Silicones and hair straightening.

CovetCovet Posts: 21Registered Users
Hi.

Just recently, I was reading something and someone said that silicones are good for heat protection when straightening the hair. Is that true? Do they actually protect from frizz and heat damage? It's just that when I straighten my hair, it will frizz pretty quickly. I went out yesterday to buy a heat protecting straighening serum so I hope it works... It's Fantasia, anyone have any experience with it?
APL assortment of waves and ringlets, complete with bleach damage on the ends.

For now -
CO: Tresemme Naturals
PT: Aphogee Two Minute Keratin Reconstructor
POO: Desert Essence Coconut Shampoo
Occasional FSG user.

:evil: Needs a serious curly cut but can't find a reputable salon in the UK :evil:

Comments

• MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Covet wrote: »
    Hi.

Just recently, I was reading something and someone said that silicones are good for heat protection when straightening the hair. Is that true? Do they actually protect from frizz and heat damage? It's just that when I straighten my hair, it will frizz pretty quickly. I went out yesterday to buy a heat protecting straighening serum so I hope it works... It's Fantasia, anyone have any experience with it?

They MASK frizz and heat damage. That's different from protect.

The only protective quality that I'm sure of (and I have not extensively researched this, so that's my disclaimer) is that the lubricant coating action makes flat irons move more swiftly and smoothly, hence minimizing the "frying action" damage that can occur if you slowly iron.

I think anyone with curly hair knows that you have to use more heat to get the curls out than, say, someone with relatively straight hair. That means more than one pass of that flat iron or going slower. Both will damage hair more than a quick pass with a less hot iron (or blow-dryer).

Silicones are a mask--they cover damage and they keep moisture out (so you don't frizz as much). The more silicone on the hair (and we curlies tend to use a lot, right, I did when I straightened, with silicones in poo, condish, styler, serum, heat protectant) the less permeable the cuticle and the less moisture.

So, any suggestion that siliciones are healthful for hair is crap. They simulate health and are very useful for frizz-control for cosmetic purposes. Absolutely,hence their popularity.

But it's like a person with badly acne-riddled and pock-marked skin putting on a beautifully enhanced but comedogenic foundation and blush and powder that's ironically causing more zits and blackheads. It covers the damage and makes one seem to have healthy and glowing skin, while all along making skin worse....

Nothing fully protects from heat damage--blowing or ironing with high heat. Hair will be damaged. Period. The cuticle will show it. Silicones mask that by smoothing the cuticle by coating it and sealing it. It doesn't heal it.

Silicones cover the damage and give the appearance of healthy hair, as a lot of makeup can give the illusion of healthy skin. Silicones actually promote more if used to such an extent that it becomes an impermeable coating, because it fools the user into thinking hair is now SLEEK AND HEALTHY, so I can keep frying it. It continues the cycle of damage and frizz-creation (sans silicones) by making harsher cleansers necessary to remove its coating from strands.

This short article is to the point without being silicone-phobic--evenhanded and not alarmist : http://clementejavier.com/silicone-based-products

I have no problem with folks doing what they want with hair--curl, straighten, silicones, no silicones. But I think the "it protects your hair" bit is a fib beyond the lube quality. People assume cause hair looks good using cones, it must be good hair with silicones protecting and health-enhancing the state of the hair. That's a lousy bit of logic. ;)

It's like saying taking arsenic makes one's skin glow, so it must be good for one's health.

But I could be mistaken and you can always research it. Search engines are our friends.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • CovetCovet Posts: 21Registered Users
    MirCurls wrote: »
    Hi.

The only protective quality that I'm sure of (and I have not extensively researched this, so that's my disclaimer) is that the lubricant coating action makes flat irons move more swiftly and smoothly, hence minimizing the "frying action" damage that can occur if you slowly iron.

I think anyone with curly hair knows that you have to use more heat to get the curls out than, say, someone with relatively straight hair. That means more than one pass of that flat iron or going slower. Both will damage hair more than a quick pass with a less hot iron (or blow-dryer).

Silicones are a mask--they cover damage and they keep moisture out (so you don't frizz as much). The more silicone on the hair (and we curlies tend to use a lot, right, I did when I straightened, with silicones in poo, condish, styler, serum, heat protectant) the less permeable the cuticle and the less moisture.

So, any suggestion that siliciones are healthful for hair is crap. They simulate health and are very useful for frizz-control for cosmetic purposes. Absolutely,hence their popularity.

But it's like a person with badly acne-riddled and pock-marked skin putting on a beautifully enhanced but comedogenic foundation and blush and powder that's ironically causing more zits and blackheads. It covers the damage and makes one seem to have healthy and glowing skin, while all along making skin worse....

Nothing fully protects from heat damage--blowing or ironing with high heat. Hair will be damaged. Period. The cuticle will show it. Silicones mask that by smoothing the cuticle by coating it and sealing it. It doesn't heal it.

Silicones cover the damage and give the appearance of healthy hair, as a lot of makeup can give the illusion of healthy skin. Silicones actually promote more if used to such an extent that it becomes an impermeable coating, because it fools the user into thinking hair is now SLEEK AND HEALTHY, so I can keep frying it. It continues the cycle of damage and frizz-creation (sans silicones) by making harsher cleansers necessary to remove its coating from strands.

This short article is to the point without being silicone-phobic--evenhanded and not alarmist : http://clementejavier.com/silicone-based-products

I have no problem with folks doing what they want with hair--curl, straighten, silicones, no silicones. But I think the "it protects your hair" bit is a fib beyond the lube quality. People assume cause hair looks good using cones, it must be good hair with silicones protecting and health-enhancing the state of the hair. That's a lousy bit of logic. ;)

It's like saying taking arsenic makes one's skin glow, so it must be good for one's health.

But I could be mistaken and you can always research it. Search engines are our friends.

Wow. Just wow. And the serum I bought actually said it protects the hair. I guess these companies can get away with a lot huh?
    APL assortment of waves and ringlets, complete with bleach damage on the ends.

For now -
    CO: Tresemme Naturals
    PT: Aphogee Two Minute Keratin Reconstructor
    POO: Desert Essence Coconut Shampoo
    Occasional FSG user.

:evil: Needs a serious curly cut but can't find a reputable salon in the UK :evil:
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    MirCurls wrote: »
    Hi.

Wow. Just wow. And the serum I bought actually said it protects the hair. I guess these companies can get away with a lot huh?

Depends on what one means by "protect". Ads and descriptions can get away with a lot. They could say it lubricates, they could say silicones conduct heat more slowly (yeah, but if it's 300+ degrees, hair still is gonna get damaged, maybe not as fast my milliseconds).

Anyway, just remember the simple CG lessons: If you have to use harsh surfactants to get it off your hair, it will dry your hair. If you have to apply high heat to the hair to get it to do something, it will damage the hair. If you have to chemically alter the hair with strong chemicals, it will damage the hair.

I know that by using hair dye on my grays, I am doing some damage (though I never go lighter, only darker, so skip the harsher bleaches). I accept that I do that, and I condition faithfully and do protein tx as needed. But imagine if I used harsh sulfates, flat-ironed daily, and also dyed? A triple threat.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file