Getting Bored......need a "hair change"

Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Registered Users Posts: 662
Hey y'all. I've been in a rut for the longest. Wash 'n' go's everyday and one of those jelly headbands and I'm out the door. I soooo want a change. I mean - something! I had twists in my hair a few weeks ago and I loved them, I just don't feel like sitting for another 4 hours to do them.

I even mentioned to my DH about thinking of the dreaded "relaxer"!!!! :confused1: He was like, "man, you can't do that." LOL I wasn't serious - moreso just grasping at straws. I would just like to see and do something different with my hair.

Any suggestions? What do you ladies do when you get in a rut and need a "hair change"?
My Fotki

My Blog - A Day in the Life

Products:
EVOO
HEHH
TresEmme Curl Moisture Conditioner
Aloe Vera Gel
Let's Jam

Hair Type: Kinky Coily

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]

Comments

• CerendipityCerendipity Registered Users Posts: 5,091 Curl Novice
    Flat twist out? Braids outs? Twist and Curl? Flat twists in the front , two strand twists in the back? If that doesnt work I break out the kinky twists!
  • Nicky791Nicky791 Registered Users Posts: 679
    I really like bantu knot outs, maybe you could try that. Or pony puffs, buns, or some cute updos where the back is cornrowed, flat twisted, or box braided up into a ponytail and the front is loose and curly?
    Last Relaxer: March 26 2009
    Mini Chop: January 16 2010
    BC: April 4 2010
    Transitioned for 1yr 9days!
    Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/Nicky791/about/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Nicky791
  • kandiekj100kandiekj100 Registered Users Posts: 115
    I have to say I personally like braidouts. They don't take as long as twists. I do two rows of four cornrows at night, which is much quicker than a head full of twists and take down in the morning is quick also.

But maybe you could also get some braids and just give yourself a break for a while. Or maybe get a weave, to satisfy that urge to go back to a relaxer. You get the look without the committment.
  • CurlyIvy08CurlyIvy08 Registered Users Posts: 31
    If my hair was as long as yours I would try flat twists in the front and curl/straw set the rest.

I saw a pic online of woman with long comb/single strand twist. You can even do a single strand twist out to make it fuller and give it the straw set look. I hear the single twist doesn't take as long to do as a straw set.
    Last relaxer: May 2009
    Last texturizer: July 2009
    BC: January 21, 2010
    Type: 4-something

Butter: Shea Butter mixed with EVOO/jojoba oil/tea tree oil/castor oil :love10:
    Vitamins: prenatal or multivitamins
    Moisturizer: Water and Vegetable glycerin
    Sporting protective styles since Feb 2010
  • LynneryLynnery Registered Users Posts: 303
    I've been feeling the same way too and even thought of texlaxing but I'm too scared to do it and don't trust anyone either. I'm also an everyday wash n go girl and the monotony had me in a rut too.

Last night I decided to try something different. Banding! I co-washed my hair in 4 sections. I banded each of those sections and the next morning took them out. I will have to post a pic. I dont have pics of the banded sections though. It looks a lot like my wash n go but much longer, bigger, and more movement. It still has definition but the curls are stretched. I'm really into big hair now so I'm trying to not let my hair shrink plus I want to avoid as many tangles and knots as possible.

event.png
    Last relaxer-3/16/08
    Type 4a thick hair
    www.fotki.com/cluelessaka updated March 2010

event.png
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Registered Users Posts: 2,316
    I am in a rut too!!! So as we speak I am taping my cinnamon dye experiment. So maybe change your hair color? Hairstyle-wise sew-ins or braids?
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    there is so much you can do besides wash n go! twists/outs, braids/out, comb coils/out, wig, weave, extensions... :) search youtube for natural hair styles. i've seen lots of inspiration.

i totally feel your pain but i will never go back to the creamy crack. i can't even fix my lips to say it. :blob6:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jeweldjeweld Registered Users Posts: 140
    ITA with hippychic. There's so much you can do with some hair pins, small bands and wide bands; just adding a flower to your hair changes it. buns, side parts, half up/half out, bangs etc...
    Poo: Giovanni TTT
    CoWash/Detangler: Any Suave on top of VO5, Yes to Cucumbers
    DT: Aubrey Organics White Camellia, Amla/ Coconut milk, Castor oil
    Styling Products: Yes to Cucumbers, EcoStyler, Longaid Curl Activator,
    Daily Moisture: Hibiscus tea+Aubrey Organics White Camellia Spritz, Yes to Cucumbers, Homemade Whipped Avocado+ Green Tea Creme
    Seal w/ Dabur Vatika Oil, Castor oil
  • GoddessLalaGoddessLala Registered Users Posts: 351
    You're not the only one, Sandy Coils. I'm entertaining the thought of a sew in so I won't have to mess with my hair for a while. I'm determined to find a salon in the Atlanta/Snellville/Lilburn area to get rid of some damage (which probably means about a 2-3 inch cut). I haven't had my hair done by a professional since 2004 and I just want someone else to wash my hair, lol.
  • whitechocolate629whitechocolate629 Registered Users Posts: 46
    I completely understand how you feel!!!! Hang in there. There have been some great suggestions. Perhaps braiding, kinky twists or weave would be a nice way to take a break from it. I'm right there with ya...Funny because I said the same thing to my son & husband about straightening it just the other day (I wasn't really serious either), and they both looked at me like I was crazy and told me that I would regret it. So, 'putting it away' for awhile seems to be the fix. Go for it!

