Paul Mitchell Hair Color

Lydyybuggin76Lydyybuggin76 Posts: 219Registered Users
Has anyone had the hair either highlighted or colored professionally w/ Paul Mitchell?
Here lies Jan Smith, wife of Thomas Smith, marble cutter. This monument was erected by her husband as a tribute to her memory and a specimen of his work. Monuments of this same style are two hundred and fifty dollars.
-Gravestone Inscription

Comments

• TranspogueTranspogue Posts: 31Registered Users
    I have. I was trained in Paul Mitchell and it was my first color line. It has its ups and downs.

The bleach is ok...nothing stellar or anything I'd go raving about. It has no tone to it so toning afterwards is usually always necessary.

Their color is ok as well. The permanent line is what I would call an "artist's colorline," in that the pigments are very strong and can lend themselves to a bit of opaqueness on the hair. Their blondes are probably their best tones. The reds don't have a lot of staying power...about average. The browns are ok. Overall, the entire line runs VERY warm, so if you have cool tones in your skin and hair, it's a bit tricky.

Their demi-permanent line, PM Shines, is far better, IMO. First off it is much, much gentler on the hair than permanent color, and the tones are much more translucent and therefore natural-appearing. They are deposit-only so they work only if you want to go darker or change your tone. However, they work very well as a top glaze over darker hair. The line produces beautiful reds. It also has a very pleasant smell.

Do you know what you'd like to get done with your hair color-wise?
    3A fine, growing out from a mohawk
    As of 1/07:
    Top 7"
    Sides 3.5"
    JC Aloeba, TooShea (1x wk.), Cleansing Cream (1-2x wk.), RR, CCSS, Kenra Volume Spray, Joico JoiWhip
    Want a rockin' curly cut?
    East 42nd St. Salon
    http://www.e42salon.com
  • Lydyybuggin76Lydyybuggin76 Posts: 219Registered Users
    Highlights... I ended up getting my hair done and I'm on the fence. Its not bad, but not great, either. The highlights are now toning tone slightly and my opinion is changing.
    Here lies Jan Smith, wife of Thomas Smith, marble cutter. This monument was erected by her husband as a tribute to her memory and a specimen of his work. Monuments of this same style are two hundred and fifty dollars.
    -Gravestone Inscription
  • TranspogueTranspogue Posts: 31Registered Users
    Aha. Highlights can change tones after they're done. Depending on the hardness of our water, or our own keratin breaking through, a lot of highlights will turn warmer after the application.

I'd give it a week, no more. If you aren't happy with the tone, book for a redo and ask to have the highlights toned.
    3A fine, growing out from a mohawk
    As of 1/07:
    Top 7"
    Sides 3.5"
    JC Aloeba, TooShea (1x wk.), Cleansing Cream (1-2x wk.), RR, CCSS, Kenra Volume Spray, Joico JoiWhip
    Want a rockin' curly cut?
    East 42nd St. Salon
    http://www.e42salon.com
  • Lydyybuggin76Lydyybuggin76 Posts: 219Registered Users
    Transpogue wrote:
    Aha. Highlights can change tones after they're done. Depending on the hardness of our water, or our own keratin breaking through, a lot of highlights will turn warmer after the application.

I'd give it a week, no more. If you aren't happy with the tone, book for a redo and ask to have the highlights toned.

Thanks for the advice. I feel better about it now and am getting compliments. I still want to throw an additional funky haircolor into the mix. Blue/black or red/burgundy. Will figure that out soon as well. :wink:
    -Gravestone Inscription

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file