CurlTalk

Hair colour discrimination, too!

GirlWithUkuleleGirlWithUkulele Posts: 150Registered Users
Not technically "curl-bashing," but it's still discrimination towards someone's hair, and making them feel insecure just for looking a certain way. And this poor girl is only twelve! I've personally always wanted her hair colour. What really gets me, though, is the fact that kids are doing this. These weren't high schoolers, but sixth- or seventh-graders. :-(

Anyone ever experienced this kind of thing?
/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-1268303%2FTerrified-schoolgirl-dyes-hair-blonde-girl-gang-sends-seven-death-threats-day--ginger.html%23ixzz0lx1CMMVp" class="Popup
Victoria, Keeper of the Celestial Charts and Protector of the Aquamarine Diadem in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

3a/b; low porosity; dense; medium thickness. Growing out a weird haircut.
Cleanse: As I Am Curl Cowash; Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo
Condition:Tresemme Naturals
LI:KCKT; CHS LI
Stylers: AG Re:Coil; CJCCCCL; KCCC; AG Mousse Gel; HESMU;
Denman Brush.

Treatments:SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion; Aphogee PT

Comments

• MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users
    I don't get it, never have, but then I think red hair is amazing and always did. I went to a Catholic school and a few of the nuns were Irish and had red hair and in my neighborhood of Latinos and blacks, I rarely saw red hair and thought it was BEAUTIFUL. So much so, that I used to regularly have crushes on red-haired boys with freckles. :D

I still find red hair lovely and totally don't get the weirdness of bullies, other than the fact that those prone to bullying will find a reason. Red hair. Fat. Too skinny. Too short. Too tall. Kinky hair/curly hair. Hammer toes. Zits. Stuttering. Or no reason at all (as we've seen with some kids bullied almost for the pure sake of bullying.)

Bullies just like to find the "odd man" or "odd girl" out (and red hair is rare) in order to find soemone to pick on to feel superior. Hate, hate, hate bullies.

And I hope she dyes her hair bright red and tells them to F themselves. :D
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I truly don't understand why red hair is so offensive to so many in the UK. What is the reasoning behind it? I hate to sound ignorant, but I just don't understand why "gingers" would be persecuted.

I, too, always adored red hair. I went red myself for a while, but just feel more like myself as a blonde. I kinda have a thing for redheaded guys, too.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • moodydovemoodydove Posts: 1,721Registered Users
    Wtf is this? I never understood ginger bashing. Red hair is so gorgeous! I guess people are always gonna find someone to put down...since sometimes, the ability to administer punishment gives insecure people something to hold on to. And yea, I love me some redheaded guys. :)
    Big chop: 5/30/10
    CG, clarify with Aveda Brilliant Shampoo when needed
    Dense, medium-fine strands, lowish porosity. Avoiding glycerin outside the shower.
    Cowash:Suave Coconut Conditioner.
    Leave in: YtCucumbers and EVOO
    Styling Products: Flaxseed gel, Phillip B Soft Hold Gel, KMF Upper Management Gel
    DC: Doctored GVP or Suave conditioner
    Cleanser: Bentonite clay
  • LiliputLiliput Posts: 55Registered Users
    For some reason it is not ok to be a natural redhead in the UK, as they are called ginger and teased. To me this is ridiculous as I think red hair is gorgeous!!!! I think it is funny that many people get abused for being "ginger" but hair dye in all shades of sell like hot cakes. It makes it looks as if it is all right to be a fake redhead but not a natural one...GO FIGURE.
  • crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users
    My brother is a redhead and a skilled carpenter. An older woman called him to estimate a job at her home, someone she knew had recommended him. When he got there, she wouldn't let him in, and told him to leave, since she doesn't trust redhaired people.
    I have many redheads in my family, including my own kids, and that was the first and only time I had heard of something like this happening. We live in eastern US, so maybe there isn't the bizarre cultural antimosity towards redheads that there is is Britian?
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    I, too, have wondered why there is so much ginger bashing in the UK. I don't get it.

I pay good money to have red hair.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • GirlWithUkuleleGirlWithUkulele Posts: 150Registered Users
    I don't get it, either. The 'death threats' part really creeped me out. And she has gorgeous hair! I'll never understand why kids are so mean.
    Victoria, Keeper of the Celestial Charts and Protector of the Aquamarine Diadem in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

3a/b; low porosity; dense; medium thickness. Growing out a weird haircut.
    Cleanse: As I Am Curl Cowash; Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo
    Condition:Tresemme Naturals
    LI:KCKT; CHS LI
    Stylers: AG Re:Coil; CJCCCCL; KCCC; AG Mousse Gel; HESMU;
    Denman Brush.

