Diffusing Questions

dark_wavesdark_waves Registered Users Posts: 611
So, I posted in the Random Thoughts post that I was considering diffusing since it is taking my hair longer to dry with the higher dews.

Some questions for those that diffuse:
1. Do you start to diffuse right away or wait?
2. Do you diffuse to 100% dry or a different %?

Thanks!
FIA: 2b/cFii
normal porosity

Comments

• solidgoldsolidgold Registered Users Posts: 1,485 Curl Neophyte
    I'll play. If I have unlimited time, I plop for about 10 min, then air dry for about 10 min, then diffuse for 5 min. It's probably about 75% dry by then. If I'm in a hurry, I do whatever I can in whatever amount of time I have!
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • elitaelita Registered Users Posts: 402 Curl Neophyte
    I play around with diffusing times also depending on how much time I have. I always plop for at least 30 minutes then give my hair about 5-10 minutes to settle. I diffuse for about 10 minutes at a time then come back several times between making lunches and helping the kids get ready for school. My hair is never completely dry when it's time for me to leave for work. Different products affect how long my hair takes to dry also.

I'm actually doing the opposite of you and have been air-drying the last couple weeks. I've always used heat and I'm trying to baby my hair before my next color & cut. To help it dry under the gel quicker, I've been gently pinching my fingers along each clump around 10:00, then it's ready to fully scrunch by noon. I used to get up at 4:00 so that I could diffuse my hair to almost 100% dry before going to work but air-drying lets me sleep in. :p
    2a underneath, 2b/c on top, medium texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, high density
    mod-CG since Feb 2009
    HG Combo: CJDF, BCDC & AFL
    Other Favorites:
    all things Spiral Solutions and Curl Junkie!! :love5:
  • dailywavydailywavy Registered Users Posts: 249
    I towel dry, then diffuse till 100%. If I don't my waves go flat and I touch them too much so my hair goes frizzy.
    2b, 2c / f / ii / medium-high porosity
    Vo5-never again, i now can plop!
    CG since may 09, and hubby LOVES the new wavy 'tude!
    :thumbleft:
    products: CV SB, burt's bees more moisture conditioner, co-wash suave naturals coconut condish. FSG, shea hair butter, hair refresher
  • curlysue21curlysue21 Registered Users Posts: 5,219
    I plop for maybe 5-10 minutes on average...longer if I'm lazy. I air dry for 20 minutes or longer again, if I don't feel like doing it right away. Then diffuse for 15-20 minutes until 90-95% dry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

• finaleofseemfinaleofseem Registered Users Posts: 900
    I've been air drying for the past few months out of sheer laziness, but when on the odd day that I do diffuse, I scrunch out excess water and plop for about 15 minutes, scrunch out more water with a t-shirt, and then diffuse. I only diffuse to about 80% dry at most.

Dailywavy, your results with diffusing have made me wonder if maybe I should give it a more consistent try. Seriously, that hair cut knocks me out.
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
  • runnerchickirunnerchicki Registered Users Posts: 475
    I diffuse till about 75% dry on the ends, but I try to get my roots more so that I get the volume. I flip my head over and stick the diffuser fingers near my scalp. This spares the drier ends of my hair from so much heat. Also, once my waves start to set from the gel, I switch to the cool setting. Still takes a while this way, but is much faster than air drying.
    FIA: 2cFii

Lady Crispina, Confector of Pharmaceutria and Conjurer of Exquisitus JuJu, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    dailywavy wrote: »
    I towel dry, then diffuse till 100%. If I don't my waves go flat and I touch them too much so my hair goes frizzy.
    Ok, so I tried this. I didn't pixie for the whole time - just enough to set the curl and get it crunchy, then I held the dryer a little further out and turned the heat up so it would dry (still didn't move the dryer much, though).

I have more curl and no frizz. None. Not one bit. I didn't change anything else.

It's a little too much work for me on a daily basis (diffusing with product took probably about 40 minutes to get it completely dry from towel-dry), but when I have time this is great!

Summer Routine
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Registered Users Posts: 1,637 Curl Neophyte
    I used to start diffusing almost immediately, but I found a system that works better for me. I don't plop anymore. I scrunch pretty aggressively with a microfiber towel, then I go about my business, coming back to scrunch some more every 5-10 minutes. I air dry for a while, because 1) I like my curl a little looser on top, and 2) if I start diffusing too early, I seem to get wonky curls. After about 45 minutes or so, I'll diffuse until dry, but sometimes I'll take a break halfway through and clip, walking around for about 5 minutes and coming back to diffuse some more. If i didn't diffuse, I don't think I'd get as much volume.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • dark_wavesdark_waves Registered Users Posts: 611
    So...I was looking through my cabinets yesterday and I think I threw out my diffuser a while back :confused1: because I can't find it anywhere!

