Hair growing out not down

jeweldjeweld Posts: 140Registered Users
Hey ladies, just wondering if anyone else has this problem, my hair is about 9in all over but it grows out not down. When it was shorter I thought and was hoping to get that mullet most ladies get as their hair grows but no, it continues to grow out evenly, naturally layered. Now I'm not complaining, hair is healthy and growing lovely, just curious if any ladies with longer hair have this, if so, could you please share pictures so I have an idea of whats to come thanks
Poo: Giovanni TTT
CoWash/Detangler: Any Suave on top of VO5, Yes to Cucumbers
DT: Aubrey Organics White Camellia, Amla/ Coconut milk, Castor oil
Styling Products: Yes to Cucumbers, EcoStyler, Longaid Curl Activator,
Daily Moisture: Hibiscus tea+Aubrey Organics White Camellia Spritz, Yes to Cucumbers, Homemade Whipped Avocado+ Green Tea Creme
Seal w/ Dabur Vatika Oil, Castor oil

Comments

• maybejadeymaybejadey Posts: 198Registered Users
    Story of my life. My hair grows out because it's so thick and coily. I doubt it'll grow down until it's darn near waist length. Nothing I can do about it, and I'm not complaining (anymore). If I feel like getting some downward action, I put some twists in and then swing my little twistout all around. Soon I'm missing my gravity-defying hair, and with a quick wash, it's back up and fro-ified =)
    Hair Type: A collection of incredibly dense, gravity-defying very defined coffee-stirrer diameter coils. I am currently exclusively wearing wash-and gos.

Products
    :Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner (low-poo), Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner, Grapeseed Oil, KCCC or Ecostyler Gel (stylers)

• jeweldjeweld Posts: 140Registered Users
    maybejadey wrote: »
    Story of my life. My hair grows out because it's so thick and coily. I doubt it'll grow down until it's darn near waist length. Nothing I can do about it, and I'm not complaining (anymore). If I feel like getting some downward action, I put some twists in and then swing my little twistout all around. Soon I'm missing my gravity-defying hair, and with a quick wash, it's back up and fro-ified =)

I gave up on twists, yeah I get the swing but I hate the way it looks since its layered plus I'm lazy and it takes me a century to do them. On good hair days I love the layers and as it continues to grow I'm sure I'll love it more but on bad days... up pony it is, to conceal the madness.
    Daily Moisture: Hibiscus tea+Aubrey Organics White Camellia Spritz, Yes to Cucumbers, Homemade Whipped Avocado+ Green Tea Creme
  • CoilyOne1812CoilyOne1812 Posts: 384Registered Users
    My out hair is about 10-13" long stretched. It's gotten floppier, but I'd say it's still fundamentally out hair because it sits on top of all of my other hair. I don't know if it will ever hang. Maybe if it reached my shoulders unstretched--which would be approximately double the current length--gravity would pull it more downward. Someone with that length will have to vouch for that. My misguided fringe in the front has no hair underneath and does hang if I smooth my conditioner in a downward motion.
    My other hair type at my nape hangs downward at only 6-8" long when stretched.
    layer cake of tight, spongy and silky/thready S strands that kink more than they coil
    spiced with a few spiral coils and non-curling waves
    mostly medium and fine with a sprinkle of coarse strands
    protein is yummy
  • DamaDulceDamaDulce Posts: 8Registered Users
    I've been natural for six years next month, but never had it much longer than two or three inches until recently. It tripped me out when I realized my hair literally defies gravity, even while wet. I think I'm dealing with some breakage in the back, so the top's a little longer (plus the curl is looser up top). My sisters have the same thing, even without breakage, so I guess it's normal. Anytime I want some hangtime, I'll have dh braid it and use a diluted leave-in conditioner in a wrap overnight. You can try just braiding the top sections or the bottom for a different "layered" look, although I'm not sure if it works on every head.

Blessed Be
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    I was at 10-12 inches couple months ago, and cut it back to 8 inches for the 3rd time to give my front a chance to catch up. I realized lately its just the way my hair grows so oh well . I wont be cutting it anymore.

