Parent of biracial son with several types of curls

theoriginalmgirltheoriginalmgirl Posts: 58Registered Users
I'm looking for advice on how to determine the best way to care for my son's curly hair. Do I try to determine his hair's porosity, texture and type first? My main issue is how to moisturize his hair.

Comments

• madhuri_dixit_fanmadhuri_dixit_fan Posts: 310Registered Users
    There are many posts on the forum about determining porosity/texture and how to use them to help you choose products/methods to take care of curls. If you can't find those threads at a quick glance that help, please try doing a forum search. That's what I've had to do several times. :farao:

Also, this site may be helpful to you: http://www.tightlycurly.com. It has step by step instructions for taking care of curly hair using the conditioner method where you mostly use conditioner to wash and style curly hair.

My son has a curly mohawk, so his hair is short. But, it used to be Armpit Length. He has 3 curls patterns on his head, and has an area at the crown that is highly porous. His hair ranges from type 2 to 3b. Some areas get waves, the other tight corkscrews, and towards the back his hair stays str8 basically. So, a short style hides all that best, lol. The main thing I do to keep his hair moisturized is to spray it with Distilled Water + Aloe Vera Juice/Gel and seal that with Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil. That is normally done the day after a wash and every other day thereafter until next wash day, but I don't always seal with the oil on those subsequent days to avoid greasiness. I found that I have to do "extra" things to the highly porous areas of my son's head in order to cut down frizz and tangles. Basically it was using a gel over the moisturizer + sealer and also very low manipluation in that area and keeping that area loosely braided at night while he slept. When my son had APL hair I used a modified version of the method on http://www.tightlycurly.com. I subbed in products that worked for us and also had to use gel or oil on his highly porous area.
    RIP Natasha Richardson

Holy Grails: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner, AVG, EVO Coconut Oil, Amla Oil, KC Spiral Spritz, Brahmi Oil, Tea Tree eo, Rosemary eo, Distilled H2O, Aloe Vera Juice, Neem Oil, ACV, Dr. Bonner's Skikakai Castile Soap, Avocado Oil

Sometimes: AOMM Jelly, KCNT, KCCC
  • theoriginalmgirltheoriginalmgirl Posts: 58Registered Users
    How do I search for porosity type and products info?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file