CurlTalk

itchy dry scalp- Help!

uncontrolleduncontrolled Posts: 4Registered Users
I just went cone/sulfate free about a month and a half ago. I have been using suave naturals coconut and when i do shampoo (about once a week) it is with giovanni triple tree.
I have been getting flakies and I don't know if it is build up or dry scalp. It's itchy!! Today I used the triple tree and really scrubbed, let it soak for awhile and then conditioned. It seems that the triple tree helped with the itch but i still have the flakes, so I'm guessing it's dry scalp? What can I use to help this? My hair will get oily if use too much moisturizing, so I'm afraid to use oil on my hair. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!!

Comments

• CurlyPolkaDotCurlyPolkaDot Posts: 1,174Registered Users
    +1 I'd love to know some suggestions, but no oil for me. Oil gives me limp hair. TIA!
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii
    Countess DuckyDot :duckie: , Keeper of the book of Vegetarianism and Arty Pants, Leader of the Curly Ducks in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Away and might not be back. See me at: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwalkintowhispers.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • dailywavydailywavy Posts: 249Registered Users
    the brown sugar scrub doesn't help me much but i put some baking soda in my conditioner about equal amounts of each and scrub it in, clairifys my hair gently, and gets rid of the flakies. and it helps boost my curl a bit too. if it is a bad case try it a couple days in a row. you don't need to shampoo when you do this, but scrub well, and gently, and condition well after.

HTH
    Dailywavy
    2b, 2c / f / ii / medium-high porosity
    Vo5-never again, i now can plop!
    CG since may 09, and hubby LOVES the new wavy 'tude!
    :thumbleft:
    products: CV SB, burt's bees more moisture conditioner, co-wash suave naturals coconut condish. FSG, shea hair butter, hair refresher
  • finaleofseemfinaleofseem Posts: 900Registered Users
    dailywavy wrote: »
    the brown sugar scrub doesn't help me much but i put some baking soda in my conditioner about equal amounts of each and scrub it in, clairifys my hair gently, and gets rid of the flakies. and it helps boost my curl a bit too. if it is a bad case try it a couple days in a row. you don't need to shampoo when you do this, but scrub well, and gently, and condition well after.

HTH
    Dailywavy
    +1

When I feel like my scalp is getting icky/flaky, I do the same thing Daily does, and add baking soda to my cowash.

That said, I haven't had that issue since I stopped using Suave for a cowash. I switched to CJ Daily Fix, and my scalp hasn't needed a lowpoo or baking soda wash yet. Maybe try switching up your cowash and see what happens?
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
  • E2eE2e Posts: 246Registered Users
    dailywavy wrote: »

HTH
    Dailywavy
    +1

When I feel like my scalp is getting icky/flaky, I do the same thing Daily does, and add baking soda to my cowash.

That said, I haven't had that issue since I stopped using Suave for a cowash. I switched to CJ Daily Fix, and my scalp hasn't needed a lowpoo or baking soda wash yet. Maybe try switching up your cowash and see what happens?

+1 baking soda to my co-wash..
    FIA:2b/cMiiF
    Hair :love7: protein

Bellydancer in the Order of the Curly Crusaders.
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ooh, I didn't know that! Thanks for the baking soda tip, y'all!
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/