~

EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Registered Users Posts: 8,792 Curl Neophyte
~

Comments

• CurlyToastCurlyToast Registered Users Posts: 579
    I found it quite drying. Actually, I followed it up with 3 rounds of bleach, which really didn't dry it out much more than the ColorFix had.

If you use it, it most likely won't be even as it does not remove color perfectly -- i.e. you will not be able to use it (more than likely) to achieve even color, root to tip. And the ColorFix'ed bit won't necessarily match the new growth, either.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    CurlyToast wrote: »
    I found it quite drying. Actually, I followed it up with 3 rounds of bleach, which really didn't dry it out much more than the ColorFix had.

If you use it, it most likely won't be even as it does not remove color perfectly -- i.e. you will not be able to use it (more than likely) to achieve even color, root to tip. And the ColorFix'ed bit won't necessarily match the new growth, either.
    Yes, it depends on the type of color they used as to how well your hair will match after using a color remover.

My sister has used ColorFix twice (I did it for her) and we followed the instructions for the Partial color removal (in the box). It is much more gentle that way. You end up using parts 1 and 2, but not part 3 if I recall. And one of the parts is mixed with shampoo.

It's probably your best bet, worth a try. You can always do some good DTs afterward. :) But don't expect it to be perfectly blended. But my sister's hair did look good enough afterward that she didn't have to color. She used it to lighten up her too dark color.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Registered Users Posts: 8,792 Curl Neophyte
    ~
    ColorFix lifts the scales of the cortex and chemically breaks up or "shrinks" the dye molecules so that they can be rinsed out. If you do not rinse out *all* of the dye it will be re-developed if you try to re-tint. It will also (re)oxidize some, if not rinsed out thoroughly, and darken up a level or two.

Pretty much all permanent dye processes work in a similar fashion in that it lifts the scales and then removes and redeposits color. Bleach does not do the re-deposit bit -- it just removes. The "holes" in hair strands (as a result of bleaching processes) are really just a combination of extreme protein and cortical loss that undermines the structure of the hair shaft, and it's not a given that everyone's hair will be equally damaged.
  • aislinaislin Registered Users Posts: 864
    I've done a test strand on myself in the past, and it wasn't too bad, drying wise. I did only use part one and two- they do say (all the reviewers) NOT to use part three. A lot of people say that it really ruined the results they got from lifting color from part one and two by almost making it look darker again, or a different color than before that was no good, like almost as if it put some color back in. Not sure on that because I used only part one and two.

I ended up going to a professional to get my color fixed because colorfix didn't really do much but take me up about a shade, not even noticeable.

HTH!
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

If you plan to recolor, I highly suggest using part 3. It is basically a developer that will re-develop whatever color has not rinsed out. So yes, it will turn your hair right back to the color you were trying to be rid of if you *haven't* successfully rinsed out all the color, however THE SAME THING WILL HAPPEN if you attempt to re-tint (and haven't evacuated all the old color).

i.e. if not all the color has rinsed out of your hair, and you attempt to re-tint it, it will turn right back into the color you were trying to be rid of, except that now you're out the additional cost of the new color, plus the frustration of not getting the results you'd planned on. Then you're right back to stage one with the ColorFix.

This is what happened to me. I colorFixx'ed twice, it still wasn't light enough. So I bleached it. As soon as the developer from the bleach process hit my hair, it was black again. I had to bleach it two more times. Had I just used part 3 (which I'd omitted based on reviews), I would only have had to bleach my hair once. Twice, max.

My recommendation (from experience) is to use the ColorFix. Then wash hair with as many sulfates as you can find, every day for at least a week. Then check it with part 3 and take it from there.
    If you plan to recolor, I highly suggest using part 3. It is basically a developer that will re-develop whatever color has not rinsed out. So yes, it will turn your hair right back to the color you were trying to be rid of if you *haven't* successfully rinsed out all the color, however THE SAME THING WILL HAPPEN if you attempt to re-tint (and haven't evacuated all the old color).

i.e. if not all the color has rinsed out of your hair, and you attempt to re-tint it, it will turn right back into the color you were trying to be rid of, except that now you're out the additional cost of the new color, plus the frustration of not getting the results you'd planned on. Then you're right back to stage one with the ColorFix.

This is what happened to me. I colorFixx'ed twice, it still wasn't light enough. So I bleached it. As soon as the developer from the bleach process hit my hair, it was black again. I had to bleach it two more times. Had I just used part 3 (which I'd omitted based on reviews), I would only have had to bleach my hair once. Twice, max.

My recommendation (from experience) is to use the ColorFix. Then wash hair with as many sulfates as you can find, every day for at least a week. Then check it with part 3 and take it from there.

So you'd use part three after quite some time has gone by, after using shampoos and other styling products?

Maybe I don't really understand what a developer is and why it can still work after all that time. When you say rinse all the color out of your hair, do you mean like you're actually rinsing it out with water, or are you saying you're pulling all the old color out with the chemicals still?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm trying to figure out why the Colorfix wasn't so effective for me as maybe it could have been :-)

A quick and dirty version:

Permanent haircolor works by raising the scales of the cuticle, removing pigment, depositing the new color and then oxidizing, or developing, the new color molecules in situ.