Is there anything I can substitute until I can make it to the store to get one?
    normal porosity
  • gekko422gekko422 Registered Users Posts: 4,869 Curl Connoisseur
    I let my hair sit while I brush my teeth, put on moisturizer, etc. Then I scrunch out the excess water and diffuse. I diffuse about 80% dryish, I think. My hair is fully dry by the time I get to the office.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • tproultproul Registered Users Posts: 112
    I seem to get better curl formation if I diffuse right after I apply my products, with no plopping. If I don't diffuse right away and let it air dry for a few minutes, then I lose some curl. I usually pixie diffuse until about 80% done, then let the rest air dry while I fix lunches, breakfast, etc... and SOTC right before leaving the house.

Mod CG since Feb 2010
    I purchased the tourmaline diffuser from Sally's this weekend, and it doesn't fit my Conair dryer (which I LOVE and have had for YEARS - probably why I lost the original diffuser). My Conair is the older Ion Shine one and it has these little tube like things on each side, so a "universal" diffuser won't fit.

So, now I need to purchase a whole new dryer/diffuser combo if I want to start diffusing - which I need to start because again today I had to SOTC while it was still wet...

Any suggestions? I really don't want to spend too much money.
    normal porosity
    There are a couple of threads about the Conair Curl Fusion pancake dryer. I think Alexjoujou started one. I got one for about $20 and I love it!
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
    solidgold wrote: »
    There are a couple of threads about the Conair Curl Fusion pancake dryer. I think Alexjoujou started one. I got one for about $20 and I love it!

I was looking at that, but thought it may blow it around too much. Can you compare to drying with a bowl diffuser (the pixie curl way)?

I started looking at the Conair Ionic/Ceramic on at Target for $16.99 (with diffuser).
    normal porosity
    I can't find it cheaper than $34 :angry3:
    normal porosity
    I have the pancake and a bowl diffuser - I prefer the bowl diffuser. It can take longer, but I really like the way my hair turns out when I pixie, as opposed to with the pancake diffuser.

Summer Routine
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    dark_waves wrote: »
    solidgold wrote: »

I was looking at that, but thought it may blow it around too much. Can you compare to drying with a bowl diffuser (the pixie curl way)?

I started looking at the Conair Ionic/Ceramic on at Target for $16.99 (with diffuser).

I like the pancake one because I can get closer to my scalp. I don't think it blows around too much. I have an old bowl diffuser too, and I think it dries faster with it, but I prefer the pancake. (mmm, pancakes. I'm hungry.) It's also lighter than the bowl--easier to hold.

Did you find any on Amazon? I think I got mine through a merchant there. I probably paid $25 total...
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    The $34 was on Amazon...I found the one you were probably talking about ($20 and free shipping), but they were sold out.

I think I am going to go for the Conair one at Target (with the bowl diffuser). I just don't want to fall in love with something that is hard to find...so I am going to stay away :p

ETA: Finally found a picture of the diffuser that comes with the Conair Ionic/Ceramic Dryer and it is not a bowl...so on to the next option!
    normal porosity
    Yeah, I have that Conair dryer, and while I can still use it to pixie, it's definitely not a "bowl" diffuser. I just can't justify pony-ing up for a new dryer right now. Let me know what you find. If there's a decent one for about $20 or so, I'll totally bite.

Summer Routine
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    I went to Target this morning and just got the Conair Ionic/Ceramic one that is on sale for $16.99. It comes with a diffuser, but it isn't much of a bowl. I am going to try it with the one it comes with as well and the one I got from Sally's (since I haven't returned it yet).

I have ALWAYS had cheap Conair dryers, so I'm not worried about the dryer itself. This one is actually better than the one I have. It has 3 temp and 2 speed settings - the one I have now only has 2 of each.

I did find the Curl Fusion one on Ebay, and have been watching it. Solid I know you love it, but Finale - which do you prefer, the Curl Fusion or your regular dryer with a diffuser?
    normal porosity
  • Fusilli66Fusilli66 Registered Users Posts: 296
    curlysue21 wrote: »
    I plop for maybe 5-10 minutes on average...longer if I'm lazy. I air dry for 20 minutes or longer again, if I don't feel like doing it right away. Then diffuse for 15-20 minutes until 90-95% dry.

I do the same thing as you, with the only exception being I air dry for as long as I can - on average its about 30 minutes - and then diffuse about 10 minutes until almost dry.

