Posted this before-- Please help!

alybugalybug Registered Users Posts: 6
I know this is probably a stupid question but here it goes..

So, I havn't gotten my hair done by a pro in about 5 years. It has been ultra blonde to dark brown. Right now I made the transition from blonde to brown and I like it for now. However, summer is coming up soon and I'm really wanting to get highlights put in. And I am DONE with coloring my hair myself.

My main question is, will they be able to put highlights in my hair over the color I have done myself? or will I have to get it stripped?( I pray not...lol)

Comments

• CurlyToastCurlyToast Registered Users Posts: 579
    They should just foil in the highlights without stripping all of your hair, but I mean, they'll have the bleach and tone the highlights so those, technically, will be stripped.
  • alybugalybug Registered Users Posts: 6
    Thanks for the response! I just needed to make sure they wern't gonna surprise me with something else when all I wanted was highlights haha
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Registered Users Posts: 2,660 Curl Neophyte
    alybug wrote: »
    Thanks for the response! I just needed to make sure they wern't gonna surprise me with something else when all I wanted was highlights haha

Well, like the previous poster said, you can't highlight without stripping. You will have the areas that are going to be foiled stripped. It's just how it is. (Not the whole head, though).

You may be surprised anyway. My hubby's had blond highlights since
    97. Our previous hairdresser did a great job and it always was flattering, brightening, and natural-looking (people assumed it was his hair).

He just got it done with a different stylist (our old one retired) and it's just nowhere near as nice a job and looks artificial and his hair looks badly damaged (when it never did before, even though all bleaching damages hair, all highlights damage hair, and that's just part of it, it's the AMOUNT that's scary this time).

I think it's part expertise and part a different product, no doubt (previous one used Joico stuff).

So, just cause they do highlights and use foil doesn't mean they can't mess up your hair.

Hope you find a good one. Best bet--let your hair just throw off color cause it's hot and bright and don't fry it with bleach. Might end up real unhappy.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • alybugalybug Registered Users Posts: 6
    MirCurls wrote: »
    alybug wrote: »

Well, like the previous poster said, you can't highlight without stripping. You will have the areas that are going to be foiled stripped. It's just how it is. (Not the whole head, though).

You may be surprised anyway. My hubby's had blond highlights since
    97. Our previous hairdresser did a great job and it always was flattering, brightening, and natural-looking (people assumed it was his hair).

He just got it done with a different stylist (our old one retired) and it's just nowhere near as nice a job and looks artificial and his hair looks badly damaged (when it never did before, even though all bleaching damages hair, all highlights damage hair, and that's just part of it, it's the AMOUNT that's scary this time).

I think it's part expertise and part a different product, no doubt (previous one used Joico stuff).

So, just cause they do highlights and use foil doesn't mean they can't mess up your hair.

Hope you find a good one. Best bet--let your hair just throw off color cause it's hot and bright and don't fry it with bleach. Might end up real unhappy.

Thanks for your input! So are you saying I probably shouldn't do it or just to be cautious?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file