Flax Seed Gel

dark_wavesdark_waves Registered Users Posts: 611
For those of you that use Flax Seed Gel...do you make it yourself or purchase it?
FIA: 2b/cFii
normal porosity

Comments

• plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    Good question. On the one hand, trying it already made might be easier, but making it yourself is cheaper and you can probably make a smaller batch to try out first. I guess the third option would be to get a sample from someone.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• solidgoldsolidgold Registered Users Posts: 1,485 Curl Neophyte
    I make it myself--it's super easy, cheap, and I can put whatever I want in it.
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • WavesNCWavesNC Registered Users Posts: 9
    Hello all, new here.
    What is the recipe? I have some flax I don't want to eat anymore, afraid it's been around too long....I was thinking of trying this.
    Also, how do you use it? Just like gel? And does it wash out with cowash?
    Thanks!
    I think this is the monster thread:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=66811

If not, there are a couple of other threads about FSG.

It's like a jelly--a styling product, and yes, it washes out!
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • finaleofseemfinaleofseem Registered Users Posts: 900
    Solid,

How do you know how much of whatever to put in? Like, honey or agave for hold? Do you just ... trial and error? It looks really easy, just for some reason I'm having a hard time taking the plunge, I guess.
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
    I started with the recommended ratios in the recipe and replaced some of the more perishable ingredients (honey) with more stable ingredients (honeyquat). Then I added seamollient after everyone was raving about it. I think I could increase the salt in my recipe because my hair can tolerate it. So yeah, I guess it is trial and error, but start with the basic recipe and then tweak it the way your hair likes it!
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
  • finaleofseemfinaleofseem Registered Users Posts: 900
    Coolio. Thanks. I may make a small batch from the form recipe and then fiddle around with it. It'll have to wait until after finals are over, though. Should be a fun summer project.
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
  • kasdenkasden Registered Users Posts: 1,045 Curl Connoisseur
    I've just recently been making my own and LOVE it! I was tired of using so many products, but the FSG replaces 2 of them - yay!!! Now I use a little LI, FSG (with honey added) and a little gel - good to go!
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
    Coolio. Thanks. I may make a small batch from the form recipe and then fiddle around with it. It'll have to wait until after finals are over, though. Should be a fun summer project.

My semester ends May 2!! Can't wait.
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
  • curlysue21curlysue21 Registered Users Posts: 5,219
    Thanks for posting this. I've been curious about making some myself.

How long does this last? Do you have to refridgerate?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

• dark_wavesdark_waves Registered Users Posts: 611
    solidgold wrote: »
    I started with the recommended ratios in the recipe and replaced some of the more perishable ingredients (honey) with more stable ingredients (honeyquat). Then I added seamollient after everyone was raving about it. I think I could increase the salt in my recipe because my hair can tolerate it. So yeah, I guess it is trial and error, but start with the basic recipe and then tweak it the way your hair likes it!

Solid, do you mind giving me your recipe (since our hair seems to like the same things)? The one I found that everyone raves about was BB's:
    2 c water, cool from the tap
    1/4 cup whole flax seeds (can use dark, but I prefer golden)
    UP TO 1/4 tablespoon magnesium sulfate, if your hair can handle it

Can you find everything at an Organic Market (like Whole Foods or MOM's)?

I think I may try this over the weekend.

TIA!
    normal porosity
  • gekko422gekko422 Registered Users Posts: 4,869 Curl Connoisseur
    I just buy it, I have no interest in making my own.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
    gekko422 wrote: »
    I just buy it, I have no interest in making my own.

I was wondering if it was worth it. Do you buy BB's? I see her 16oz is $25 - about how much would cost to make my own 16oz?

