how much conditioner do you 2s put in your hair?

DolphinDolphin Registered Users Posts: 329
Last night I overdid it, haha, the top of my head is just...ugh. How much conditioner do you 2s put in? Like pea size, quarter size, what?
Some 2b in the back, mostly (using FIA) 2c/F/iii.

Fine hair, normal porosity, and normal elasticity.

I'm still new to this CG stuff, so ANY tips you could give me are appreciated. :)

I have Celiac Disease, which means I can't eat or use products with wheat in it.

Formerly known as curlygirl92 and mixofwavescurls

Comments

• plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    Depends on the length and hair properties. Porous hair needs more because it looses it faster, I think.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• missbanjomissbanjo Registered Users Posts: 3,088 Curl Neophyte
    As a leave in? None, I use AVG instead.
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
  • DolphinDolphin Registered Users Posts: 329
    here's a picture of my hair if that helps: http://i43.tinypic.com/muwncy.jpg
    Some 2b in the back, mostly (using FIA) 2c/F/iii.

Fine hair, normal porosity, and normal elasticity.

I'm still new to this CG stuff, so ANY tips you could give me are appreciated. :)

I have Celiac Disease, which means I can't eat or use products with wheat in it.

Formerly known as curlygirl92 and mixofwavescurls
  • elitaelita Registered Users Posts: 402 Curl Neophyte
    I use different amounts depending on how my hair feels. I use enough to get a lot of slip and detangle easily. It should squish when I scrunch it with conditioner in. My hair is thick and long so that usually equals about 2 quarter-size blobs. I always rinse all of my regular conditioner out, then I use only a pea-size amount of leave-in (if I use any at all).
    2a underneath, 2b/c on top, medium texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, high density
    mod-CG since Feb 2009
    HG Combo: CJDF, BCDC & AFL
    Other Favorites:
    all things Spiral Solutions and Curl Junkie!! :love5:
  • wavyRwavyR Registered Users Posts: 129
    i've always read about people using nickel size and quarter size amounts of rinse out, so i would do the same thing, thinking it was the "correct" thing to do. lately, i've been using much more, and i realize that i need more for my hair to be properly moisturized. this could be because my hair leans towards the porous side and is kind of thick.

i use about 2 palmfuls of rinse out, and about 2 nickel to quarter size blobs as a leave in.
    2b/c, med./coarse texture, med./high density & mod. porous http://public.fotki.com/wavyR/
    LOVE tresemme naturals, suave pomegranate, ecostyler, HESMU, BRHG, KCCC, CIAB, CCCClite, KY Jelly & JCN&S. HATE soy protein.

event.png

• finaleofseemfinaleofseem Registered Users Posts: 900
    wavyR wrote: »
    i've always read about people using nickel size and quarter size amounts of rinse out, so i would do the same thing, thinking it was the "correct" thing to do. lately, i've been using much more, and i realize that i need more for my hair to be properly moisturized. this could be because my hair leans towards the porous side and is kind of thick.

i use about 2 palmfuls of rinse out, and about 2 nickel to quarter size blobs as a leave in.
    +1

My hair isn't long, but it's prone to be dry. A quarter-sized amount of rinse out would do absolutely nothing for my hair. I use probably a palmful to a palmful and a half of rinse out. If I use a leave-in, I use between a nickel and quarter sized blob, depending on what leave-in I'm using, and how my hair feels.

That's all to say: everyone's hair is different. My hair consistently takes more product than others', but at the same time it's more porous, and it doesn't get weighed down easily.
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    I use less on top (my bangs get greasy easily), and more from the ears down. In fact, I pretty much soak the bottom 2/3.
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Registered Users Posts: 1,781
    It depends on how long your hair is (and the thickness and texture etc.) When my hair was almost BSL I needed a palmful of conditioner. Now that it is chin length I only need a tad bit more than a quarter sized blob.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    Well, evidently i use a lot of conditioner as well as gel. I use 2 1/2 squirts of rinse out. Each squirt is maybe a tablespoon. I use a pea size for leave in. I have an ear length bob. My hair would laugh in the face of a quarter size blob.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    pedaheh wrote: »
    Well, evidently i use a lot of conditioner as well as gel. I use 2 1/2 squirts of rinse out. Each squirt is maybe a tablespoon. I use a pea size for leave in. I have an ear length bob. My hair would laugh in the face of a quarter size blob.
    Peda, you and me both. I use a TON of gel, and a TON of rinse out. I'm about to start a new bottle of Tresemme Naturals condish, and I think I'm going to do an experiment on how long it lasts me, just to see. Same with my gels.