Treatments:SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion; Aphogee PT
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    What is a yob?
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users
    Yobbo or yob is a slang term for an uncouth or thuggish working-class person. The word derives from a back slang reading of the word "boy" (boy or boyo reversed becomes yob or — slightly modified — yobbo).
  • chelseatom_tomchelseatom_tom Posts: 41Registered Users
    What? This is ridiculous!
    I can't really even get my head around it.
    Obviously, red hair has a different image in the UK. Honestly, the guy that I like at school has the reddest hair I've ever seen.
    I did hear, though, that 12 and 13 year-old-girls are among the meanest in the population. Living proof?
    Meet Chelsea: a curly-haired (type 2c/3a and very porous), half-Japanese 18-year-old with a lot on her mind.
    Just beginning to embrace the curls!
    At the moment:
    Co-Wash: Tresseme Naturals
    Conditioner: Burt's Bees Very Volumizing
    Leave-In: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gel: Kinky-Curly Curling Custard
    I love my life!

fax3ja.jpg
  • xodevinxodevin Posts: 478Registered Users
    I almost cried at this! It's just plain awful, and I'm in 8th grade myself. God, I love red hair too. I would never dye my hair, but I've always wished for gorgeous red or auburn locks! I mean... Just wow.

Here in the US there was that 'Kick a Ginger Day'. It was funny at first but soon turned dumb, and at least it didn't get too out of hand.

People should not be threatened because of their hair colors! And that school is completely idiotic for not expelling the students, or sending them to some sort of juvenille delinquents school! I really hope this article continues to give them awful publicity for a while. And the ending... Why would she want to come back to that sort of torture?!!

Despicable. However, I think in high school some people can get a lot more mature (at least I hope so, looking at some of the immature people in my grade..), so it's sadly pretty common for there to be bullies in those grades. Ugh.
    curly hair and proud (:
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    From what I read.. in ancient ethnic groups specifically European ethnic groups.. red hair was some sort of signal of having a wild temperment, filled with anger and violence. The women are supposed to be basically... (no offense anyone) promiscuious home wrecking types. Basically, slutty.

It's supposed have come about because of the fact that many Celts had red hair and they were known for their violence and hostile temperments. Given the Scots descend from them and many have red hair as well as many Irish.. it just spread in Europe these stereotypes about red hair.

And people with red hair get labeled in a negative way in those countries where those people originated. Hence the UK issues.

I think we've all heard the phrase, "Fiesty red-head" before. It comes from those sorts of sagas, legends, and myths.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • gncurriergncurrier Posts: 80Registered Users
    As a red-head, this upsets me. I was never teased specifically for my hair, but I think it was a huge reason why I got teased. I didn't like it for along time, but now the only thing I do with it is occaisionally dye it darker red.
    I am Knight Valiant Red Riglets of Curlywood Forest and Theatrefriar of the Order of the Curly Crusaders!
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This is horrifying!

I totally don't get it. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I love red hair and have tried to dye mine so it will be a pretty red, but it gets brassy so I've given up.

This bullying is crazy.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    Okay, as some may recall, I take slurs, slanders, and so-called "explanations" as to why redheads are: different; tormented; obsessed about; etc. VERY personally.

Basically, in my view, if you're not a redhead, or have something nice to say about redheads, then SAY NOTHING, please.

I don't care about Celtic tradition, moronic stereotypes about fiery redheads, or how the teasing gets better as girls mature.

This is bullisht bullying, just like any other kind. It's not funny, it's not fair, and I'm f-ing sick of it.
    ninja dog wrote: »
    Okay, as some may recall, I take slurs, slanders, and so-called "explanations" as to why redheads are: different; tormented; obsessed about; etc. VERY personally.

Basically, in my view, if you're not a redhead, or have something nice to say about redheads, then SAY NOTHING, please.

I don't care about Celtic tradition, moronic stereotypes about fiery redheads, or how the teasing gets better as girls mature.

This is bullisht bullying, just like any other kind. It's not funny, it's not fair, and I'm f-ing sick of it.

Well no, I don't recall it. I probably wasn't even here when you made your issue with red head discrimination known.

