Paging Chef Mazey .......................or any curly-cook w

gooppygooppy Posts: 39Registered Users
I've got a crockpot recipe for Brunswick Stew but have never tried it so don't know how good it is (and it calls for succotash - what the heck is that?).

If you have a good one, can you please post your ingredients?

AND, what do you serve with it?

TIA icon_biggrin.gif

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: gooppy ]
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am perfect.

Comments

• geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    From epicurious.com:

succotash
    [SUHK-uh-tash]
    This southern United States favorite is a cooked dish of lima beans, corn kernels and sometimes chopped red and green sweet peppers. The name is taken from the Naragansett Indian word msickquatash , "boiled whole kernels of corn."
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    Hee! Actually, I've never heard of Brunswick stew. I am making a good old fashioned New England Fish Chowder this weekend, I'll let you know how that turns out icon_biggrin.gif

Isn't succotash just a mix of veggies and spices icon_confused.gif
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • gooppygooppy Posts: 39Registered Users
    Well, dh was born in New Haven, (I see you're from Connecticut), and he was raised up in Maryland, so he considers himself the officianado of New England quisine. I just thought you'd know about this one.

Fish chowder sounds yummy, don't think my offspring would eat it though. icon_rolleyes.gif

thufferin thuccotash icon_biggrin.gif
  • mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gooppy:
    thufferin thuccotash icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the first thing I thought of when I read your post! icon_biggrin.gif
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • On a hillOn a hill Posts: 3Registered Users
    I've had Brunswick Stew a few times, always in the Carolinas. I've never made it myself, but it's been served to me with corn bread most times.
  • gooppygooppy Posts: 39Registered Users
    WOW, just found out it's really a southern stew. DH is gonna be shocked. But, YEAH!, I win the debate about it with him. hehehe

"Brunswick Stew is another traditional favorite with Southern roots, and you'll find it served with barbecue in some regions. Whether you like yours with chicken, squirrel, rabbit, or pork, you'll find several recipes here to choose from.

Origins

According to one story, Brunswick stew was named for Brunswick County, Virginia, where in 1828 Dr. Creed Haskins of the Virginia state legislature asked for a special squirrel stew from "Uncle Jimmy" Matthews to feed people attending a political rally. Brunswick, Georgia residents claim their stew is the original. It's just as likely the stew - at least a very similar version - was created much earlier. With the original ingredients of game (usually squirrel) and corn, and long simmering over an open fire, it's typical of early native dishes.

Brunswick stew is now most commonly made with chicken, or a combination of several meats, which might include rabbit, beef, and pork. Onions, corn, and tomatoes are usually included, and many recipes call for lima beans, peas, and/or okra."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file