The way ColorFix works is by raising the scales of the cuticle and separating/shrinking the molecules of the color you're attempting to be rid of, allowing them to be rinsed out. This is a chemical process, on a very small scale, and you don't at any point see, like, a flood of color being rinsed out of your hair.

If you don't rinse all of the de-bonded color out of your hair, the developer from any subsequent tinting process will essentially re-develop whatever has been left behind.

Yes. I would do a week or two's worth of rinsing and daily washing to make sure I was evacuating as much color as possible. I would then use part 3 as basically a check. Because it will let you know (by redeveloping remaining color) if another color process is going to work. Essentially, part 3 is a developer. Better, in my opinion, to find out if hair is going to revert back to the color I was just trying to lose *before* I spend money on another color that's just going to result in additional processing.

If part 3 results in undesirably dark hair, then you would have wound up with undesirably dark hair using any other color, as well.
    Excellent advice given here. :)

But since you don't want to recolor your hair, your best bet is to try ColorFix parts 1 and 2 and see what that gets you. It may lift enough to blend with the new growth and you won't have to do anything but a good DT.
    ~
    A quick and dirty version:

Permanent haircolor works by raising the scales of the cuticle, removing pigment, depositing the new color and then oxidizing, or developing, the new color molecules in situ.

The way ColorFix works is by raising the scales of the cuticle and separating/shrinking the molecules of the color you're attempting to be rid of, allowing them to be rinsed out. This is a chemical process, on a very small scale, and you don't at any point see, like, a flood of color being rinsed out of your hair.

If you don't rinse all of the de-bonded color out of your hair, the developer from any subsequent tinting process will essentially re-develop whatever has been left behind.

Yes. I would do a week or two's worth of rinsing and daily washing to make sure I was evacuating as much color as possible. I would then use part 3 as basically a check. Because it will let you know (by redeveloping remaining color) if another color process is going to work. Essentially, part 3 is a developer. Better, in my opinion, to find out if hair is going to revert back to the color I was just trying to lose *before* I spend money on another color that's just going to result in additional processing.

If part 3 results in undesirably dark hair, then you would have wound up with undesirably dark hair using any other color, as well.

That makes so much more sense now! Thank you for taking the time and effort to explain, that was a really easy to understand version lol. :hello1:

OP: Sorry for slightly hijacking your thread a bit here, good luck!

Sure :) Glad it helped.
    ~
    I've seen 60,000 different opinions on which was least damaging. I, personally, found ColorFix to be quite drying.
  • crazywavescrazywaves Registered Users Posts: 582
    I would use the part three. You dont sound like not coloring again is something your sure about. You could end up with two different colors. That would be a much bigger disaster to try to fix.

lazy loops wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info! I don't plan on recoloring, either at all or until fall or winter.
    ~
    lazy loops wrote: »
    OK, here's the reason for my confusion.

I checked at Sally's yesterday & there were three different color removers, Color Fix, Color Zap - http://www.sallybeauty.com/Haircolor-Remover/SBS-500495,default,pd.html & Ion Color Brilliance - http://www.sallybeauty.com/Color-Corrector/SBS-305884,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair05-10.

I was told the Ion needed a shampoo to be used with it & that there are really, truly three steps to this color remover.

Color Fix has only two steps plus a lotion 'developer'.

I'm assuming everyone is talking about the lotion developer as "part 3"? Or is everyone talking about an actual, true to life labeled part 3? :?
    You are correct, that's what we're calling part 3. It's been a while, I don't remember if that was numbered or not.

Did the Sally's people have an opinion?
    ~
  • SalamanderSalamander Registered Users Posts: 328
    The developer is the bit with peroxide in it; that will re-oxidize any remaining dye and let you know if it's all out or not.

Like others have said, skipping the developer will usually result in your hair re-darkening in a few days rather than immediately. Either way, you would need to use the ColorFix again to remove the remaining dye.

The shampoos they recommend using after color removal are chellating shampoos (the sort that swimmers use to get chlorine out of their hair). I believe they are of varying strengths; the Sally's employees usually don't know much at all about their products unfortunately.

BTW "chellating" shampoos are different from "clarifying" shampoos; they are designed to remove chemicals (like dyes or pool chemicals) from hair rather than removing product build-up.

