Should I BC myself or should I go to stylist

chel325chel325 Posts: 6Registered Users
Hello ya'll! I'm fairly new to this site and have been just lurking around, learning things. I'm so glad this site is here with so many natural women and men who love their natural beauty.

So I have been transitioning for almost 9 months and my new growth is coming in. At first the hair was coarse, brittle, hard and unmanageable. I learned that this is scab hair and whoa I had a whole bunch of it. That didn't discourage me, I loved my scab hair because I thought it was my texture =). But about a month or two ago I noticed that my new new growth is curly and soft! It still amazes me to this day! I have curly hair!! I cannot believe that haha. You better believe my hands are constantly in my hair and it feels so good. I think I am 4a or 4b or 3c or something, I guess I won't know till I chop it which will be in 2 weeks when I go home from university.

So yes I am sooo excited for my big chop, I have been watching videos and reading stories and viewing pictures, it is ridiculous, I am obsessed. Haha, so I want to cut my hair myself. I want to go out and buy some hair scissors and chop away but I'm not sure if that is what is best for my hair. Should I go to a stylist or do you think it is okay for me to cut it myself?

If you think I should cut it myself is there any technique or anything?

Sorry for the long post but could you all give me advice?
Thanks!

Comments

• maybejadeymaybejadey Posts: 198Registered Users
    Nothing wrong with cutting it yourself. I went to a stylist, but that's just because I transitioned from little to nothing, so I was more afraid of cutting my scalp, haha.

If you do it yourself, just be sure to have a friend/family member/someone you trust help make sure you got all of the ends. I recently had to help my gf finish taking off her relaxed ends/scab hair (she'd been natural for about 3 months since then), and she was surprised at how well behaved her hair became after getting rid of those unruly ends.
    Hair Type: A collection of incredibly dense, gravity-defying very defined coffee-stirrer diameter coils. I am currently exclusively wearing wash-and gos.

Products
    :Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner (low-poo), Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner, Grapeseed Oil, KCCC or Ecostyler Gel (stylers)

• chel325chel325 Posts: 6Registered Users
    maybejadey wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with cutting it yourself. I went to a stylist, but that's just because I transitioned from little to nothing, so I was more afraid of cutting my scalp, haha.

If you do it yourself, just be sure to have a friend/family member/someone you trust help make sure you got all of the ends. I recently had to help my gf finish taking off her relaxed ends/scab hair (she'd been natural for about 3 months since then), and she was surprised at how well behaved her hair became after getting rid of those unruly ends.
    Okay thank you for the advice. I really want to do it myself, it will be liberating and an important experience. Plus I don't trust hairdressers half the time.
  • curlsugarcurlsugar Posts: 240Registered Users
    do it yourself!!! it will be an experience to remember. :)

just get some good hair cutting shears and have a friend to help you with the back.

mane and chic had a great article recently on how to prepare for the BC: http://maneandchic.blogspot.com/2010/03/preparing-for-big-chop.html

good luck and have fun with it!
    Natural since '03
  • DamaDulceDamaDulce Posts: 8Registered Users
    If you trust yourself with shears, definitely do it yourself. If you're anything like me, you might want to go to a stylist, lol. It'd be traumatizing otherwise. Me, I was an idiot and let my sister do it. Still traumatized.

Blessed Be
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    depends on how much hair you are trying to save... i did mine myself but ended up getting my head shaved after. i didn't care about length.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • coshun2003coshun2003 Posts: 199Registered Users
    i did it myself and I really enjoyed it. It was my first time cutting hair period and after I was done I felt connected to my hair. As I was cutting each strand I felt more and more excited about my new head of coils. If you can I would definatly do it yourself.
    :love1:3c/4a Hair
    Last Relaxer: April 25, 2009
    BC: December 20, 2009
    5yrs Natural
    2nd BC planned for 6yr Naturalversary
  • kandiekj100kandiekj100 Posts: 115Registered Users
    Why not do both? The first time going natural, I cut it myself. Then later I went to get it cleaned up a bit by a professional.
  • chel325chel325 Posts: 6Registered Users
    Why not do both? The first time going natural, I cut it myself. Then later I went to get it cleaned up a bit by a professional.

Good idea!
  • tsha74tsha74 Posts: 81Registered Users
    That's my plan I just did my BC last Tuesday, but I had transitioned for 17 months so I didn't have a lot of relaxer left. I'm planning to get a professional even me out. LOL
    Last Relaxer: Nov 2008
    Transitioned: 18 months
    BC: April 4/20/2010
  • kalanekalane Posts: 424Registered Users
    my mom went to 2 different stylists on 3 separate occasions to get her BC because the first 2 times, the stylist didn't think she should cut off "all her pretty hair". i guess the moral of the story is make sure your stylist understands the concept of going natural.
    fotki twitter blog

event.png

In short, the characteristics of the powerful, whatever they may be, are thought to be better than the characteristics of the powerless – and logic has nothing to do with it.
    -- Gloria Steinem

• BleuSavoyBleuSavoy Posts: 13Registered Users

that's exactly what i did. and i have no regrets :)
    BC'd November 2008
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    BleuSavoy wrote: »

that's exactly what i did. and i have no regrets :)
    +1
    I do not regret doing it myself the first time. There was something powerful in snipping off the old, seeing the curls spring to life and feeling like you are holding and owning your own decision.

I went to a stylist a few months afterward to change the shape, but since then I have been trimming my hair when needed myself.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file