I just don't know if I have the patience to make some every week or two...my almost 20 month old keeps me very busy!
    normal porosity
    I buy hers, I get the smaller container and it lasts me a long time since I don't use it every day. I especially like that she tailors it to my hair and I don't have to make it.

gekko422 wrote: »
    I buy hers, I get the smaller container and it lasts me a long time since I don't use it every day. I especially like that she tailors it to my hair and I don't have to make it.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I just don't want to think about it, but the if it's really cheap to make I kind of feel bad buying it. Although, I should just do anything that makes my life easier :laughing8:, and buying FSG instead of making it would be doing that!

Do you store yours in the fridge? How long has it lasted?

Thanks!
    normal porosity
    Mine just sits on the tub. I haven't seen it spoil, so I don't know how long it lasts.

• Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Registered Users Posts: 1,781
    I make it. Cheap and easy to make. Doesn't take that long and is fun to make.

I mix up some honey and grapefruit seed extract (I plan on adding some seamollient and marshmallow root to this sometime soon) in a bowl after I have the flax seeds in the water and on the stove. After I get it to the right consistency (about eight minutes) I pour it through a strainer into the bowl with honey and grapefruit seed extract. Mix it up, put it in a bottle and refrigerate. Easy peasy.

It would probably be a bit easier if I used a tea ball instead of a strainer though.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • bartlebeebartlebee Registered Users Posts: 4
    What makes FSG better than other gels?
  • kasdenkasden Registered Users Posts: 1,045 Curl Connoisseur
    dark_waves wrote: »
    I was wondering if it was worth it. Do you buy BB's? I see her 16oz is $25 - about how much would cost to make my own 16oz?

I just don't know if I have the patience to make some every week or two...my almost 20 month old keeps me very busy!

I took a calculator to it...I bought a 24 oz bag of flax seeds for $3, so a 16 oz bottle of FSG costs 12 cents! Plus I add a teaspoon of honey and a few drops of essential oils (so add maybe 10 cents?). I'm new at this, but I think I read you can reuse the seeds 4 times (which I included in my calculations). It only took me maybe 20-30 minutes to make 16 oz (which is probably 3 months worth for me) and you can freeze it only keeping out a weeks worth. I did 2 batches back to back, but you could cut the time by making one large batch.

I greatly admire BB for taking on the task of making it and selling it! She adds a lot of ingredients to hers - I'm sure it's totally worth the price she's asking!

bartlebee - although it is has the consistency of gel, I think of it more as a curl enhancer/definer and moisturizing product - it also leaves my hair really soft! It has replaced mousse and curl cream in my routine. And for the first time I actually have root lift! :blob4:
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
    kasden wrote: »
    dark_waves wrote: »

I took a calculator to it...I bought a 24 oz bag of flax seeds for $3, so a 16 oz bottle of FSG costs 12 cents! Plus I add a teaspoon of honey and a few drops of essential oils (so add maybe 10 cents?). I'm new at this, but I think I read you can reuse the seeds 4 times (which I included in my calculations). It only took me maybe 20-30 minutes to make 16 oz (which is probably 3 months worth for me) and you can freeze it only keeping out a weeks worth. I did 2 batches back to back, but you could cut the time by making one large batch.

I tried making it 2 different ways. You can soak the seeds for 24 hours and strain it, or you can simmer them for 6-8 minutes and strain it. First I soaked them, then I simmered them. It was a lot easier to strain when it was hot!

I greatly admire BB for taking on the task of making it and selling it! She adds a lot of ingredients to hers - I'm sure it's totally worth the price she's asking!

bartlebee - although it is has the consistency of gel, I think of it more as a curl enhancer/definer and moisturizing product - it also leaves my hair really soft! It has replaced mousse and curl cream in my routine. And for the first time I actually have root lift! :blob4:

I agree with kasden--it's very cost effective, not time consuming, and is a great product (but it won't replace anything for me).
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
  • CDRWCDRW Registered Users Posts: 177
    I make my own. Very well worth it and it cost pennies!
    Mostly 3B/C with a multiple personality disorder! :)
    CO-Wash: Curlicious Curls Cleansing Cream, Suave, Coconut Sublime
    Leave In: My own mix,
    Curls Milkshake, Curls Souffle

