Does anyone use oil or a butter (like shea) as a heat protectant when straightening

taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
I've read in sevearal places about using oils as a heat protectant before flat ironing and am wondering whether the oil won't cause extra heat damage.

Has anyone used oil or a butter like shea as a heat protectant with constant flat ironing ? Does it really protect the hair ?

Comments

• lesliegonnacurllesliegonnacurl Posts: 478Registered Users
    taltal wrote: »
    I've read in sevearal places about using oils as a heat protectant before flat ironing and am wondering whether the oil won't cause extra heat damage.

Has anyone used oil or a butter like shea as a heat protectant with constant flat ironing ? Does it really protect the hair ?

Some of these natural companies (not saying I am against them) claim that these oils give protection against the flat iron, but I am too afraid that it fries and cooks the hair and if I am going to flat iron I stick with the silicone, I'm not taking my chances.
    Mostly relaxed, yet still curly hair, which I am going to try to grow out with daily conditioner rinses and a shampoo once or twice a week.

Officially Transitioning since March 2011.
    Last Relaxer September 2010

Got some kind of curly bangs going here! And I think my bangs are all natural!

I think that my natural hair is somewhere between a 3b and a 3c, I hope it's not too soon to tell! :blob4:
  • taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
    Thanks Leslie, however these werent companies advertising, but people who said they used some oils as heat protectants with good results, and with no heat damage.

Some of these natural companies (not saying I am against them) claim that these oils give protection against the flat iron, but I am too afraid that it fries and cooks the hair and if I am going to flat iron I stick with the silicone, I'm not taking my chances.
  • lesliegonnacurllesliegonnacurl Posts: 478Registered Users
    Thanks Leslie, however these werent companies advertising, but people who said they used some oils as heat protectants with good results, and with no heat damage.

whoops sorry!

My hair hasn't looked as shiny as it used to when I flat iron it at home (not planning on doing it much anymore) and I primarily use TiGi Dream Drops which is silicones mixed with some oils. I used to use their Heat Defender Flat Iron spray cause it could be used wet or dry, but they put a promotion on their website when they repackaged the Dream Drops and were selling it for $6.

I think if I were to flat iron again I would use the flat iron spray instead of the serum because the spray basically has a very light layer of silicones (not saying they are not serious effective silicones but the layer is thin) and no obvious oils. It has been a long time since I have gotten a really smooth and nice result at home, but the last time that I did I believe I had a little avocado oil in my hair, the spray (you can use wet or dry), then I blow dried, then likely I used more spray before flat ironing. I hate blow drying though because traditionally I always felt like it dried out my hair, and after a while I had to stop. I was also afraid the avocado oil was frying me--maybe it was okay since I had the spray on top.

I don't feel that the spray was smooth on wet hair so I'd prob just gently brush my hair out with leave in condish or a hair cream, then apply the flat iron spray if I were gonna flat iron now.
    Mostly relaxed, yet still curly hair, which I am going to try to grow out with daily conditioner rinses and a shampoo once or twice a week.

Officially Transitioning since March 2011.
    Last Relaxer September 2010

Got some kind of curly bangs going here! And I think my bangs are all natural!

I think that my natural hair is somewhere between a 3b and a 3c, I hope it's not too soon to tell! :blob4:
  • vicky86vicky86 Posts: 6Registered Users
    Yes, always use butter as my hair is very dry.
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users

I used to use oil when I was natural for a few months, straightened maybe three times a month- coconut or KBB hair oil. It looks GREAT at first, very shiny looking, heatlhy, the hair had movement it was great! Until... after awhile, like maybe 6 or 7 times I really noticed the damage! I'd use serums and heat protectant sprays many more times than that and had no damage... After awhile it became very obvious that I was indeed frying my hair. I'd say this isn't a good idea if you don't want split, damaged hair. Go for the good serums!
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• CandiiMamiiCandiiMamii Posts: 118Registered Users
    please dont. I used coconut oil before flat ironing before, I thought it would be ok because it is very light and I used just a dab... I ended up smelling like fried chicken.
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    Ok so ive used oil to protect my hair before hotcombing & flatironing (i do both) for years and always got great results! When i used oil my hair actually grew longer than it does now. It just depends on the type of oil used, the ONLY reason i stopped using oil is because my hair is fine & i wanted something more lightweight. I like the combo of infusium 23 leave in (before drying) & a drop of Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide (its great!)
    However im transitioning to natural products & recently bought some Karens Body Beautiful oil & plan to try flat ironing with that. The thing about oil is you cant use every type of oil & a little goes a long way. The kind i used before was an oil blend i bought from some man who walked in my salon when i used to go LoL.. the ingredients rubbed off so who knows what was exactly in it! If you use anything, id recommend Jojoba Oil because its so light. Also maybe some Safflower oil, but remember just a drop on each section!
    I wouldnt recommend coconut or shea because those are heavier. I do however use coconut AFTER as a "shine serum" & get great results. If your for the natural thing i recommend using Jane Carter Leave-In as a heat protectant which has oils in it.. used that by itself this weekend & my hair came out GREAT! It is super shiny and i used no silicones (i cowashed with Tresemme naturals)

Moral of my story is yes oils are okay but you'll get the best results with a combo of a light leave in & light oil -- the end =)

@CandiiMamii >> im lmao at the fried chicken comment, i know EXACTLY what you mean.. try it after
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file