Sulfate free shampoos and silicones ...

jonquiljonquil Registered Users Posts: 94
I've noticed a lot of sulfate free shampoos seem to have silicone in them. Does this mean that the shampoo is strong enough to remove the silicone? Is it still cg if you aren't using sulfates, or is there an equivalently harsh chemical in them?

Comments

• sweetas17sweetas17 Registered Users Posts: 143
    No, in order to remove silicone you need a sulfate, but theres a flip side. Some silicones are water soluble and can be washed away with water or conditioner. See below:

*Silicones that are not soluble in water and build up on the hair: Cetearyl methicone, Cetyl Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Dimethiconol, Stearyl Dimethicone, and Trimethylsilylamodimethicone.

*Silicones that are slightly soluble in water and will build up on most types of curly hair: Amodimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Behenoxy Dimethicone, and Stearoxy Dimethicone.

*Silicones that are soluble in water and safe to use (they are not listed with PEG in front of them): Dimethicone Copolyol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane, and Lauryl methicone copolyol.
    CG re-joined: 3/15/2012
    2c,3a, (sensitive to protein)
    Cowash: Suave Naturals Coconut, Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    RinseOut (rotate): GVP condish balm, Garnier 3X Nutrition, Aubrey Honeysuckle
    Cleansing: KC Come Clean
    Stylers: CK, Biotera gel & cream, HE set me up, Pantene Curl Gel Spray
    Sunscreen: Fairy Tales Coco Cabana Sun Spray
  • SbudskySbudsky Registered Users Posts: 261 Curl Neophyte
    I read somewhere that the reason many sulfate-free or low sulfate shampoos have silicone in them is that they are marketed to people who dye their hair. The silicone coats the hair to lock the dye in and then the sulfate-free shampoo isn't strong enough to wash the silicone out, so the color lasts longer (but then the hair remains coated with silicone, which is no good if you're CG).
    waves, loose coils, and cherub curls (=mixed 2s through 3a), very fine texture overall (but with medium and even coarse strands scattered throughout)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file