Can someone tell me what "pixie" is????
    3A - Medium Texture - Normal Porosity - Modified CG since 3/2010
    Devacurl NoPoo - Devacurl OneC - Devacurl B'Leave In
    KCCC - LALCG - Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz
    Gina729 wrote: »
    curlysue21 wrote: »

I do the same thing as you, with the only exception being I air dry for as long as I can - on average its about 30 minutes - and then diffuse about 10 minutes until almost dry.

Can someone tell me what "pixie" is????

I think it is when you gather a section of hair in the diffuser bowl (like a plop) then turn the dryer on and let it sit for a bit and turn the dryer off before moving it to the next section.

This is just what I have gathered from reading about it - I have not actually done it yet.
    normal porosity
    I went to Target this morning and just got the Conair Ionic/Ceramic one that is on sale for $16.99. It comes with a diffuser, but it isn't much of a bowl. I am going to try it with the one it comes with as well and the one I got from Sally's (since I haven't returned it yet).

I have ALWAYS had cheap Conair dryers, so I'm not worried about the dryer itself. This one is actually better than the one I have. It has 3 temp and 2 speed settings - the one I have now only has 2 of each.

I did find the Curl Fusion one on Ebay, and have been watching it. Solid I know you love it, but Finale - which do you prefer, the Curl Fusion or your regular dryer with a diffuser?
    Dark, I prefer the "regular" Conair diffuser (in fact, I think you bought the exact one I have - could you let me know if the universal bowl diffuser fits it?). The pancake one is great for volume, as Solid said, but I'm generally OK in that department, and am looking for some enhancement, as well. I find that pixie curling (which is exactly what you described it as) is the best way for me to get this. I do that until my hair gets "crunchy" then turn up the heat and "salon style diffuse" meaning I hold it out away from my head and let it blow on my hair.

It really depends on how strong or weak your curl pattern is, I think. Mine's not terribly strong, so it needs all the help it can get.

Summer Routine
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
  • tproultproul Registered Users Posts: 112

Dark, I prefer the "regular" Conair diffuser (in fact, I think you bought the exact one I have - could you let me know if the universal bowl diffuser fits it?). The pancake one is great for volume, as Solid said, but I'm generally OK in that department, and am looking for some enhancement, as well. I find that pixie curling (which is exactly what you described it as) is the best way for me to get this. I do that until my hair gets "crunchy" then turn up the heat and "salon style diffuse" meaning I hold it out away from my head and let it blow on my hair.

It really depends on how strong or weak your curl pattern is, I think. Mine's not terribly strong, so it needs all the help it can get.

Finaleofseem, I only have low or high strength settings and no heat settings on my dryer. Should I turn up the strength setting as you do to dry the rest of my hair? I normally pixie curl dry my hair on low until about 80% done. I wonder if increasing the strength would just cause frizz?

Mod CG since Feb 2010
    Tproul, I think that's definitely a "your mileage may vary" kind of situation. I use a lot of gel because of my weak curl pattern, so my hair is pretty crunchy by the time it gets to be about 50% dry. At that point, I'm not worried about it moving/causing frizz. However, I do hold the diffuser out away from my head, and I don't whip it around much - just kind of hold it in place for a while, then move it slowly, and repeat.

I haven't had frizz problems, but that may be entirely because my hair needs a lot of product, or could be just a my hair kind of thing. What frizz I do have generally settles about 15 minutes or so after diffusing.

Summer Routine
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Registered Users Posts: 2,571
    I used to plop for about 15 mins, then airdry for awhile, then diffuse on low air flow. Recently I've started to diffuse all the way dry either after only a bit of plopping or right after applying my products, and a full speed. I pixiecurl diffuse, and I have had very little frizz recently even though I have done that and good curl formation too.

I will say that I have an expensive dryer, as I'm a stylist. I use the Paul Mitchell Ion Dryer with The Diffuser. It's HANDS DOWN the BEST dryer and diffuser I've ever used.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Finale, I just checked to see if it fits and it does. I am going to try them both and see if there is any difference. The one from Sally's is more bowl like, so I would think it would hold more hair in place , but who knows...I've never diffused before.
    normal porosity
    Oo, Dark, this means I have to stop by Sally's on my way home from work tomorrow and buy the diffuser. :)

I've been wanting a bowl diffuser for exactly that reason - I think it would be easier to fit my hair into it, and hold more at a time, meaning less time diffusing.

Summer Routine
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Registered Users Posts: 2,571
    I got my first bowl diffuser at Sallys....come to think of it, I think it was the Conair Universal one you all are talking about, and it was decent. IMO the diffuser itself isn't quite as important as the dryer! A universal diffuser will work well with a good dryer, but I did get the PM diffuser for my dryer because I needed a good diffuser anyway and the price wasn't bad.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I used the bowl one today and I liked it - I have so much more curl! I will try the one that came with it tomorrow to see how they compare.
    normal porosity

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file