My hair just doesn't grow.

curlyerikacurlyerika Posts: 247Registered Users
I got my hair cut in February and it hasn't grown at all. My hair never has grown fast. When I was 10 I had it cut to shoulder length, and after 5 years it was just barely at my bra strap. I've gone CG, I'm taking multivitamin gummy bears since I can't swallow pills.

What else can I possibly do? Would megatek be effective with my hair type? Is it worth the money? I'd have to buy it behind my mom's back though with my own money since she's not very supportive of me wanting my hair to grow/be healthy/be pretty.

What do you do when your hair just doesn't grow?
ModCG since 2/20/2010 :blob5:
2something with 3a/b ringlets underneath. Fi-ii. Med-High porousity. Super dense.
Lo-poo: Chi Hydrating Silk Bath
Condish & Leave-in: Tresemme Naturals
Styling: Ecostyler Krystal
Can be weighed down. Slightly sensitive to glycerin. Trying to grow to BSL.

Gels

Dislikes:
LALSG
Honey

Comments

• curlyerikacurlyerika Posts: 247Registered Users
    Anyone?? :sad7:
    2something with 3a/b ringlets underneath. Fi-ii. Med-High porousity. Super dense.

Gels

Dislikes:
    LALSG
    Honey
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Get a physical and bloodwork to make sure there's no underlying health reason.
  • KaliShantiKaliShanti Posts: 27Registered Users
    My hair is like that too... *hug*
    3a?; very fine
    Started CG 4.1.2010
    Growing it out; would love waist length, but my hair grows slowly.
    http://public.fotki.com/KaliShanti
    password:hair
  • NikG20NikG20 Posts: 461Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair grows, but it's probably breaking off.

My hair is naturally wavy/curlyish (was curlier when I was younger, then w/ flat irons and such it is just kinda wavy now) anyway so I thought my hair never grew when I was younger. I was so jealous of my sister because she always had long hair and even when she cut it it would grow back asap. It wasn't until I became a mom that I became "that girl". My hair grows like weeds now! It keeps growing back to waist length, and I keep cutting it to BSL. It's currently waist length, I need a cut soon.

So what did becoming a mom change?

Well, you don't have much time for yourself so my hair routine is pretty much nothing now, where as before I was either flat ironing, trying to define my curls/waves, and/or dying. Now that I don't do anything to my hair it just keeps growing, I wash it, put it in a bun/ponytail, and that's it. My hair never grew past shoulder length, and that was for YEARS. Well, it was breaking off.

I'm not sure if your story is similar, or if you notice breakage, but maybe try paying closer attention to that and pay extra attention to your ends. Be easy when you comb/brush your hair, especially when you get to your ends, you want to comb/brush the ends pretty slowly, otherwise they will most likely break- at least in my experience with my hair and my daughters hair.

I also agree with getting a physical and talking to your doctor about it.

Good luck!
    Hz5exYvWIb4
    Children's Natural Hair Care & Styling Blog:
  • AimWardAimWard Posts: 192Registered Users
    curlyerika wrote: »
    I got my hair cut in February and it hasn't grown at all. My hair never has grown fast. When I was 10 I had it cut to shoulder length, and after 5 years it was just barely at my bra strap. I've gone CG, I'm taking multivitamin gummy bears since I can't swallow pills.

What else can I possibly do? Would megatek be effective with my hair type? Is it worth the money? I'd have to buy it behind my mom's back though with my own money since she's not very supportive of me wanting my hair to grow/be healthy/be pretty.

Your hair is probably growing. It sounds like you're not retaining what you grow. How are you combing your hair? You can use all the multi-vits, and CG products in the world, but if you are not paying attention to the way you're combing or handling your hair, it will all be in vain. If you hear any kind of snap, crackle, or pop while combing or handling, you are breaking your hair off as fast as it grows.
    I like my gels light, my oils heavy, my conditioners thick, and my curls long...
  • curlyerikacurlyerika Posts: 247Registered Users
    I try to comb it gently and only when wet. I don't hear as many snaps and cracks as I did pre-CG. My hair has always been this way though, even when I was in preschool I was mistaken for a boy because my hair was short.

Gels

Dislikes:
    LALSG
    Honey
  • Rhonda FRhonda F Posts: 23Registered Users
    I know how you feel. Mine just doesnt grow fast either. My friends would all get 2-3 haircuts before I did. Now I used to brush it and style it. But Im trying this CG system, and threw my old brush in the drawer. I'm wanting to see if it makes a difference. (sigh) I am hypo thyroid tho, and Im told that affects your hair (and everything else)
    but what I do vividly remember, is being picked on as a child for my "wont be straight/flat un-growing hair".. lil girls can be soooo hurtful.

Mine is barely to my shoulders... and short on top. Its got a long way to go. I looked at all the multitudes of vitamins and stuff... but I really hate to buy more pills! Yano?

Rhonda
    Curly in Houston, TX. - Joined 5/2010. 3B fine - allergic to Sodium Laurel Sulf.
  • GRUGRU Posts: 32Registered Users
    I'll second the "get a physical" suggestion. My hair grows a lot faster now that I'm on thyroid medication. (and the pill is unbelievably small, and you can melt it under your tongue if you really can't swallow it)
    --combination 3b/3c, CG method since Oct 2009
    --former Product Junkie, now a Product Minimalist
    --using henna to cover gray and add oomph to strawberry-blonde hair
  • taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
    AimWard wrote: »
    curlyerika wrote: »

Your hair is probably growing. It sounds like you're not retaining what you grow. How are you combing your hair? You can use all the multi-vits, and CG products in the world, but if you are not paying attention to the way you're combing or handling your hair, it will all be in vain. If you hear any kind of snap, crackle, or pop while combing or handling, you are breaking your hair off as fast as it grows.

AimWard, do you manage to comb without breakage at all ? How ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file