ETA....
    Hop on youtube for some inspiration. That really helps me when I get in a rut. Seeing other naturals and what they're capable of is pretty neat & uplifting.
  • sobecurlsobecurl Registered Users Posts: 313
    +1 to all the above.

I'm so tired of my hair right now. And like Lynnery, I thought about a texturizer to de-bulk my hair a little and maybe give me a bit of a break.

Obviously, that wont be happening, so I thought about a weave for a bit. I have never had extensions or weaves so maybe now is the time to try it out. I'm just concerned about caring for my hair under the weave so I haven't done it. It's almost like I'm too scared to do anything different, so I stick with the same thing - twists.

I had a dream last night about buying some big rollers to start doing roller sets (yes...I'm crazy dreaming about how imma do my hair), but I think I might try that for a bit and see how it works. I think I just need a break from the density of my hair. It's very thick.
    Over 10 years natural and still growing...
  • violetmauvevioletmauve Registered Users Posts: 177
    I feel the same and I'm not great with styling my own hair. I'm thinking about straightening or get extensions to change it up a bit.

I like chisellecouture.

http://www.youtube.com/user/chisellecouture
  • coracora Registered Users Posts: 456
    I got bored and cut 6 inches off and went back to a twa. I must say that I'm loving it. Heck, I'm thinking of keeping it short for a while. Maybe it is time to go short!
  • Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Registered Users Posts: 626
    Roller sets & Flexi-Rod Sets, are a great change of pace:laughing6:
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
  • DamaDulceDamaDulce Registered Users Posts: 8
    Your hair's a lot longer than mine, but you could try keeping it natural (air-dried after a wash), slipping on a headband or scarf, and pulling out a chunky side-bang. A couple of swipes with a ceramic flat-iron, just on the bang, and you've got a chic/girly look. Great with huge earrings, especially if you've lightened it a touch around your face. Maybe a honey caramel color? Then you could always regress and break out the barettes from you gradeschool days, lol.

Blessed Be
  • MsC.MsC. Registered Users Posts: 489
    Hey sweetie,
    I know how you feel,I am so bored with my hair,and too tired from everyday life and studying 24/7 to want to do anything with it.So what did i do? I bought a steamer which is in pieces in my living room..lol. I also went on a mad man`s search for safe hair dye to change up my look for the summer,no such luck.So I am going to do a steam treatment with henna and call it a day,I haven`t done henna in a very long time,so that should be fun:tongue10:.I also experimented with cinnamon and honey to naturally dye my hair,but i am too impatient,and the cinnamon takes forever to come out, but my hair did smell delicious!

So maybe try doing a pamper session with some herbs,then pop in some tree braids, this is my plan. I do tree braids once every summer and sometimes in the winter to take a break from my hair.
    Big Chop August 23,2008 myself&two daughters;-)
    Fia`s system:3c/4aMii
    INSANITY WORKOUT week 3 Day 1 7lbs lost to date:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lashon20lashon20 Registered Users Posts: 1,150
    I've been feeling the same way for a while now. I've been thinking about coloring my hair.
    http://mynaturalhairjourney.shutterfly.com/

Shampoos: Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie
    Stylers: As I Am Smoothing Gel, Jane Carter Incredible Curls, Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter, Hairveda Whipped Gelly
    Moisturizers: Camille Rose Moisture Milk, Camille Rose Fresh Curl
    Leave-Ins: KBB Sweet Ambrosia
    Pomades: Hairveda Almond Glaze
  • P.P.P.P. Registered Users Posts: 1,617 Curl Neophyte
    I've also been bored but too nervous to try anything serious (grouchy hair & fear of growth goal setback)

I've been doing more braid outs, experimental(read : bizarre) braids and flat twist:tongue10:, buying hair toys and earrings.

Planning to buy more flower clips and fabrics for head wraps.

