Styling two-strand twists on short hair?

ShaunMCShaunMC Posts: 3Registered Users
Hey Ladies,

I'm newly natural (also first post!). I BC'd about a month ago-- after transitioning for around five. My hair is currently in a bit of an odd, in-between length.

Wash and gos are great; but when I two-strand twist my hair I have no clue what to do with them. I usually pin them back; but that's gotten old. Yes, one month in, and it's old.

The twists vary between 3" and 3.5" and aren't particularly thick. When they aren't pinned back, they're floppy and not in a cute full/fro-ish way.

Thoughts? Or do I need to retire the twists until I've gained more length?

Comments

• curlyhersheygirlcurlyhersheygirl Posts: 475Registered Users
    At that length I never wore my twists as a style I would wear the twist out (just my preference).I have seen others on youtube styled twists though I can't remember what length but you can check it out to get some ideas.HTH
  • Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Posts: 662Registered Users
    About a year and some change ago when my hair was about that length, I did some little twists and would put a Goody band on, or use some cute click-clacks in my hair. You can take a look @ My Fotki in the Nov 2008, Dec 2008, and Jan 2009 folders just to see what i was doing with my baby twists back then.

Don't give up on them. My twists came in quite handy back then.
    My Fotki

My Blog - A Day in the Life

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    TresEmme Curl Moisture Conditioner
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

Hair Type: Kinky Coily

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]
  • MyHairIsMyHobbyMyHairIsMyHobby Posts: 25Registered Users
    ShaunMC wrote: »
    Hey Ladies,

I'm newly natural (also first post!). I BC'd about a month ago-- after transitioning for around five. My hair is currently in a bit of an odd, in-between length.

Wash and gos are great; but when I two-strand twist my hair I have no clue what to do with them. I usually pin them back; but that's gotten old. Yes, one month in, and it's old.

The twists vary between 3" and 3.5" and aren't particularly thick. When they aren't pinned back, they're floppy and not in a cute full/fro-ish way.

I have the exact same problem! I chopped off my relaxed ends approx. 2 months ago and my twists look soo stingy!

What's worse is that my hair is very thick and it is shoulder length, but I cannot seem to make my twists look full.

Has anyone else had that problem? Does it matter if I twist it while wet or dry? I really need help!
    Last relaxer:
    April 1, 2010
    Shampoos:
    Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo
    Aubrey Organics HoneySuckle Rose Moisturizing Shampoo
    Conditioners:
    Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
    Alter Ego
    Really Loving My new Ayurvedic Regimen
    Currently Loving:
    Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Creme and Spritz!
    Follow Me On Twitter: @CurlTheory

event.png
  • NoodleNapsNoodleNaps Posts: 463Registered Users
    Hey Ladies,

I have the exact same problem! I chopped off my relaxed ends approx. 2 months ago and my twists look soo stingy!

What's worse is that my hair is very thick and it is shoulder length, but I cannot seem to make my twists look full.

Has anyone else had that problem? Does it matter if I twist it while wet or dry? I really need help!

I've been fretting about this recently too. My hair is bsl stretched, seems thick when I wash (and certainly when I'm detangling) but my twists look so pathetic. I just saw this post and wanted to cry at the first pic especially!

http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/10/chime-naturally-glam-hair-idol.html

But since I need to work with what I have, any tips on styling puny twists would be great.

Off to do some youtube research. Will report back if I find anything.
    Products in current rotation:

Terressentials Pure Earth Mud Wash; Elucence MBC (now really just for cowashing, leg shaving or emergencies); Curl Junkie: Repair Me, Deep Fix, Curl Rehab; AOHSR (retiring); Oyin Handmade: Honey Hemp, Hair Dew, J&B; Qhemet Biologics: BRBC (retiring- prefer Oyin HD), AOHC, OHHB; Jojoba Oil for scalp; Castor Oil or Shea butter to seal; Henna & Ayurvedic pastes when I can be bothered.

Still searching for the perfect stylers, but loving CJ CIAB over everything so far
  • charyjaycharyjay Posts: 10Registered Users
    Hey peeps,

I just recently BC'ed and I have a TWA (a little big fro since I transitioned for a year, but still, at TWA) and all I do is wear twists!

I have two YouTube vids on me wearing twists (and twist-out) styles in my hair. You can check them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZpRysXcYAY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHJJZGfuxyA

I find that by making your twists smaller, they're easier to mold into a style. Bobby pins are essential around this time too.

Hope that help guys!
  • MsSassyMsSassy Posts: 3Registered Users
    Hey Ladies,

My hair may be around your length. I have been trying different things with my twist. Flat twist and two strand together. Just keep experimenting!!
  • freecurlfreecurl Posts: 281Registered Users
    I just watched your videos and your hair is GORGEOUS!!!

charyjay wrote: »
    Hey peeps,

I just recently BC'ed and I have a TWA (a little big fro since I transitioned for a year, but still, at TWA) and all I do is wear twists!

I have two YouTube vids on me wearing twists (and twist-out) styles in my hair. You can check them out.

I find that by making your twists smaller, they're easier to mold into a style. Bobby pins are essential around this time too.

Hope that help guys!
  • msnappturallyhappymsnappturallyhappy Posts: 36Registered Users
    Hey Ladies,

I find that when twisting on wet hair my twists are fuller but then i get a lot of shrinkage.
  • msnappturallyhappymsnappturallyhappy Posts: 36Registered Users
    Hey peeps,

Hope that help guys!

So I'm about to totally subscribe!!!...my hair is very similar to yours and i almost have the same length as you do!:toothy10:
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair is 5-6 inches and I am not a fan of my hair in twists or a twist out at all...so I'd have to see your hair to see what you're talking about!
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • charyjaycharyjay Posts: 10Registered Users
    Hey peeps,

Hope that help guys!

So I'm about to totally subscribe!!!...my hair is very similar to yours and i almost have the same length as you do!:toothy10:

Cool! It's always great to have a hair twin! :headbang:

Thanks FreeCurl! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file