actually do? does it make your skintone sorta even? i cleanse and moisturize every day, but i think i might need to tone as well as my skin is sometimes blotchy and red and i sometimes get tiny,itchy,spots. Could toner help this?
Thank you!!
xx
UK Curly! Pics in Fotki..
3-a/b
:love8:

Comments

• ariesxtremeariesxtreme Posts: 123Registered Users
    Toner can definitely help out your overall skintone. Depends on what your skin needs. I myself am on a oilier side so I actually make my own ACV toner and add Ylang Ylang essential oil along with lemon essential oil to help out my sebum production.

Is your skin dry or oily? You mentioned your skin being a bit red and blotchy so you may want to soothe it with like a great tea toner with some lavender and chamomile to calm it down.

You could try a simple recipe at home like this:

- 1 Cup normal tap water or some bottled water
    - 4 tsp of fresh green tea leaves or 1 - 2 tea bags
    - 1 Vitamin C tablet, i use 500mg - 1000mg (optional)
    - Essential Oils (optional to suit your needs)

What to do:
    » Boil some water and make an infusion with the leaves or 1 - 2 tea bags (green tea). I personally cut open the tea bags and pour in the leaves. If using bags use 8 oz per bag.
    » Add 1 crushed Vitamin C tablet to the hot green tea, make sure that the vitamin C is a powder before adding it.
    » Stir periodically for 10 - 20 minutes.
    » Strain with a sieve if you cut open the tea bags or had loose leaves. Let the liquid cool before pouring it into a sterilized bottle.
    » Once cooled you can add 2-3 drops of any essential oils you'd like.

Basically wash your face, pat it dry and then you can either use a spray bottle or use a cotton swab and wipe all over your face and then proceed with your skincare regime.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Toners are to re-adjust the skin's Ph balance or soothe the skin after cleansing. Most solid soaps have a very high Ph, and most liquid cleansers contain detergents, both of which cause damage to the skin's acid mantel. I use a neutral Ph cleanser without detergent in it, so it's very mild. I don't feel I need a toner.
  • MissEMissE Posts: 60Registered Users
    Wow thanks for the reply! i will definitly try out that recipe. I'm not sure what my skin type is like to be honest, its dry and sometimes i get tiny spots that are really itchy, but then it also looks a bit oily. I know my skin is sensetive, but maybe its combination if i have dry AND oily? thanks for the help xx
    UK Curly! Pics in Fotki..
    3-a/b
    :love8:
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    I keep on thinking that astringent is the same as toner..
    3b-3c CG
  • ariesxtremeariesxtreme Posts: 123Registered Users
    Wow thanks for the reply! i will definitly try out that recipe. I'm not sure what my skin type is like to be honest, its dry and sometimes i get tiny spots that are really itchy, but then it also looks a bit oily. I know my skin is sensetive, but maybe its combination if i have dry AND oily? thanks for the help xx

Not a prob, as RedcatWaves mentioned, it may be the cleanser you're using. It may be stripping all the moisture from your skin since a lot of cleansers use harsh detergents that essentially leave your skin dry and itchy. Of course you can have both oily and dry skin aka combination. I'm mostly oily usually T-zone area and at times I do get dry patches on my cheeks when the weather tends to get dry like now.

Since you skin's sensitive I'd stick to a toner rather than an astringents contain alcohol to help with oily skin individuals. Hope the recipe I gave you helps you, give it a try and hopefully the soothing components of green tea and those essential oils will help.

Also look into your cleanser and see what the ingredients are, most likely it's stripping all the moisture from your skin. If so, try switching to something less harsh. I make my own cleansing cream that consists of jojoba oil, ground almonds and a few essential oils because I was having the same problem with my skin, as in it was so dry right after washing it. Definitely the toner and or astringent will help balance out your skin after washing also.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file