Trichotillomania?

colormecurlycolormecurly Registered Users Posts: 23
Out of curiosity, does anyone here that is in the process of going GC / is using the GC method dealing with trichotillomania? For those who don't know what it is, trich. is a disorder where the person compulsively pulls out his/her hair. I've been dealing with it for the past several years, and while I don't have any bald spots, my hair has thinned quite considerably. I've gotten a lot better with it recently, but I still struggle with it. I have a hard time not playing with my hair. How do current GC-ers deal with it? How do you keep your curls intact and lovely while resisting the temptation to play with them?
CG since April 2010

Hair Type: 3b / Coarse / Low Porosity / Low Elasticity / High Density

Co-Wash: DevaCurl No Poo
Rinse-Out / Leave-In: BioInfusion Conditioning Balm
Curl Creme: Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up
Deep Treatment: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab

Comments

• generositytgenerosityt Registered Users Posts: 245
    Yes there are quite a few people here who are dealing with trichotillomania. There was a thread not long ago in the health issue forum, here is the link:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=98494
    Good luck dealing with it. It's not easy I know.
    A Mediterranean 3b lady
    In love with my curls, love love love
    CG since Nov/07

Co-Wash: VO5, Tresemme naturals, Fructis naturals
    Cond: Nature's Gate conditioners
    Stylers: Lotions made at home with coconut oil, honey, AVG, vegetable glycerin, OO, and EO.
    Gel: LA Looks sports gel for high humidity days.

Hair goal: Waist length healthy curls
  • colormecurlycolormecurly Registered Users Posts: 23
    Thank you so much, generosityt!
    CG since April 2010

Hair Type: 3b / Coarse / Low Porosity / Low Elasticity / High Density

Co-Wash: DevaCurl No Poo
    Rinse-Out / Leave-In: BioInfusion Conditioning Balm
    Curl Creme: Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up
    Deep Treatment: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
  • willamatthewswillamatthews Registered Users Posts: 10
    feel your pain. :( I am in the process of trying to stop pulling too. But I pull my hair, eyebrows and eyelashes. I know exactly what you're going through. So basically, I have tried everything. I will tell you what I have done so maybe you can get an idea of what to do and what doesn't work (but of course remember that this is me and it's different for everyone).

- I've put gloves on and it helps me not pull but my hands got hot and itchy!
    - I've taken Prozac and it reduces the urges.
    - Cold turkey && Will power is very hard and stresses me out but you can try it. It should work.
    - I've talked to people and it does help but it doesn't help the urges..
    - Trying to figure out as to what has stressed me out to see why I pull..still in the process of figuring it out.
    - Wearing a hat helps somewhat but doesn't stop me from pulling it off. You need will power for that.
  • Spelgurl2k11Spelgurl2k11 Registered Users Posts: 3
    I, too, suffer from trich. i have bald areas, and my eyelids are bare. I have stopped pulling out the hair on my head (yes!) but i believe i am suffering from it now. :(

goodluck!
  • jbaybayyjbaybayy Registered Users Posts: 38
    I, too, pull...I have for the past nine years. The BEST thing that I've done was get acrylic nails, because I couldn't quite grab at the hairs correctly, and by the time I realized what I was doing, I could will myself to stop. However, acrylics aren't the best for your nails and they are expensive to upkeep, so I don't know how viable of a solution this is. I wish everyone the best of luck, I know how hard it is!
  • IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    I recently ran across this article and remembered this thread. They're going to let you have the pdf article for free:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3044191/pdf/0360078.pdf
    Kind of interesting stuff.
  • MountaincurlMountaincurl Registered Users Posts: 571
    I've found I pull less the busier I am. Making no time to pull has helped me go over 2 weeks without pulling. I realize that this is easier said than done though.

Recently, cutting my hair off has been the best thing I've done for my trich.
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
  • CurlyColombianaCurlyColombiana Registered Users Posts: 82
    I used to have the problem when I was around 10. I stopped doing it on my own once I saw that I was almost going bald. I was getting made fun of at school too. People would call me "bald eagle". So then I just stopped.
    2c/3a; low porosity; fine texture
    Shampoo: Aussie Moisturizing Shampoo; Giovanni TTT Shampoo, Renpure Organics Shampoo (red bottle), Bragg ACV
    Conditioner: AO Honey Suckle Rose, Renpure Organics Conditioner (red bottle)
    Co-Wash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    D.T: CJ Curl Rehab
    L.I: CJ BC; KCKT; Alba Botanica Fragrance Free
    Styler: KCCC; L.A Looks Sports; Alba Botanica Fragrance Free Strong Hold Gel
    Pomade: Kinky Curly Gloss Pomade
    P.T: CJ Curl Fix
    Scalp Moisturizer: Shea Butter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file