OT- DIY home accents...

wavy wonderwavy wonder Registered Users Posts: 3,061 Curl Neophyte
Are there any other DIY'er's on board? yesterday I bought a canvas and really pretty fabric. I'm going to staple the fabric to the canvas and use this as wall art.
I'm also looking to distress some of my furniture. My coffee table and end tables in the family room are so beat up looking. I'm thinking of doing a red distressed look.
Anyone else have some DIY (cheap) ideas for home accents? I'm guessing Gekko will be all over this:)- I'd love to hear your ideas Gek.
I tried doing this yesterday and it was a total BUST....
http://www.diyideas.com/quickprojects/Accents/leafprint_1.html

Comments

• wavyblondewavyblonde Registered Users Posts: 1,637 Curl Neophyte
    I'd love to hear some ideas, too. I'm broke and want some cool, funky things to put on my walls.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • gekko422gekko422 Registered Users Posts: 4,869 Curl Connoisseur
    You can alter just about anything to create a nice home accent. A really simple, awesome idea is to buy a pretty paper or fabric that you like and frame it. Not on a canvas frame like you are thinking, but actually framed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mizkerri/2770261911/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mizkerri/2771109436/in/photostream/

Those pictures are from mizkerri who posts on nc on occasion.

The leaf idea is neat, but getting leaves to cooperate isn't all that easy. :lol:

What kind of ideas are you looking for?

Glass beads in jars, seashells in jars, there is all kinds of stuff. It just depends on the look you are going for.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Registered Users Posts: 3,061 Curl Neophyte
    gekko422 wrote: »
    You can alter just about anything to create a nice home accent. A really simple, awesome idea is to buy a pretty paper or fabric that you like and frame it. Not on a canvas frame like you are thinking, but actually framed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mizkerri/2770261911/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mizkerri/2771109436/in/photostream/

Those pictures are from mizkerri who posts on nc on occasion.

The leaf idea is neat, but getting leaves to cooperate isn't all that easy. :lol:

What kind of ideas are you looking for?

Glass beads in jars, seashells in jars, there is all kinds of stuff. It just depends on the look you are going for.
    Yes, I've seen the framed wall art with scrap paper. It looks pretty cool. I think I'm going to try it. Her pillows are super cute too.

I'm looking for nifty wall art ideas.
    I bought fabric for a canvas but my mom thought the fabric i have would look better as a table runner. So I may try that out (with her help:)-
    I bought paint etc today to do ragging on my table in the living room. The guy at the paint store (actually, if you are an idol fan, it was the paint store Lee Dewyze worked at;) made it sound like my original idea of distressing was going to be too difficult and thought the ragging would be a good first time project for my mom and I.
    Post more pics if you have any. I'm definitely going to try the scrap paper thing:)
  • kasdenkasden Registered Users Posts: 1,045 Curl Connoisseur
    I love this blog! Every Sunday Rhoda hosts "Thrifty Treasures" where people who have gone garage sale-ing over the weekend post their finds and many times how they've "repurposed" their finds. These people are garage sale freaks...but in a good way...kinda like we're curly hair freaks - LOL! Some of it is a little too froo froo for me, but after awhile you'll see whose style/taste you trust and get some great ideas off their blogs.
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
    kasden wrote: »
    I love this blog! Every Sunday Rhoda hosts "Thrifty Treasures" where people who have gone garage sale-ing over the weekend post their finds and many times how they've "repurposed" their finds. These people are garage sale freaks...but in a good way...kinda like we're curly hair freaks - LOL! Some of it is a little too froo froo for me, but after awhile you'll see whose style/taste you trust and get some great ideas off their blogs.
    I love it , Kasden!!! thank you so much for posting.
    My neighborhood has a garage sale in June. I can't wait. It's out first year here and I've been counting down the day for a while. There are a lot of richies in the neighborhood.
    I'm going to go checkout some thrift stores tomorrow. These girls have a GREAT eye for finding something that looks like junk and making it look brand spanking new and chic. I got a lot of great ideas from the blogs and am going to follow about 10 of them;) thanks for posting the blog site.
  • anniemaeanniemae Registered Users Posts: 1,702 Curl Neophyte
    Wavy,
    I love this post!! Kasden - that blog is great - and Gekko - I love your picture ideas!! :)

Also, do you have any thrift shops in your area? We have a second-hand thrift shop nearby, and the deals that you can get are incredible.

Another idea - Michael's Craft Store (I don't know if you have one near you) is also a great place to buy inexpensive frames, different shaped glass (apothecary) jars, shells, vase glass pieces, dried or silk flowers, etc. to decorate with - or just to get some ideas.

Good luck!!
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
    These girls have a GREAT eye for finding something that looks like junk and making it look brand spanking new and chic. I got a lot of great ideas from the blogs and am going to follow about 10 of them;) thanks for posting the blog site.