My wash and gos shrink to 1-2 inches ,its the way of my hair and unless its stretched or twisted it wont be showing any length
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was at 10-12 inches couple months ago, and cut it back to 8 inches for the 3rd time to give my front a chance to catch up. I realized lately its just the way my hair grows so oh well . I wont be cutting it anymore.

My wash and gos shrink to 1-2 inches ,its the way of my hair and unless its stretched or twisted it wont be showing any length
    wow!!! your 10-12 inches shrinks to 1-2 inches:crybaby:my hair grows down. i wish it grew out so that i could have big hair :sad3:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair grows down on the sides and up on the top. I like up at the top because it gives me lift and body.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • jeweldjeweld Posts: 140Registered Users

Yeah, I did this too a while back only to find out my hair does what it wants to do... no use in fighting it anymore.

I use my top hair as bangs now
  • Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Posts: 662Registered Users
    That's funny. My hair in the top is a looser texture, so it flops pretty good, but the rest just shrinks up something terrible unless I have twists or a twist-out going on. It's crazy because my hair in the top is about 9 1/2 inches long and I think the back is about 5 - 6 from when I got my trim back in January. Then around my hairline right above my ears my hair hangs down and gives my fro a weird look sometimes. I figure if I can grow out about 10 more inches of hair mine just might hang.......a little. :dwarf:
    My Fotki

My Blog - A Day in the Life

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    TresEmme Curl Moisture Conditioner
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

Hair Type: Kinky Coily

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]
  • sobecurlsobecurl Posts: 313Registered Users
    My hair is about 14-15 inches. It will NEVER grow down, and I'm OK with that as long as it is healthy. If I want to wear a hanging style, I'll do a braid out or something to stretch my hair. My hair shrinks about 50% so my WnG's are getting taller/wider, but not longer (in the hang sense). Just comes with the territory of kinky hair.
    Over 10 years natural and still growing...
  • belwillcoilybelwillcoily Posts: 303Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    [quote=hippychic;1333173
    wow!!! your 10-12 inches shrinks to 1-2 inches:crybaby:my hair grows down. i wish it grew out so that i could have big hair :sad3:[/quote]

I'm so jealous! :tongue5:

I'll trade you my gravity defying hair for yours that grows down.:thumbright:

I know, I know, the grass is always greener and all that, but I am trying to hold onto my denial (for as long as possible, mind you) about the fact that my hair will probably NEVER grow down. Hang time only happens for me with hair that is very wet and loaded with lots of products (mainly conditioner and gel styler) then set in twists for a twist-out. Even after all that, though, once it dries it becomes big hair again, just minus most of the frizz due to all the product. :sad1:

I also deal with 50% shrinkage. While my hair is only about 6 inches stretched now and shrinks to about 3 inches, I know I'll be really upset when I have long length and nobody will know it unless I straighten it. Then everybody will probably assume I'm wearing a weave or a wig or something! :angry7:

What to do? What to do? I suppose I should listen to my dh and be happy I have a head full of healthy hair (regardless of texture) and keep stepping.:toothy10:

Holla!
    Bel
    :afro: Me Fascina El Pelo :afro:

Low Porosity; Medium Strands; Dense
  • Nicky791Nicky791 Posts: 679Registered Users
    I'm newly natural so please bear with me :)

But how does hair grow up? How do you know when your hair grows up? I've never done a wash 'n go for that very reason imo my hair at this length would only look nice if it grew or dried 'up'...but it doesn't seem like my hair would be able to do that.

So for the people that have hair that grows up, when you get out of the shower with wet hair is your hair still up or does it hang down and as it dries it eventually dries in an upward direction?
    Last Relaxer: March 26 2009
    Mini Chop: January 16 2010
    BC: April 4 2010
    Transitioned for 1yr 9days!
    Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/Nicky791/about/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Nicky791
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Nicky791 wrote: »

But how does hair grow up? How do you know when your hair grows up? I've never done a wash 'n go for that very reason imo my hair at this length would only look nice if it grew or dried 'up'...but it doesn't seem like my hair would be able to do that.