Furthermore, What I said was not directed to you. I can understand you getting upset but I hope it's not directed toward me because you weren't even a thought in my mind when I posted what I did.

I was simply giving the reason as far as "traditions" are concerned as to why red hair gets discriminated against.. particularly in the UK. I didn't give my personal opinion about red hair one way or the other.

As you know I am black and Jewish so I do understand the concept of discimination well. Considering both my people experienced enslavements, a holocaust, and persecution just about everywhere they went. And still get discriminated against today in a bevy of ways.

And yes.. I know you are "half" Jewish.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users
    I, too, have wondered why there is so much ginger bashing in the UK. I don't get it.

I live in the UK and have never understood the red hair hatred.

It may have originated from some form of ancient discrimination but now it's just because people want to feel better than someone else.

I love red hair. I want to dye mine red but my skin and eyebrows will look whack next to it.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users

Oh please. No one was saying anything mean or trying to justify ANYTHING. Marah Mizrahi was explaining where the reasons stemmed from.

That doesn't make the bullying right, obviously.

Personally, I love red hair and think it is gorgeous.
    Teasing and bullying because of it is ridiculous and whoever does it must be very insecure about themselves.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, Marah was just offering a historical explanation as to the origin of ginger-bashing because so many of us were baffled as to where it came from. She wasn't excusing or justifying it.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
    Yeah, okay ---- now you've got another crackpot theory to justify why it happens. You still don't live it, and have no idea of the offensive behavior it brings out in others. And unless you do, or have, again, why do you feel entitled to comment on its history? Would you do that with other minorities?

I really don't care how benign Marah's reasons were for her alleged historical explanation. And yes, we all know about her dual citizenship in two discriminated-against groups. I think it's pretty hard to avoid, if you read any of her posts.

So, Marah, why not continue your focus in that direction, okay? Oh, and thanks for the quotes around half-Jewish. I appreciate the distinction.
    I don't know.. I guess us Americans are just ..um "different" lol.... cause a lot of women here have dyed their hair SOME form of red in their lives at one point or another..even if it was just a few reddish streaks or hi- lights.

I know I did all through high school. You couldn't tell me NOTHING with my auburn dyed hair.. I did ruby red, auburn, mahogany red, burgundy, even had the nerve to have reddish purple streaks in the bangs one time.

Back when I was in school it was cool to dye your hair or part of it some form of red.
    Yeah, okay ---- now you've got another crackpot theory to justify why it happens. You still don't live it, and have no idea of the offensive behavior it brings out in others. And unless you do, or have, again, why do you feel entitled to comment on its history? Would you do that with other minorities?

I really don't care how benign Marah's reasons were for her alleged historical explanation. And yes, we all know about her dual citizenship in two discriminated-against groups. I think it's pretty hard to avoid, if you read any of her posts.

So, Marah, why not continue your focus in that direction, okay? Oh, and thanks for the quotes around half-Jewish. I appreciate the distinction.

Darn Ninja.. I feel like you are being WAY over the top and taking the whole thing WAY to personal.

You don't want people to discriminate against this and that but then you come with this attitude.

NO WHERE did I say I had a problem with red hair.. and while you are SO ALL UP IN MY POSTS.. how come you never came across where I've mentioned in them that my natural color is a reddish brown and that I used to dye my hair auburn in high school, huh ?

If you have a problem because you've been treated poorly because you have red hair.. then guess what TAKE IT UP WITH THOSE PEOPLE instead of coming in here venting your purile attitude toward me a person who isn't even against red hair and hasn't said a damn thing negative about it!

DAMN!
    I appreciate your measured response, Marah.

This is one of a few "hot-button" issues for me (and I'm feeling a little, uh, hormonal, today, too, it seems).

I love being a redhead, but it is so horrible having total strangers --- or friends, even --- comment on the alleged color of one's pubic hair.......or just to have people constantly remark, for good or for ill, on one's appearance. There are nicknames, and insults, and possibly the most horrible of all: the obsessives.

So, while I understand you weren't trying to excuse why it happens, it's my feeling that there are a hundred, or a thousand, reasons, and none of them are very comfortable (for me at least).

Darn Ninja.. I feel like you are being WAY over the top and taking the whole thing WAY to personal.

You don't want people to discriminate against this and that but then you come with this attitude.

