People being misleading on Youtube.

hotchocolatehotchocolate Posts: 59Registered Users Curl Neophyte
There's a natural on Youtube, who wore yarn braids for a while, but came on and said her products that she makes and sells grew her hair. Okay, she put weave in her hair for a couple of weeks and said it was her special products that she sells. I just think thats false, if I put my hair in protective styles my hair will grow too, but do people really believe it's the product? Sheesh!

Comments

• hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    :sign5:

youtube is the new marketing hype! anyone can get on there, say whatever and sell their wares to their followers (i.e., subbies) :munky2:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nicole.nicole. Posts: 74Registered Users
    Lmao...I think I know EXACTLY who you're talking about. How can someone be a product junkie for the whole natural journey and then all of a sudden say that some other products are making hair grow? Uhmm...huh?

• *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There's a natural on Youtube, who wore yarn braids for a while, but came on and said her products that she makes and sells grew her hair. Okay, she put weave in her hair for a couple of weeks and said it was her special products that she sells. I just think thats false, if I put my hair in protective styles my hair will grow too, but do people really believe it's the product? Sheesh!

Who BlackOnyx77 ?

This is the bottom line:

People that don't have some sort of disease or disorder that prevents hair growth... their hair grows PERIOD!

The problem is a lot of people handle their hair in ways that cause breakage which often makes it look like the hair hasn't grown. Hair grows from the scalp..it is growing. People just manipulate their hair sometimes in harsh ways that cause damage and breakage. It gives the illusion the hair isn't growing.

Protective styles DO NOT make the hair grow. All protective styles do is what the name indicates.. they offer protection from breakage that many get from manipulating the hair with combs, their hands, brushes, blow dryers, flat irons, etc. The hair is allowed to rest...then it doesn't break..so once the protective style is taken down.. one can see their length retention.

None of these so called topical products people use actually grow hair. I don't care if they are homemade or not. Some can add strength to the hair and extra elasticity that helps cut down on breakage thus retaining length.. it doesn't mean those things MADE the hair grow.

Having said all that.. I don't knock people for doing what works for them as long as it's not harmful. And not a lot of people mean what they say to deliberately lie. It's just that people sometimes word things in a way that it's commonly understood a certain way.

For instance: Like the whole "protective styles grow the hair" statements. No they don't grow the hair. One's hair grows from the inside out.. a protective style has nothing to do with that but people say that phrase and what they really mean is the protective style has allowed them to retain length. They just word it wrong. Just like with products.. someone will say.. "Oh such and such product grew my hair". Well no the product didn't grow your hair.. what it did was offer some protection and/or added elasticity to the hair that resulted in less breakage thus retaining length.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • kandiekj100kandiekj100 Posts: 115Registered Users

Who BlackOnyx77 ?

Couldn't be BlackOnyx77... She doesn't strike me as someone who say that I think she really is more likely to say her products add softness, created shine, add slip, retain length. I don't see her saying that her products will help your hair grow. But maybe I'm wrong.

On another note, if someone has found a way to make a little extra cash, then that is great, but I have to say I am quite tired of looking at the youtube videos (and seeing on NC as well) searching for hair ideas, only to be bombarded with the marketing for their hair products, which basically just does the same thing as youtuber x,y & z's products, which probably all do nothing more than a little conditioner, a few oils, and shea butter do to begin with. I just want to see the hairstyle. You do not have to mention your product in every other sentence. If I wanted to check out products, I would have clicked on a video for products.

Couldn't be BlackOnyx77... She doesn't strike me as someone who say that I think she really is more likely to say her products add softness, created shine, add slip, retain length. I don't see her saying that her products will help your hair grow. But maybe I'm wrong.

Well it was a guess... considering she has these videos up:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oWbMpJ_uVQ&playnext_from=TL&videos=7IRMLtqxCqE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8WiHTzdlo0&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e801CX5N108&feature=channel

But hey.. I could be wrong. The OP could mean another Youtuber..lot of natural youtubes out there.

Like I said I just guessed but she (BlackOnyx) did say in the headings "products that helped my hair grow so fast". Then in the videos she talks about how HER hair products grew her hair so fast and why she started selling them.