You probably will need to re-color after using a color remover because while it removes the dye from your hair, it doesn't restore your virgin hair color. Your virgin color was altered or lifted to some degree when you colored it initially; if you used a semi-permanent color not too different from your virgin color it probably didn't lift it much, but if it was a permanent color you might find that all that is left after removing dye is yellow or orange hair...I would use a semi- or demi-permanent color to tone it back to something similar to your natural color, and would probably do a shade lighter because dying and removing dye leaves your hair rather porous so it might take the color darker than you want.
    2a/b right now; 2c when it's longer
    Fine/iii density/high porosity

Current favorites:
    Suave Naturals Coconut co-wash
    GVP Protein Restructuring Conditioner
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Eco-Styler, LALSG, BRHG, Garnier Curl Shaping Spray Gel
    ACV rinse 1x per week
  • pretebrowneyespretebrowneyes Registered Users Posts: 248
    First post! Ok....I'm planning to color my hair this weekend and I "assumed" that I'd be able to use the ColorFix product and then immediately follow with my coloring. I dyed my naturally jet black hair burgundy last October...that's the only color (and chemical) on my hair currently. Should I really do steps 1&2...then wash, wash, wash for a few days...and then develop and color? Or can I do this all in one sitting? I plan on washing my hair with Suave Naturals Clarifying shampoo a couple times this week just to get the ball rolling :)
    *MopTop Maven Healthy Hair Challenge 2011*:wave:

PrePoo- EVOO
    LowPoo- Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap bar
    Shampoo- ORS Creamy Aloe
    Clarifying poo- Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo
    DC- GVP Conditioning Balm
    PT- GVP K-Pak reconstructor
    Leave in- Giovanni Direct leave-in *with kimmaytube recipe*
    Moisturizer- water+aloe vera juice+castor oil+jojoba oil spritz
    Sealant- jojoba oil
    My experience -- with 2 days of repeated Suave clarifying -- was a total return to the color I was attempting to be rid of.

Yes, you can be done with it in one sitting. Then again, you can also be right back to square one. I'd personally err on the side of caution, given that I was exceptionally annoyed to have to go back and do 2 rounds of bleach.

That said, what color are you planning to tint your hair? Because unless you are wanting to go more than 2-3 levels *lighter* you should be able to just recolor.
    My experience -- with 2 days of repeated Suave clarifying -- was a total return to the color I was attempting to be rid of.

Yes, you can be done with it in one sitting. Then again, you can also be right back to square one. I'd personally err on the side of caution, given that I was exceptionally annoyed to have to go back and do 2 rounds of bleach.

That said, what color are you planning to tint your hair? Because unless you are wanting to go more than 2-3 levels *lighter* you should be able to just recolor.

I've picked out Wella ColorCharm in Nutmeg 7WV. So...from black to a medium blonde shade. Seems like I should be able to start with ColorFix on Friday night and wash and wash over Saturday and Sunday....then color Sunday night? Or hopefully it's something I can walk around with for a week lol.

PrePoo- EVOO
    Shampoo- ORS Creamy Aloe
    Sealant- jojoba oil
    I would just make sure that you use part 3 if you're going to color soon after ColorFix-ing. That will let you know if you need to repeat the process, without wasting the haircolor (o the stronger, presumably 20vol developer you bought to go with)

Also something to consider: if your hair is naturally jet black, ColorFix is really only going to remove the burgundy color you added. So your hair should be returned to a brown/black. Attempting to go up to a level 7 from what I'm assuming is about a natural level 3 will probably result in some brassiness. Home color, with a *30vol* developer can usually only get you +3 levels staying relatively true-to-tone. Just something to consider.

Also also: I've used Nutmeg in blends and, as with most Wella colors (apparently) I've found it to be about a level darker than it purports --which almost mitigates the preceding paragraph. ;)

ACTUALLY -- the warning about brassiness still stands, but I realized I was operating from the assumption that you'd used a demi-perm color. If the burgundy you used was permanent, colorfix should lift you to a weird orange-y or dark coppery shade. Your re-color will probably have stronger red tones than the color normally would.
    *deep breath* I won't mind red tones as long as their not over powering and the overall feel of the color is the same. I'm hoping for a multi-faceted look from a one process color job. I'm crossing my fingers lol.

I'd love to have it professionally done..but one of the main reasons I went back to my natural curls is to AVOID the salon at all costs lol. I don't have the money, time, nor patience for it.

PrePoo- EVOO
    Shampoo- ORS Creamy Aloe
    Sealant- jojoba oil
  • vtcurlievtcurlie Registered Users Posts: 16
    After reading this post and others I used the "milder" application of Color Fix on my hair that had come out too dark in my last home color treatment using RC. (The milder treatment was mixing Step 1 and 2 with a sulphate shampoo and leaving out Step 3 altogether.) I did the application 3 times over the course of about 5 days, washing with a sulphate shampoo in between and conditioning like crazy. The result was that my dark color lifted and it has been about a week since my last application and it still looks good - no return to the dark color. The condition of my hair is also good - I didn't find the treatment to be too drying, even though I also used a sulphate shampoo about 5 times.... I suspect that since my hair started out in good condition and that I conditioned it like crazy afterwards had a lot to do with it.

This was my first time trying Color Fix and although I hope I won't have to use it again - I will if I ever color too dark again.
    Mostly 3b with some 3c & 3a
    Modified CG since Sept 2008
    CO: Deva No-Poo and WEN
    LI: WEN & OneC
    Gel/Stylers: CHS CK & Gel, Jessicurl RR & CC
    Low poo once in awhile

Braving the gray & growing out my color!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file