Bottom line: My hair is a product-eating black hole.

Summer Routine
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
  • wavyRwavyR Registered Users Posts: 129

Bottom line: My hair is a product-eating black hole.

+1

growing up i had longer hair, and when i lived at home, my mother used to always ask me if i were drinking the conditioner, cause i would go through it so quickly :lol:
    2b/c, med./coarse texture, med./high density & mod. porous http://public.fotki.com/wavyR/
    LOVE tresemme naturals, suave pomegranate, ecostyler, HESMU, BRHG, KCCC, CIAB, CCCClite, KY Jelly & JCN&S. HATE soy protein.

event.png

Same here, WavyR. My mom used to complain, even before I was CG and properly conditioning my hair. Now that I'm using enough to actually keep my hair moisturized ... well, let's just say my mom should be glad that she's no longer buying my conditioner.

Summer Routine
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
  • CurlyPolkaDotCurlyPolkaDot Registered Users Posts: 1,174
    Since my hair has low/med porosity I don't need too much, however since I am growing out my bob, My hair needs a good amount of moisture. It's very-very-very hard not to over do it, I agree
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii
    Countess DuckyDot :duckie: , Keeper of the book of Vegetarianism and Arty Pants, Leader of the Curly Ducks in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Away and might not be back. See me at: http://walkintowhispers.blogspot.com/
  • SbudskySbudsky Registered Users Posts: 261 Curl Neophyte
    I've read that you should eventually be able to tell intuitively how much conditioner your hair needs...Do you guys feel this way? How can you tell when your hair has just the right amount?

My hair, for example, seems to quickly soak up however much conditioner I put in... I keep adding more, and it keeps soaking it up. I often just chicken out after 2 or 3 quarter-sized squirts because my hair is not particularly long (just about shoulder length) or thick and it seems like it would be pretty easy to over do it.
    waves, loose coils, and cherub curls (=mixed 2s through 3a), very fine texture overall (but with medium and even coarse strands scattered throughout)
    Sbudsky wrote: »
    I've read that you should eventually be able to tell intuitively how much conditioner your hair needs...Do you guys feel this way? How can you tell when your hair has just the right amount?

My hair, for example, seems to quickly soak up however much conditioner I put in... I keep adding more, and it keeps soaking it up. I often just chicken out after 2 or 3 quarter-sized squirts because my hair is not particularly long (just about shoulder length) or thick and it seems like it would be pretty easy to over do it.
    I will start this by reiterating that my hair is a product-eating black hole, so I'm not the norm.

My hair is collarbone length when straight, and I START with about as much as you end up putting in your hair, if we're talking about rinse-out. I put a big palmful in my hand, and work it slowly through my hair, raking and scrunching. I'm looking for that seaweed-y feeling, and it generally takes another big blob to get that. Sometimes, rarely, if I haven't lowpoo'd in a while and have been using lots of moisturizing products, that first big blob is enough, but this has only happened a few times. My rule of thumb is: If my hair has eaten it up, I keep going, until my hair is coated and seaweedy feeling.

Now, if we're talking leave-in, I end up using about a dime to two dime sized blobs of a lighter condish in this weather.

Summer Routine
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
  • OmgEricaNicoleOmgEricaNicole Registered Users Posts: 5
    I use ALOT of conditioner. My hair is extraordinarily dry so I use 2 quarter sized amounts as a co wash. And then I use a handful for deep conditioning. My hair is so fine and highly porous. I don't think my hair will ever really get to the point of overconditioned.
  • plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    Do you guys apply conditioner to soaking wet hair or do you squeeze/scrunch out some of the water first? I always thought the hair should be drier to suck it up, and my hair dresser said that all adding it to soaking hair does it dilute it, but I do get a better feeling out of it when I add it to already very wet hair. What do you think?

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• rymorg2rymorg2 Registered Users Posts: 2,571
    Plunky, I'm a stylist...actually I TEACH stylists for a large corporate salon chain, and I always teach them to towel dry their clients hair before adding condtioner due to the dilution effect. I do it too (when I have time LOL) and I get much better results from it...but ymmv. Because your hair is so fine it may weigh down yours unless you do it the way you do, though I have fine hair too and a boatload of it. Mine is on the overly dense side. Does that help?
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file