And well the reality is.. no topical product "grows" the hair. LOL! But hey if they worked to help her retain length.. I say great for her.
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    LOL I dont watch YT, its annoying as hell! Its too many out there. I watch more music videos and skating videos than hair stuff,

Heck I uploaded two videos to my own channel and forgot about it, but to each his own
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    people are misleading everywhere about everything,that is nothing new.that's why you have to do your OWN research.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]

Who BlackOnyx77 ?

On another note, if someone has found a way to make a little extra cash, then that is great, but I have to say I am quite tired of looking at the youtube videos (and seeing on NC as well) searching for hair ideas, only to be bombarded with the marketing for their hair products, which basically just does the same thing as youtuber x,y & z's products, which probably all do nothing more than a little conditioner, a few oils, and shea butter do to begin with. I just want to see the hairstyle. You do not have to mention your product in every other sentence. If I wanted to check out products, I would have clicked on a video for products.
    u took the words right out of my mouth @ bolded. it is annoying as hell :angry6:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    Well I am guilty and bought some of her hair products. (shea yogurt, betonite clay, hair glosser, and green apple hair perfume). However not because I think that will make my hair grow. They just sounded good from other reviews not done by her (did I mention I can be a PJ in denial at times). But yeah I must agree: HAIR IS GONNA GROW!!!! It's just how you handle it. I learned this lesson with my first hair growth oil I applied to my sides because I was like it grows the slowest so let's even the odds... guess what still grows slow LOL!!!:toothy6:
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
    Did she actually FINALLY list ALL the ingredients in these products she makes ?

Some of the people under her videos in the comments sections were saying they felt they had a right to know exactly what is IN her products so they know what they are putting in their hair.. apparently on some of the products she has been putting.. "secret blend"... instead of listing the full ingredients she used.

Honestly, even if I did use stylers I couldn't go for that.... especially stuff people make in their homes that are regulated by anything besides their own discretion.

Some of the people under her videos in the comments sections were saying they felt they had a right to know exactly what is IN her products so they know what they are putting in their hair.. apparently on some of the products she has been putting.. "secret blend"... instead of listing the full ingredients she used.

Honestly, even if I did use stylers I couldn't go for that.... especially stuff people make in their homes that are regulated by anything besides their own discretion.
    she's not the only supplier that lists secret blend or whatever. afroveda has 'herbal complex'. i've seen other labels just as misleading/inaccurate/not labeled according to cosmetic guidelines/not preserved properly. this is a huge turn-off for me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users

Nah dude, but TW did the same thing. In her conditioner and other products she listed all the ingredients but the Bodifier she did not. Now she lists all the ingredients for the Bodifier and there was a thread that was started saying did she change the ingredients (petrolueum or something like it is now in the Bodifier) or was it there all along. I think when they hold back the ingredients it has to do with being scared a bigger corporation or others will steal the product and push it as their own. This happens when things aren't patented, I think? Any lawyers on here? Help me out before I talk myself into a whole if I haven' t already:mrgreen:
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • HipsterSoulHipsterSoul Posts: 1,017Registered Users
    I've always been skeptical about buying products from people who make products themselves in their home.
    Samielle1 wrote: »
    I've always been skeptical about buying products from people who make products themselves in their home.

Me too.. I am scuuuuuuuuuuured. They will never get me and make all my hair fall out or skin get rash! LOL!
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    Some of the best stuff started off in kitchens.. Karens Body Beautiful... OyinHandmade...... Myashas...

Ive seen a lot of rave reviews so far, seems interesting... I just wish her website was better. I dont like going on YT to view things. I cant knock her hustle

As soon as I get all my ducks in a row my ETSY shop will be opening myself.
  • jada1111jada1111 Posts: 829Registered Users

There's a girl with long beautiful natural hair that I don't believe is hers. I don't care what she or anyone else says. I've never seen her part it in any type of way to show her scalp. I'm not talking about the chick who sells the oil either. It's someone else.