Stylers: My own mix
    -great results with Aussie IF gel
    -Curls Goddess Glaze
    DT: Lekair Cholesterol, my own mix
    Curls Ecstasy Hair Tea

Fotki
    PW: curlies

I just bought the ingredients! The only thing....did any of you notice a difference between using the brown and the gold seeds? I only found brown. I'm going to give it a try anyway! :)

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

• eweniqueewenique Registered Users Posts: 1,502 Curl Neophyte
    FSG is great - easy to make and inexpensive. It's fun to experiment with the extra ingredients. I freeze mine in 3 oz plastic bottles until ready to use, so it doesn't need a preservative.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
    curlysue21 wrote: »
    I just bought the ingredients! The only thing....did any of you notice a difference between using the brown and the gold seeds? I only found brown. I'm going to give it a try anyway! :)

I've only ever used brown seeds....it always turns out perfect.
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
    Okay I made mine. I soaked the seeds overnight in a cup of water and then added another cup and boiled for around 8 minutes. It drained well but it looks awfully watery. I know its supposed to be like egg white consistency but how the heck do I put it in my hair without it running through my hands? I was hoping the soaking would make the consistency a little thicker.

Okay I made mine. I soaked the seeds overnight in a cup of water and then added another cup and boiled for around 8 minutes. It drained well but it looks awfully watery. I know its supposed to be like egg white consistency but how the heck do I put it in my hair without it running through my hands? I was hoping the soaking would make the consistency a little thicker.

How much flax seed did you use? Is the consistency like runny snot? If so, then it came out fine. That is the consistency of FSG.
    I always put only a little in my hand at a time and rub it between my hands and then scrunch it in. And keep doing this by sections. You might lose a little bit to the floor, though.
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:

How much flax seed did you use? Is the consistency like runny snot? If so, then it came out fine. That is the consistency of FSG.
    I always put only a little in my hand at a time and rub it between my hands and then scrunch it in. And keep doing this by sections. You might lose a little bit to the floor, though.

I soaked in 1 cup of distilled water and added a 1/4 cup seeds. I put into a pot and added another cup and 1/4-1/2 tsp of epsom salt and boiled for a few minutes. It is kinda like snot. I was just hoping to get it a little thicker.

• qimissungqimissung Registered Users Posts: 211 Curl Neophyte
    I use BB's, tell her what you want for your hair or what your hair is like etc. and she can recommend a recipe. I love her FSG!!!
    Fine cherub curls. LUS brand user. That's all I need!
  • dailywavydailywavy Registered Users Posts: 249
    I love this stuff, it is like liquid gold for me:thumbleft:

I like the golden flaxseed best. it is really all I use, that with a little hair butter to unscrunch. I highly recommend making it, just jump right in, its super easy!

I haven't tried soaking it though.
    2b, 2c / f / ii / medium-high porosity
    Vo5-never again, i now can plop!
    CG since may 09, and hubby LOVES the new wavy 'tude!
    :thumbleft:
    products: CV SB, burt's bees more moisture conditioner, co-wash suave naturals coconut condish. FSG, shea hair butter, hair refresher
  • LightWavesLightWaves Registered Users Posts: 114

I use golden flax seeds, but only because I once read somewhere on this site that they give better hold. I'm not sure if that's really true as I've never tried the brown to test it out for myself, but the golden do give me a gel that holds well!
    2a/2b/2c - I've experienced them all :iconbiggrin:

Still not sure about porosity/protein... my hair takes forever to dry & products often weigh it down, but I like protein. Thus I'm confused.

LowPoo: Mastey Traite
    Cowash: Burt's Bees Super Shiny, Trader Joe's TTT
    DT: Sevi Pumpkin Conditioner
    Styling: FSG, Pantene Curls Mousse, SS FHG, AO B5 Design Gel, Giovanni Mousse
    PT: Nexus Emergencee, AO GBP
    Styling Methods: Plopping, diffusing

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file