Anyone have a recipe for Monkey Bread?

bushyheadbushyhead Posts: 1,676Registered Users
I've heard that this is really easy to make and I have an idea of how it's done, I just need the exact measurements of sugar, butter, etc.

TIA icon_biggrin.gif
tt2b5cc.aspx

"Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift . . . that's why it's called the present." - Unknown

Comments

• KimRKimR Posts: 2Registered Users
    I had never heard of monkey bread until I visited the States. It was made for a party I went to and the lady who made it sent me the recipe. I haven't actually made it myself yet ...

MONKEY BREAD
    2loaves of frozen bread
    3/4 cup of ice cream with nuts
    1 cube butter or maragine {1/2cup}
    1/2cup brown sugar
    Thaw bread for two hrs. and then slice into 1inch slices then take the ice
    cream,butter,and sugar and boil.
    take another 1/2cup white sugar and mix it with cinnamon put as much
    cinnamon
    as you wish. Roll bread in mixture then put in pan or casserole dish.
    Make sure that bread is standing up then pour boiling mixture over the top
    and let sit for 30 min. Then bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 min. then turn
    out on plate and enjoy
  • stephanieannstephanieann Posts: 25Registered Users
    This is what I use. You can use either 3 cans of refrigerated buttermilk biscuits or frozen white yeast rolls that have been thawed (I think it's 18 biscuits or rolls total?)...it just depends on which texture you like better.
    1/2 cup Margarine or Butter
    1/3 cup Granulated Sugar
    1/3 cup Brown Sugar
    1/4 cup Finely chopped nuts
    1 tablespoon Cinnamon
    Bundt pan

o Prepare Bundt pan by coating the inside with cooking spray and preheat oven to 375.

o Melt 1/2 cup butter (if you use margarine make sure it is at least 70% vegetable oil) in a bowl. In another bowl, mix the sugar, brown sugar, nuts and cinnamon.

o Cut each biscuit or roll into four sections and roll each section into a ball. Put each ball into the sugar mixture and coat, then drop into Bundt pan. After finishing first layer, drizzle a little melted butter over the top. Keep repeating and then sprinkle any extra sugar that you have on the top layer.

Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes.

Let it sit for about 2 or 3 minutes after you take it out of the oven and then turn it out onto a plate. Don't let it sit any longer than a couple minutes in the bundt pan or it will stick.
  • CurlyLaurenCurlyLauren Posts: 18Registered Users
    Here's another, courtesy of cookinglight.com...supposed to be very good based on the reviews (view them here http://cookinglight.recipes.aol.com/ratings/ratings.jsp?recipeID=3522&offset=6 )

Monkey Bread:

"Kind of a cinnamon roll on steroids, this I-can't-believe-it's-light delight ranked as one of the top 10 reader-subimitted recipes in our 10th-anniversary issue."

Ingredients
    2 (1-pound) loaves frozen white bread dough
    1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
    1 tablespoon reduced-calorie stick margarine
    1-3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
    Cooking spray

Directions
    Prep Time: 45 minutes
    Cooking Time: 50 minutes

Thaw bread dough in refrigerator for 12 hours.

Combine 1 cup sugar, brown sugar, milk, margarine, and 1-1/4 teaspoons cinnamon in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute. Remove sugar syrup from heat; let cool 10 minutes.

Combine 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a shallow dish; stir well. Cut each loaf of dough into 24 equal portions. Roll each portion in sugar mixture; layer balls of dough in a 12-cup Bundt pan coated with cooking spray. Pour sugar syrup over dough; cover and let rise in a warm place (85º), free from drafts, 35 minutes or until doubled in bulk.

Preheat oven to 350º.

Uncover, and bake at 350º for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately loosen edges of bread with a knife. Place a plate upside down on top of pan; invert onto plate. Remove pan; drizzle any remaining syrup over bread.
  • bushyheadbushyhead Posts: 1,676Registered Users
    Thanks! icon_smile.gif
    tt2b5cc.aspx

"Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift . . . that's why it's called the present." - Unknown
  • PeppyPeppy Posts: 3,290Registered Users
    Here's my favorite Monkey Bread recipe. It is so easy! icon_smile.gif

1/2 cup pecans, chopped
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 cans (10 ounces each) flaky buttermilk biscuits
    1/2 cup margarine
    1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    2 tablespoons water

* Sprinkle pecans evenly in bottom of well greased bundt pan. Combine white sugar and cinnamon. Cut biscuits into quarters. Roll each piece in sugar/cinnamon mixture and layer in pan over pecans. Combine margarine, brown sugar and water; heat to boiling and pour over biscuits. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool about 5 minutes and invert on platter.

Be careful when you invert it!!!!! The syrup is very hot! Trust me when I say that if you get the hot syrup on your hands, it sticks and hurts like hell!!!! icon_eek.gif Also use a platter a little larger than you think you need...the hot syrup will spread and I have made huge messes by using a too-small platter! icon_biggrin.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file