So for the people that have hair that grows up, when you get out of the shower with wet hair is your hair still up or does it hang down and as it dries it eventually dries in an upward direction?

Growing up/out is like having an afro, where your halo gets bigger in circumference rather than growing down like straight hair would (less volume). My hair is only about 3.5 inches, so I'm not sure if it will continue to grow out with weight, but mine basically looks the same out the shower as it as dry. hth
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Mine has always stood up, even while wet. When it's longer, it may drop a tad, but the overall direction is still upward. Not everyone's does this though. My brother's generally hangs down when wet.

Blessed Be
  • maybejadeymaybejadey Posts: 198Registered Users

The middle pic in my pikistrip is a good example of hair that grows up and not down. When wet, my hair looks pretty much the same, except that the topmost portion sometimes flops to one side if I have a part, creating a little "V" shape on top of my head. But yeah, the halo is a good image.
    Hair Type: A collection of incredibly dense, gravity-defying very defined coffee-stirrer diameter coils. I am currently exclusively wearing wash-and gos.

Products
    :Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner (low-poo), Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner, Grapeseed Oil, KCCC or Ecostyler Gel (stylers)

maybejadey wrote: »

The middle pic in my pikistrip is a good example of hair that grows up and not down. When wet, my hair looks pretty much the same, except that the topmost portion sometimes flops to one side if I have a part, creating a little "V" shape on top of my head. But yeah, the halo is a good image.

Love your tresses ma. If I could only figure out how to define my curls like that.... and keep it all day, lol.

Blessed Be
    Thanks so much for the wonderful responses! I love hair that grows up! I think is looks so much fuller and prettier as a wash 'n go....

maybejadey.... your hair is so pretty!!! Super jealous, hehehe

Here is a pic of my hair damp, when I wash my hair it automatically parts itself down the middle, go figure. hehe, I want to try a wash 'n go but how to I get it to dry 'up'? I'd hate for my hair to dry the same way is looks wet. Maybe I could give it a few tugs in an upward direction while it's drying? :tongue5:

IMG_3397-vi.jpg
    IMG_3399-vi.jpg
    Hmmm...do you ever try it shake it out? Sometimes my hair starts to fall but fluffs back out with I shake my fro.
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ellepixie wrote: »
    Hmmm...do you ever try it shake it out? Sometimes my hair starts to fall but fluffs back out with I shake my fro.

Yeah, that was one of the first things I tried to do. A friend of mine suggested that too me, didn't really work to well. hehe
    I just took a look at your Fotki and Blog... wow you have such great healthy looking curlies :icescream:
  • yamircarlayamircarla Posts: 38Registered Users
    Hello Ladies,
    I know exactly what you are talking about. When I flat iron my hair it hangs about 1/2 inch below my bra, but when I wear it natural, it shrinks all the way up to my shoulders. It took a long time for my hair to finally hang down when worn in its natural state. It's so funny because when I do a wash and go my curls are long and stretched, but by the end of the day it literally hangs right at my shoulders. I am finally after about 2 years accepting this, but shrinkage is an amazing thing. For about 4 years I mainly pulled it back into a pony tail, but that is so damaging.
  • bklyn_bellebklyn_belle Posts: 423Registered Users
    mine grows down i have to put a head tie on to prop it up. hmmm this is an interesting thread.
    Texture: proud 4a (3c at the nape).
    Regimen: co-wash everyday.deep condition, de-tangle and seal once a week.
    Current Favs: Treseme Naturals shampoo & conditioner, wide tooth comb, coconut oil, Shea Moisture curling smoothie, ampro clear styling gel .
    Protective Style: buns

visit my fashion & culture website: http://www.beautyandthestreetmag.blogspot.com
    I just took a look at your Fotki and Blog... wow you have such great healthy looking curlies :icescream:

Thank you!!! :)