I take what I see on youtube with a grain of salt most times, especially when it's their OWN products involved. Not saying that it's not true, but everything doesn't work for everybody.
    Jada1111

HAIR TYPE: 4a all over/3c around nape/edges; Last relaxer -4/4/02; Big chop - 4/16/03

http://public.fotki.com/jada1111/
    PW: flower
    i'm not afraid of home-based products! as was said, some of the based products started off in someone's home :) i just wish all labeling was correct and people actually knew the difference between a preservative, an antioxidant and essential oil basics BEFORE they start selling.:oops:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • 1NappyNewbie1NappyNewbie Posts: 169Registered Users
    All I can say is WOW! Like Ri said...do your OWN research. That's the best way to go ;-)
  • violetmauvevioletmauve Posts: 177Registered Users
    I was curious (I'm not a subscriber). Yes the video does sound like I'm watching a commercial. Well I'm content with my hair care products so I doubt I'll fix something that's not broken:p
  • cheveuxboucléscheveuxbouclés Posts: 1,111Registered Users
    LOL I dont watch YT, its annoying as hell! Its too many out there. I watch more music videos and skating videos than hair stuff,

Heck I uploaded two videos to my own channel and forgot about it, but to each his own

We live in a narcissistic society. Everybody needs to be a star. My thing is...how many dang 'how to do a pony puff' videos do we need? I can see if you are doing something different, but the stuff is so repetitive and ALL that talking rakes my nerves...just show me the style already.
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    Don't knock "home based" product companies, folks. Carol's Daughter started in Lisa Price's kitchen, AND her products were WAY BETTER before they became mass produced. Gotta start somewhere.

Some of the best hair/body products made are made in someone's home, so....

As far as Black Onyx...and all the OTHER folks who market their own products (why wouldn't they?), it's up to the consumer to make decisions as to what they will and will not buy. Why pick on her...if that's who folks are talking about?

Everybody claims their products will do something they often don't do...not for everybody. For instance, I have YET to try any "growth oils" that actually made my hair grow in any faster. Yet everybody makes a "growth oil" that's supposed to grow hair, super long, and super fast, so they tell it. And???? What? Again, who gets to be singled out?

What I'm sick of is all these YouTube videos, that are super poor quality....can't see the person (don't they know the video is too dark?), nor the product, loud music, babies cryin', glass breakin', strange men walkin' in front and back of the camera...I mean I could go on. Clean up the area where "filming" will take place. Why you got a Kentucky Fried Chicken box, on the table, next TO the product you're "reviewing". I'm just sayin'.

End of my rant.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
    jada1111 wrote: »

There's a girl with long beautiful natural hair that I don't believe is hers. I don't care what she or anyone else says. I've never seen her part it in any type of way to show her scalp. I'm not talking about the chick who sells the oil either. It's someone else.

I take what I see on youtube with a grain of salt most times, especially when it's their OWN products involved. Not saying that it's not true, but everything doesn't work for everybody.

Is it Shima? I'm definately not buying from her. She looks shady, lol.
    Some of the best stuff started off in kitchens.. Karens Body Beautiful... OyinHandmade...... Myashas...

Ive seen a lot of rave reviews so far, seems interesting... I just wish her website was better. I dont like going on YT to view things. I cant knock her hustle

As soon as I get all my ducks in a row my ETSY shop will be opening myself.

I don't mind if you're selling homeade product, everyone has to start somewhere. It's how it's marketed.

If you're selling your product through a consignment or a Farmer's Market or something that's different because it's through a reputable source. I'm not going to give someone my credit card information to go straight to their home either.

I think it's good that you're doing it through Etsy, then I know my information isn't being given out like that.
  • NaturallyNikéNaturallyNiké Posts: 364Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I think she is talkng about Leanna's Hair

http://www.leannashair.com/

and yes Shima is VERY shady, she was outed on another hair forum, and is very disrespectful
    Niké (Nee-Kay):nike:

My world of curls
    2hchy5z.jpg3C/4A,Fine-Meduim,Thick, Lo Porosity

http://public.fotki.com/lilnicka4u2nv/

Leave-in/Moisturizer: Giovanni Direct Leave in
    Sealants:EVOO, JBCO, Crisco
    DC:Matrix Condtioning Balm,Giovanni SAS,Honey, Glycerin
    Shampoo:Dr.Bronner's Castile soap bar
    Styler: Flaxseed,DM Miracurl, SheaMoist Smoothie, OYH S&D
  • cheveuxboucléscheveuxbouclés Posts: 1,111Registered Users

I think she is talkng about Leanna's Hair

http://www.leannashair.com/

and yes Shima is VERY shady, she was outed on another hair forum, and is very disrespectful

Leanna is a young girl or teenager, if it is a hustle, then it's her parents hustling...and she does sell oil. I think that is her hair though. She does have parts in it and you can see her as a little girl with long hair in some of the pictures. And to stereotype, I think she is Haitian and Haitians alot of times have really thick and resililent hair.

you should be. from what i was told by professionals this is a bad bad idea cause one, some people don't know what the hell they're doing, two you don't know how sterile everything is (then wondering why stuff is growing mold) and three, some folks don't know the chemistry of xyz.

and then you wonder why your hair is breaking off.
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    empressri wrote: »

you should be. from what i was told by professionals this is a bad bad idea cause one, some people don't know what the hell they're doing, two you don't know how sterile everything is (then wondering why stuff is growing mold) and three, some folks don't know the chemistry of xyz.

...or you're growing a eye in the middle of your head.

Seriously. Yes, there are folks who don't know what they're doing. Matter of fact, there is somebody right now that's making products, and makes a product I LOVE, and I'm tempted to tell her that for one of the products (that I can never get my hands on, cuz she always sells out), she needs to add some type or preservative, because oils and water will "mold" on you, after awhile.

BUT there are folks who DO know what they're doing, and that's why WE as consumers must be educated so we know, based on what's in a product, if the maker knows what they're doing.

Yes, there's a certain amount of faith we extend to those we don't know...and since we can't place hidden cameras in their homes/factories/labs, we take a chance.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • maysaymaysay Posts: 218Registered Users

I would say maybe 95% of the people selling homemade products don't know what the heck they're doing. And you can tell when you hear their explanations for things in their videos or read it on their websites. Shoot, most of the hair idols have no clue what they're talking about either but folks follow them blindly.

Anyway, it's a risk no matter what. You buy it from someone who makes it in their kitchen/bathroom and you could be getting germs from their family or their baby could have accidentally poured some juice in it for all you know. You buy something from the store and you're probably getting rat pee and ground up roaches from the factory in your product.

As a consumer, you can't win because there's no regulation done of cosmetic products in this country.

maysay wrote: »

I would say maybe 95% of the people selling homemade products don't know what the heck they're doing. And you can tell when you hear their explanations for things in their videos or read it on their websites. Shoot, most of the hair idols have no clue what they're talking about either but folks follow them blindly.

Anyway, it's a risk no matter what. You buy it from someone who makes it in their kitchen/bathroom and you could be getting germs from their family or their baby could have accidentally poured some juice in it for all you know. You buy something from the store and you're probably getting rat pee and ground up roaches from the factory in your product.

As a consumer, you can't win because there's no regulation done of cosmetic products in this country.

i wouldn't go that far because if something is being made in a lab....
    [/B]
    Nea wrote: »

...or you're growing a eye in the middle of your head.

Seriously. Yes, there are folks who don't know what they're doing. Matter of fact, there is somebody right now that's making products, and makes a product I LOVE, and I'm tempted to tell her that for one of the products (that I can never get my hands on, cuz she always sells out), she needs to add some type or preservative, because oils and water will "mold" on you, after awhile.

BUT there are folks who DO know what they're doing, and that's why WE as consumers must be educated so we know, based on what's in a product, if the maker knows what they're doing.

Yes, there's a certain amount of faith we extend to those we don't know...and since we can't place hidden cameras in their homes/factories/labs, we take a chance.

lol!!!!!!! NEA, i gotta say..........if i see ONE MO DAMN WHIPPED SHEA BUTTER.....EVERRRRRYTHING is a whipped butter, or the same conditioner.

this is why new things don't wow me like they used to. everything looks the same.
    [/B]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file