Securing the pony puff

kandiekj100kandiekj100 Posts: 115Registered Users
I have yet to find the right tool to aide me in achieving a completely fierce and full pony puff. It seems either the items pull too much at my hair (the headbands with the teeth) or the slide right off my head. I tried the stocking cap, and that was a no-go.

What accessory are you using to secure your pony puff afro puff, curly afro puff, etc?

Comments

• gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    goody's elastic bands work for me
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    *Sigh* I am embarrassed to even say this.. but I have very thick hair and A LOT if it. And I have such a hard time getting ponytail holders and other devices to hold all my hair in it securely.

And gosh I am so mortified to repeat this AGAIN.. but what I do is cut pantyhose legs and use those. I buy cheap pantyhose at the dollar store for this very purpose.

I just cut the legs off and use them. It holds my hair very securely and because of the nylon it doesn't get stuck in my hair or rip it. And I have so much hair that my ponytail covers the pantyhose leg so you can't even see what I have in my hair to hold it up.. you can just see that my hair is up and I just tuck the ends in and under. I dye my hair blue black so I always get the jet black pantyhose.

I like it because you can cut them as long or short as you need and loosen or tighten easily. You want it tighter.. you just pull on the ends more.

I love it...because it gives me that ponytail or updo look but all my hair is secure and I still have my wild fullness that I love even though it's a ponytail.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • whitechocolate629whitechocolate629 Posts: 46Registered Users
    *Sigh* I am embarrassed to even say this.. but I have very thick hair and A LOT if it. And I have such a hard time getting ponytail holders and other devices to hold all my hair in it securely.

And gosh I am so mortified to repeat this AGAIN.. but what I do is cut pantyhose legs and use those. I buy cheap pantyhose at the dollar store for this very purpose.

I just cut the legs off and use them. It holds my hair very securely and because of the nylon it doesn't get stuck in my hair or rip it. And I have so much hair that my ponytail covers the pantyhose leg so you can't even see what I have in my hair to hold it up.. you can just see that my hair is up and I just tuck the ends in and under. I dye my hair blue black so I always get the jet black pantyhose.

I like it because you can cut them as long or short as you need and loosen or tighten easily. You want it tighter.. you just pull on the ends more.

I love it...because it gives me that ponytail or updo look but all my hair is secure and I still have my wild fullness that I love even though it's a ponytail.

Girl, nothing to be embarrassed about at all! The infamous PHHB= pantyhose headband, and it works like a charm! Definitely a staple for me when I do puffs/ponytails.
    Wait ? How do you use them as a headband ? Do you have to double them up on top of eachother ? Cause they seem kind of thin.

I usually just use regular head bands or scarves for that... but yeah.. as a headband might work.

How do you make it ?
  • kandiekj100kandiekj100 Posts: 115Registered Users
    :confused4:

I tried the stocking trick or so I thought, but apparently I cut the stocking incorrectly. I cut the top of the hose at the waist and tie knot. I will have to try it the way you indicated.

Do you find that you have to buy a lot of replacement hoses (is that word?:confused4:) because of itgetting stretched out?
  • whitechocolate629whitechocolate629 Posts: 46Registered Users
    Wait ? How do you use them as a headband ? Do you have to double them up on top of eachother ? Cause they seem kind of thin.

I usually just use regular head bands or scarves for that... but yeah.. as a headband might work.

How do you make it ?

I guess not a headband per se, but I use it just in the manner you describe, to hold my hair in a big puff or a smaller one if I choose. That's the nice thing about them because you can adjust it to the size you want (how much hair you want to hold back). There's tutorials on youtube that I learned from.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Smile2DayTears2Morro#p/u/145/OgWRlb5aR4c

**WARNING The girl is a TRIP!!!!
    I tried the stocking trick or so I thought, but apparently I cut the stocking incorrectly. I cut the top of the hose at the waist and tie knot. I will have to try it the way you indicated.

Do you find that you have to buy a lot of replacement hoses (is that word?:confused4:) because of itgetting stretched out?

I wouldn't have never thought to cut the waist part.. I guess I wouldn't see how to use it that way, the legs seem more beneficial to me. LOL!

Anyway... nope. I don't find that I have to buy a lot of replacement hose at all. Yeah they stretch out but then I just wrap them until I get to the end. You still can't even see the pantyhose..so it doesn't matter.

I guess not a headband per se, but I use it just in the manner you describe, to hold my hair in a big puff or a smaller one if I choose. That's the nice thing about them because you can adjust it to the size you want (how much hair you want to hold back). There's tutorials on youtube that I learned from.

Oh okay.. I like the part where she stopped in the front before she started moving it back. I can see it as a head band like that. Also I would have to tuck the ends cause I don't like the Minnie Mouse ears.. ROFL!

But I have a lot more hair than her and it's way longer..so I would need to I guess double it to get a wider headband sort of look because my hair would fall over the thing and you wouldn't be able to see the band area.

She made that darn thing tight as heck though didn't she.. Oy! I know I would have a horrible migraine. LOL!
  • kandiekj100kandiekj100 Posts: 115Registered Users

How do you make it ?

Okay, can I say that after hearing Marah's description and seeing the video of this girl (who is truly a trip and half) I feel like such an idiot for not getting this. I've heard people say they use a pantyhose on several occasion. i don't know why it didn't click with me that it was the leg of the damn hose. And the flattening of the hose against the head and moving slowly upward may serve me well.

I used to wind up with a puff that was either too small and essentially was a ponytail or too wide. I'd want the puff the front fo the puff to start at the crown, but the hose would just roll back. I could not get it stay in place. I will have to try this. Thanks ladies.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file