I actually have been thinking about this a lot today....what the heck would make hair grow down/out? Not texture, not thickness, not curl pattern...so what the heck is it? All three combined? It's been driving me crazy today because my guy friend asked me about it and asked if all natural women have to grow afros or if some fall, and I told him it can be either, but I didn't have an answer as to why! It drove me nuts!
    YouTube
  • CoilyOne1812CoilyOne1812 Posts: 384Registered Users
    I think it's the combination of swirl and strand size. Clearly the tighter the curl pattern, the closer it wants to stay to your scalp--at least to start out. But after a certain length if you have two curlies with the size curl size, I think the one with more substantial, coarse strands might get hang time. Gravity should have a better hold on them. The one with finer strands gets hair floating and trying to reach out and touch someone. That's just my hypothesis.
    layer cake of tight, spongy and silky/thready S strands that kink more than they coil
    spiced with a few spiral coils and non-curling waves
    mostly medium and fine with a sprinkle of coarse strands
    protein is yummy
    I think it's the combination of swirl and strand size. Clearly the tighter the curl pattern, the closer it wants to stay to your scalp--at least to start out. But after a certain length if you have two curlies with the size curl size, I think the one with more substantial, coarse strands might get hang time. Gravity should have a better hold on them. The one with finer strands gets hair floating and trying to reach out and touch someone. That's just my hypothesis.

Hmm...good points. I was thinking strand size in the way that if the strands are thicker they may be able to pack together more b/c of that and the curls can hold onto each other...b/c I was thinking how Asian hair is often coarse but also has less volume.
    YouTube
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    my hair grows out and I like it that way. :)
    Twist outs give me a bit of hang but since its still a little short its not even impressive hangage to me.lol. Plus I prefer it when it gets a little more puffy
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • P.P.P.P. Posts: 1,617Registered Users Curl Neophyte

makes sense to me!
    True realism consists in revealing the surprising things
    which habit keeps covered and prevents us from seeing.
    - Jean Cocteau

scaled.php?server=707&filename=superwhymainimage.jpg&res=landing <---Fotki photo albums
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    Right now, my hair is approaching the mullet look. It's about 8-9'' stretched in the back and about 5-6'' stretched on top. I was considering getting it cut so that it would look even, but then I think once the cut grew out than it could end up looking like it did before, since my hair probably grows at different rates. It also grows up and out, but I don't mind too much. I have fine hair and it looks fuller that way, actually. If I want some hang, I do twistouts or braidouts for that.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
  • kfontkfont Posts: 20Registered Users
    I used to have my stylist cut the back of my hair an inch shorter than the rest, because it has a much looser curl that appears to grow much faster. If I hadn't done this, the back of my hair probably would have been to my mid back by now with the top at my ear lobes and some areas a little below. Now that the hair at the top of my head has grown out, it does a much better job of blending with my hair in the back. I haven't had it trimmed since October 2009.

I have more course/tighter curled hair at the top of my head and it used to grow out while the rest of my hair grew down. It gave my hair a fullness that I really loved. But in the last 2 or 3 months, the hair has started to grow down like the rest. I am still a little bummed about that, because my hair clips don't have the pop they used to have when I would wear them. But it is what it is.
  • cassadie3cassadie3 Posts: 506Registered Users

Hmm...good points. I was thinking strand size in the way that if the strands are thicker they may be able to pack together more b/c of that and the curls can hold onto each other...b/c I was thinking how Asian hair is often coarse but also has less volume.

I'm definitely an "out-grower". My strands are really fine, but also clump together really well to make a defined curl naturally. I would estimate that 10-20 strands will come together to make a tiny coil, but my hair is so light weight that even in a clumped into a coil, I'm not getting that much hang (yet).

Sometimes I have fantasies of attaching those weights that pull down a fishing line---sinkers I think they're called. my coils need sinkers!! j/k I actually like how mine grows out. I sense a BAA on the way!
    :::::::joie de vivre:::::::
    last relaxer: November 2008
    big chop: November 2009
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    4a, fine, dense, teeny weeny coils with low porosity

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file