Lately I'm also experimenting w/ more moisturizing, safe mixes and stuff. I was so zzzzz that I slacked on conditioning. I think I was also bummed out after my baking soda/conditioner paste detangler fail (I think i left it on too long...my hair turned brown and drier than my normal Sahara)

Yours looks great! I'm sure you'll find a new twist on things! Youtube can be inspiring too!
    True realism consists in revealing the surprising things
    which habit keeps covered and prevents us from seeing.
    - Jean Cocteau

scaled.php?server=707&filename=superwhymainimage.jpg&res=landing <---Fotki photo albums
  • Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Registered Users Posts: 662
    Thanks for all of the replies and advice ladies. I was nearly going to texlax my hair on Tuesday. it just so happened that when I went by the BSS to take a look at some, they had just closed and the door was locked. They close @ 8:00 and I got there at 8:02!!!! They were going to let me in, but I told them it was ok, and I would just come back the next day - which was yesterday, but I didn't go back. And like sobecurl, I just wanted some of the bulkiness gone. But my DH wanted to go the the BSS with me and offered to pay for what I was going to buy. How would I explain putting chems back in my hair to him? Or anyone else for that matter - not to mention, I would no longer be "natural", it was all just too much. Then I figure that one day I would miss the volume & bulkiness of my hair. Then I started to think about touch-ups and possible overlapping and dull, limp hair. I just didn't want to deal with it.

I could henna, but I want to grow my natural hair color back out. (not sure how sandy brown roots will look w/ my burgundy ends, lol). Maybe I'll happen on a product that will help me out. If not, I guess I'll just keep on trucking with what I got.

I mean, I'm not really one for elaborate styles and stuff. 2-strand twists is about as fancy as I get. LOL Then I have this thing about wetting my hair every day. I hate for my fro to look "dry". I guess that stems from somone I know and see on a daily basis whos hair looks like it NEVER has any moisture to it at all!!!! I've even had people say to me, "I'm so glad you hair doesn't look like so-n-so. Her hair always looks dry - like it never touches water!" :shock: I sure as heck don't want to be that person!
    Lynnery wrote: »
    I've been feeling the same way too and even thought of texlaxing but I'm too scared to do it and don't trust anyone either. I'm also an everyday wash n go girl and the monotony had me in a rut too.

Last night I decided to try something different. Banding! I co-washed my hair in 4 sections. I banded each of those sections and the next morning took them out. I will have to post a pic. I dont have pics of the banded sections though. It looks a lot like my wash n go but much longer, bigger, and more movement. It still has definition but the curls are stretched. I'm really into big hair now so I'm trying to not let my hair shrink plus I want to avoid as many tangles and knots as possible.

Maybe banding is a thought, but I still feel like I have to wet my hair. :sad1:
    You're not the only one, Sandy Coils. I'm entertaining the thought of a sew in so I won't have to mess with my hair for a while. I'm determined to find a salon in the Atlanta/Snellville/Lilburn area to get rid of some damage (which probably means about a 2-3 inch cut). I haven't had my hair done by a professional since 2004 and I just want someone else to wash my hair, lol.

I went to Urbanbella in Buckhead - Weiuca Road - to get my trim and they took off about 2 inches, but that wasn't bad considering I hadn't had a trim since I BC'd. They are a bit pricey, but with a fingerstyle & cut I think I paid $80, but let me say, they do not skimp on the product and they use some pretty good stuff. Plus, after my fingerstyle, I had like 4 & 5 day hair for the 1st time EVER!!!
    My Fotki

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]
  • sobecurlsobecurl Registered Users Posts: 313
    +1 to Urbanbella. When I lived in Atlanta they were the first salon I went to after being natural. They convinced me to get away from the texturizers and if nothing else I am happy they did that. I'm so used to salons pushing relaxers/texturizers etc, so that was a very nice change.

and @ Sandy Coils, there is a reason why the BSS was closed cuz you know you dont need to mess with any chemicals. I think about it sometimes too, but then I look at how hypocritical I would be especially since I am the organizer or a natural hair meetup. My members would lop of my head and banish me...lol.
    Over 10 years natural and still growing...
    @ sobecurl - I feel you so much on that. I have convinced about 3 people that I see daily or are family members to go natural and I would look so foolish if I gave in to a moment of weakness.

Yeah, when the BSS was closed, I took that as a sign- seriously. I mean I had been on a few sights researching how to txt and everything and I was going to do it. All I had to do was buy the product. I even knew how I would make the mixture and everything. (hammercy!!!) I'm so glad they were closed.
    My Fotki

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]
  • GoddessLalaGoddessLala Registered Users Posts: 351
    I'll definitely have to check out Urbanbella and Salon 78. But I'm so glad the BSS was closed, Sandy Coils!
  • helloyellowbirdhelloyellowbird Banned Banned Users Posts: 1,632
    How about dying your hair?
    How about dying your hair?

it already has henna. I was thinking of letting it grow out just to see how it will look.
    My Fotki

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]
  • NikG20NikG20 Registered Users Posts: 461 Curl Neophyte
    Sandy Coils, I just wanted to say- your hair is absolutely GORGEOUS! I have admired your curls ever since joining....like really! Hopefully you can figure something out. Good luck! :)
    Hz5exYvWIb4
    Children's Natural Hair Care & Styling Blog:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file