NO WHERE did I say I had a problem with red hair.. and while you are SO ALL UP IN MY POSTS.. how come you never came across where I've mentioned in them that my natural color is a reddish brown and that I used to dye my hair auburn in high school, huh ?

If you have a problem because you've been treated poorly because you have red hair.. then guess what TAKE IT UP WITH THOSE PEOPLE instead of coming in here venting your purile attitude toward me a person who isn't even against red hair and hasn't said a damn thing negative about it!

DAMN!

Okay, I wrote you a nice reply based on your penultimate post, but, never mind.

If you want to insult someone, please choose words you can spell: it's "puerile", not "purile". Perhaps spending more time with a dictionary and less with Celtic history may be in order?
    Okay, I wrote you a nice reply based on your penultimate post, but, never mind.

If you want to insult someone, please choose words you can spell: it's "puerile", not "purile". Perhaps spending more time with a dictionary and less with Celtic history may be in order?

LOL... now you are picking on spelling. Clearly, you knew what the hell I meant. LOL! Or did you do a quick net search and look it up ? And I've seen the word spelled the way I spelled it before.. so whatever. I'm not the best speller..big deal.

All of this pissy attitude just because I explained where the idea of red hair discrimination is supposed to come from.. you clearly have some funky chip on your shoulder cause you were picked on for your red hair.

I get it.. we get it.. it's gotten. Boo fricken hoo. I guess you feel like that gives you some sort of pass to act so full of piss and vingear. It doesn't.

As I said.. hey go to those people that dogged you out with it.. cause no one here picked on you about it. I mean just really..get over yourself.

You are kind of making yourself look like an idiot for no good reason. At least have a GOOD reason for acting wacky. LOL!

Feel free to correct any spelling or grammar mistakes I made.. cause I couldn't give less than a damn. LOL!
    I appreciate your measured response, Marah.

This is one of a few "hot-button" issues for me (and I'm feeling a little, uh, hormonal, today, too, it seems).

I love being a redhead, but it is so horrible having total strangers --- or friends, even --- comment on the alleged color of one's pubic hair.......or just to have people constantly remark, for good or for ill, on one's appearance. There are nicknames, and insults, and possibly the most horrible of all: the obsessives.

So, while I understand you weren't trying to excuse why it happens, it's my feeling that there are a hundred, or a thousand, reasons, and none of them are very comfortable (for me at least).

Oh.. I didn't see this before I wrote what I did last.

Ehhh.. it's no biggy. I just didn't understand why you were so upset with me when I didn't say anything mean or hurtful about red hair.

I have reddish brown hair.. but I never got discriminated for it. So I can't relate to how you feel given I understand the sentiments. Everyone liked my hair color except for me growing up..hence why I used to dye it redder. I dye it black now cause I got into the goth scene when I was younger and it's hard as hell to get black out now and I am okay with it.

Anyhoo.. damn Ninja.. I am sorry things happened to you just cause you have red hair. But I was like good lawd.. she's going crazy on me and I didn't even DO anything.. LOL!

It's cool. Don't even sweat it. :)
    Yes, we all know how sensitive and kind you are to posters who, through personal experience, disagree with your perspective, Marah.

I think that you would probably explode if someone said "Boo Fricken Hoo" to you about being black and Jewish. So, for once, for.one.g-damned.time. since you've appeared on this site, consider someone else's experience as relevant, rather than dismissing her (and not very nicely at that). Maybe sometimes, as your own life as a Jewish person of color might have shown, people have a chip on their shoulder for a good reason.
    Okay, apparently our timing is bad and we're going to argue and then drop it repeatedly.

I'm probably due for the next round from you, so I'll go ahead and turn the other cheek now.:toothy9:
    Okay, apparently our timing is bad and we're going to argue and then drop it repeatedly.

I'm probably due for the next round from you, so I'll go ahead and turn the other cheek now.:toothy9:

Yeah.. and AS A JEW.. (ROFLMAO) we believe in SELF DEFENSE... cause your last post before this one.. LOL! I could really unleash (oh wait maybe that's my black side coming out more) and I would be within my rights.. LOL!

No seriously.. I will let it go.

Like I said.. it's cool. It's clear to me this is a sensitive subject for you.. I do think I was sort of jumped on unfairly for just giving an explanation....but such is life.

MY PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS BEING UNFAIRLY PERSECUTED!

ROFLMAO!

Kidding... I am cool...if you are. :cya: