No Shampoo in a Shampoo World?

SbudskySbudsky Registered Users Posts: 261 Curl Neophyte
First off, I'm new to this thread, so hi everyone! I have a couple questions I'm hoping you all can help me out with...

Anyway, here goes-- I've been nearly 100% CG for about a month and am totally sold on the idea that traditional shampoo dries out your hair and that we don't need strong chemicals to get our hair clean. My hair, overall, has been healthier and curlier and, for the first time ever, maintains it's shape throughout the day. At the same time, I have some concerns about not using regular shampoo because virtually everyone else does, and I imagine most (if not all) modern hair products (gels, mousses, etc.), even those that are technically CG, are developed with the understanding that users are washing them out with sulfates. I've been experiencing some build-up on my hair in the past few weeks and I'm concerned that this could become an ongoing issue if I'm only co-washing. Have others experienced this? How have you dealt with it?

I bought some sulfate and silicone free shampoo (Giovanni brand) and think I'm going to start using that once a week or so to clarify my hair. I was initially feeling a little guilty about breaking down and buying a shampoo, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure why it's such a no-no. Is there any downside to using a sulfate-free shampoo once in a while as opposed to co-wash?
waves, loose coils, and cherub curls (=mixed 2s through 3a), very fine texture overall (but with medium and even coarse strands scattered throughout)

Comments

• willowmina moonwillowmina moon Registered Users Posts: 109
    I've had the same problem. My scalp starts to feel gunky/sticky after about 3 wks of no shampoo. So I use a sulfate free shampoo about every 3-4 weeks. I use a very small amount diluted with water and work it into my scalp. Even if you don't get much suds it seems to clean well.
    Willow Moon
    3a, thin, fine, porous
    Tresemme Radiant Volume for Co-Wash
    Suave Mango Mandarin for Co-Wash
    Rosehip Seed Oil 5 drops after Co-Wash
    White Rain Hair Spray when hair is damp/dry
  • SbudskySbudsky Registered Users Posts: 261 Curl Neophyte
    Willowmina, do you feel like the sulfate-free shampoo dries out your hair? I washed my hair out with it yesterday and didn't dilute it, and my hair this morning was barely even wavy, but super poofy (normally it's in 2c-3A territory, but my curls have always been super fragile). I'm deep conditioning it now, so hopefully that will help. Maybe I'll just have to always plan to heavily re-moisturize after I wash. Anyway, thanks for your response!
    waves, loose coils, and cherub curls (=mixed 2s through 3a), very fine texture overall (but with medium and even coarse strands scattered throughout)
  • pearl89pearl89 Registered Users Posts: 185
    Sbudsky wrote: »
    Willowmina, do you feel like the sulfate-free shampoo dries out your hair? I washed my hair out with it yesterday and didn't dilute it, and my hair this morning was barely even wavy, but super poofy (normally it's in 2c-3A territory, but my curls have always been super fragile). I'm deep conditioning it now, so hopefully that will help. Maybe I'll just have to always plan to heavily re-moisturize after I wash. Anyway, thanks for your response!

Most people do re-moisturize after a shampoo or low-poo. I clarified a couple days ago and followed by leaving a conditioner in for about two hours
    3b/3c. S curls with coils at the end. Normol porosity. Medium texture, super elastic... Barely SL, hoping to go BSL.

Water wash
    RO: Garnier Triple Nutrition.
    Leave in: Suave naturals coconut
    Styling products: Biotera curling cream with a few drops of honey.
    DT: I'm experimenting.

I <3 satin XD
  • LollipopLollipop Registered Users Posts: 67
    A lot of people clarify occasionaly, and my favorite thing to do is to do a pre poo treatment before my burts bees sulfate free shampoo (cleans like a sulfate shampoo, it's amazing)
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Registered Users Posts: 2,571
    You can also protect your hair from the low poo by putting conditioner on the midshaft and ends before applying the lowpoo.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DolphinDolphin Registered Users Posts: 329
    rymorg2 wrote: »
    You can also protect your hair from the low poo by putting conditioner on the midshaft and ends before applying the lowpoo.

Do you mean the ends of the hair? And what exactly is mid-shaft? (I know I sound stupid. lol. sorry)
    Some 2b in the back, mostly (using FIA) 2c/F/iii.

Fine hair, normal porosity, and normal elasticity.

I'm still new to this CG stuff, so ANY tips you could give me are appreciated. :)

I have Celiac Disease, which means I can't eat or use products with wheat in it.

Formerly known as curlygirl92 and mixofwavescurls
  • ItsRainingCurlzItsRainingCurlz Registered Users Posts: 114
    Sbudsky wrote: »
    First off, I'm new to this thread, so hi everyone! I have a couple questions I'm hoping you all can help me out with...

Anyway, here goes-- I've been nearly 100% CG for about a month and am totally sold on the idea that traditional shampoo dries out your hair and that we don't need strong chemicals to get our hair clean. My hair, overall, has been healthier and curlier and, for the first time ever, maintains it's shape throughout the day. At the same time, I have some concerns about not using regular shampoo because virtually everyone else does, and I imagine most (if not all) modern hair products (gels, mousses, etc.), even those that are technically CG, are developed with the understanding that users are washing them out with sulfates. I've been experiencing some build-up on my hair in the past few weeks and I'm concerned that this could become an ongoing issue if I'm only co-washing. Have others experienced this? How have you dealt with it?

I bought some sulfate and silicone free shampoo (Giovanni brand) and think I'm going to start using that once a week or so to clarify my hair. I was initially feeling a little guilty about breaking down and buying a shampoo, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure why it's such a no-no. Is there any downside to using a sulfate-free shampoo once in a while as opposed to co-wash?

OK...I'm no expert but here it goes:

first of all...if you're feeling like you have buildup there's two things that could be going on:
    1-you're using a conditioner/ styiling products that contain silicones. therefore, since you're not using a sulfate shampoo, the silicone is simply building up. If this is the case, you will have to do a clarifying wash with a sulfate shampoo, since sulfate is the only thing that will completely get rid of silicones (possible build up youre feeling). what i would recommend is doing the 'poo and then deep conditioning for a loong time, like an hour or so.

2- you're NOT using silicones, BUT youre not cowashing right. as i understood from livecurlylivefree.com,with the sulfate in traditional shampoos, we didnt need to massage our scalps as much, the sulfate would do the "dirty" work. However, when going CG, you have to REALLY get in there and massage that scalp, so you remove all that gunk. it is literally all armwork. so scrub untill you cant feel your arms anymore.lol.

anyways, these are the two possibilities i see happening. obviously only you know whats going on. Hope the info helps you out!
    3A Med texture, normal porosity and elasticity
    CG since August 2010 and loving it :wink:
    Currently loving: Giovanni's tea tree low 'poo(once a week), GVP Conditioning Balm or Nubian Heritage Coconut and Papaya Conditioner, Honey DT's, Honey in my gel:P
    Style: Gel Biosilk's Hardrock Gelee(my HG) OR Beyond The Zone Noodle Head Curl Mousse or Alba Botanical Strong Hold Gel

Loves me some VOLUME So no clumps here, Thanks!
  • lil_earthmommalil_earthmomma Registered Users Posts: 35
    I think while non-sulfate shampoos are less harsh, some hair types still don't like them. I've been buying sulfate free shampoo for years, but my hair was still so dried out and messed up because of washing wih them.

Just listen to your hair, you'll know if you should stop using 'poo!
    3b-c, growing it out (it's really short right now, peices in the front just touch my nose if I stretch them out! lol), no-poo, no cones :toothy4:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file