I know!!! It's kind of like the bizzaro world of nc.com, but instead of hair it's all garage sales and thrift store bargains - they know their stuff! I've learned so much from them, as I've learned so much from you guys here!

Please please please let us know what you come up with!!!

anniemae-so glad you're enjoying it too!

You girls be careful - it can be addicting!!! Sometimes I just HAVE to see what e.v.e.r.y.o.n.e got!

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
    These girls have a GREAT eye for finding something that looks like junk and making it look brand spanking new and chic. I got a lot of great ideas from the blogs and am going to follow about 10 of them;) thanks for posting the blog site.

I know!!! It's kind of like the bizzaro world of nc.com, but instead of hair it's all garage sales and thrift store bargains - they know their stuff! I've learned so much from them, as I've learned so much from you guys here!

Please please please let us know what you come up with!!!

anniemae-so glad you're enjoying it too!

You girls be careful - it can be addicting!!! Sometimes I just HAVE to see what e.v.e.r.y.o.n.e got!
    you're right it can be addicting:) I was just reamed out last night for spending all my May money and ummm, it's not even may. Whooooops.
    What's one persons junk , is another persons treasure:)
    anniemae wrote: »
    Wavy,
    I love this post!! Kasden - that blog is great - and Gekko - I love your picture ideas!! :)

Also, do you have any thrift shops in your area? We have a second-hand thrift shop nearby, and the deals that you can get are incredible.

Another idea - Michael's Craft Store (I don't know if you have one near you) is also a great place to buy inexpensive frames, different shaped glass (apothecary) jars, shells, vase glass pieces, dried or silk flowers, etc. to decorate with - or just to get some ideas.

Good luck!!
    I love this thread!!:)
    We do have a michael's and Joann fabrics here. I got in trouble at Joann this week. I spent $90.00 and then 50.00 and the paint store. I'm entering a slippery slope;)
    And yes, there are thrift stores in the neighborhood. I plan to go check some out.
    went to Salvation army yesterday and found a really cute (truly antique) mirror. It's rectangular and is maybe 8x4. I also got two antique picture frames. I got um' all for 8.00.
    i plan to paint them, as the mirror is like a silvery finish and the other two are gold, and then I'll hang them in some sort of cute design on the wall. I hope to find one or two like it at a garage sale.
    wavy,

The mirrors sound cute. I love mirrors!! :blob5: I've also seen people hang mirrors using ribbons/bows to connect them on the wall.

Post pics when you're done.
    2b-c/F/ii
    went to Salvation army yesterday and found a really cute (truly antique) mirror. It's rectangular and is maybe 8x4. I also got two antique picture frames. I got um' all for 8.00.
    i plan to paint them, as the mirror is like a silvery finish and the other two are gold, and then I'll hang them in some sort of cute design on the wall. I hope to find one or two like it at a garage sale.

That's awesome - what a bargain! I love mirrors and frames, too. Can't wait to see what you come up with!!!

anniemae wrote: »
    wavy,

The mirrors sound cute. I love mirrors!! :blob5: I've also seen people hang mirrors using ribbons/bows to connect them on the wall.

Post pics when you're done.
    I absolutely love the mirror. I framed fabric in one of the frames. I love it!!
    I'll post pics:)
    Also, i scored on a end table for 5.00 yesterday at a garage sale and the neighbor was throwing out a little tikes picnic table and we took it. Yesterday was a great day!!!!!!
    wavy -

That sounds fabulous!! I want to see pics of how you put the fabric in the frame. :)

Yes - garage sales are great for getting Little Tikes stuff. In our area, spring and fall are the perfect times that people donate stuff or have garage sales.

The end table sounds like a good deal, too.

Did you ever hear of/see decoupage on the tops of tables? I saw one recently at a friend's house and it was quite unique. I just googled "decoupage" and found a bunch of articles on it. Here is a good one:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061107071553AAxkVLn

I don't know if you would want to do anything like this, but it sounded fun!!
    2b-c/F/ii
    Score one for wavy! So glad you're finding useful stuff and having so much fun!!!! Now you've gotten me excited about it....I found a couple more blogs similar to Thrifty Treasures but they're more DIY:
    Funky Junk Interiors and Shabby Nest.

I hope you'll show us pics!!!

Score one for wavy! So glad you're finding useful stuff and having so much fun!!!! Now you've gotten me excited about it....I found a couple more blogs similar to Thrifty Treasures but they're more DIY:
    Funky Junk Interiors and Shabby Nest.

I hope you'll show us pics!!!
    I went to GW last night and bought an absolutely gorgeous coffee table and end table. The coffee was 10.00 and end was 7.00. They look handcrafted and solid, solid wood. I can't wait to fix um' up:)
    Once i complete my first project i'll post pics:)
    The table in the living room in shabby nests blog is very similar to the one i'm doing now. I love how she has chairs next to it. I found chairs at GW yesterday for 6.99, but didn't buy them. Hmmm, now i'm wondering....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file