CurlTalk

shortening

SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
Ok - thats it. After another batch of cookies were ruined by shortening, I'm not using it any more. Its just too strong of a taste for my cookies. So, now that said - what do I use instead? Does margarine work? Or does shortening do something that margarine doesn't?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Hi! smile.gif I'm not sure if you can substitute, but have you tried the butter-flavored shortening? That might help. I've never tried it so if you do let us know how it is!
    This is a little off the subject, but did you know shortening can go bad. I didn't. I don't really bake a lot so I usually have a can around for quite a while. Made a cake about a year ago. Didn't realize the shortening had spoiled. We all sat down to eat it and spit it out at the same time. Just thought I would warn everyone.
    I can honestly say that I've used butter, butter flavored shortening, and regular shortening to make cookies and I can't ever recall being able to TASTE the shortening. Are you sure that's what you're tasting?
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CurlyGurlyNYC:
    I can honestly say that I've used butter, butter flavored shortening, and regular shortening to make cookies and I can't ever recall being able to TASTE the shortening. Are you sure that's what you're tasting?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never could taste it either, but believe me, once it goes bad you will taste it and you won't like it!
    Yeah, its the shortening. I know what shortening tastes like because one time I made the mistake of tasting the batter after only blending the shortening and sugars together (normally its butter and sugars which tastes good smile.gif ). I don't think I'll forget that flavor for a while. Ick! Maybe its like munchin said, and it went bad. It is on the scale of years old because I don't use shortening alot. It also might be that I'm using it on somewhat plain tasting cookies, like sugar cookies and snickerdoodles.