Kuzu= the most awesome curls!!!

Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I have been getting the most awesome curls in years from my homemade kuzu jelly. Kuzu is a root starch use as a thickener. I have been using it as a replacement for Seamollient under most of my favorite gels for added body and curl. I have not figured out the right ratio of water to kuzu but it may be 3/4 c water to 1 T kuzu for a gravy like jelly; dissolve the kuzu first in cold water then heat on the stove to thicken ( don't microwave or it will turn into rubber ball!) I LOVE THIS STUFF FOR SUPER CURLY THICK HAIR!!!!!!:wav::wav:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse

Comments

• angel29ishangel29ish Posts: 800Registered Users
    Kuzu sounds interesting. I wonder if it could be used to thicken FSG. Did you find it at a health food store?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, fine, low/normal porosity
    CG - July 2009
    CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
    LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
    Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
    Too many others to list!
  • Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You can get it at health food stores, Asian markets and I got mine from Vitacost.http://www.vitacost.com/Eden-Foods-Kuzu-Root-Starch
    Agar agar flakes are supposed to work well as a gel also; I will try that next. I forgot to mention kuzu gives a strong hold and if you use a lot it can make your hair stiff BUT what I really like it wont glue my hair into a stringy mess; it is very easy to scrunch out! The plain kuzu gel may have a longer shelf life than FSG and would give more hold to FSG. I mix my FSG with Seamollient 50/50 and I would do the same with kuzu.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • PrettycurlsPrettycurls Posts: 1,482Registered Users
    So it is the same thing! Ignore my post on the other thread then.

Did you get shine and moisture with this similar to sea kelp bio or seamollient?
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

http://members.fotki.com/Prettycurls/about/ pw:curlspretty

• angel29ishangel29ish Posts: 800Registered Users
    Thanks HeatherOkay! If I can find this, I may have to experiment with thickening FSG. :flower:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, fine, low/normal porosity
    CG - July 2009
    CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
    LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
    Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
    Too many others to list!

Did you get shine and moisture with this similar to sea kelp bio or seamollient?

I may not get quite as much shine or moisture as I do with Seamollient but more curl, volume and hold. Since it can make hair stiffer ( a good thing for my super soft hair), I use more leave-in for more moisture.
  • SummerRubySummerRuby Posts: 468Registered Users
    Would it be possible to add kuzu to aloe vera gel (like FOTE) to make the hold stronger?

I may not get quite as much shine or moisture as I do with Seamollient but more curl, volume and hold. Since it can make hair stiffer ( a good thing for my super soft hair), I use more leave-in for more moisture.

Thanks. :king:
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

SummerRuby wrote: »
    Would it be possible to add kuzu to aloe vera gel (like FOTE) to make the hold stronger?

Good question...

I like aloe vera and it does give me shine, but no hold.
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

• curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    Good to know. I've been looking for something like this. Have you ever tried Arrowroot powder?
    I made a good batch today; I used 1/2 c distilled water and 1 1/2 tsp kuzu for a thick gel. I found that it is best if I do not use it every day for the best results ( may be a little drying?) and I rotate it with Seamollient. I keep mine in the fridge now because I don't think it lasts any longer than FSG.
  • blueroses79blueroses79 Posts: 122Registered Users
    How long do you heat it on the stove for? And what should the final texture be? I made some yesterday, and it was smooth at first, but I stirred some preservative in and that left it sort of curdled and thin.

The results in my hair are good. I mixed w/ FSG, and got much more hold than usual and quite a bit of shine. (And nothing but KCCC has given me hold so far, so this is good!)

FIA 2a-c, ii.
    Combo. fine/low porosity & coarse/porous.
    Stylers: All-in-one spray, FSG, KCCC
    Also using: Inecto condish, WW Tiare Pomade
    Dislikes: soap bars, glycerin, protein.
    Yawns at: all gels (even LALSG), Seamollient.
    http://public.fotki.com/blueroses79/

:dog: :coffee:
  • OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    Very interesting! I'll keep this thread in mind when I either get bored with FSG or I run low on Seamollient. Thanks, Heather0kay!
    http://public.fotki.com/opera-curls/ (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
  • WinonaWinona Posts: 565Registered Users
    hey ladies I have tried google and I cant find recipe using this.

How long are you letting it sit in cool water?
    Does it completely dissolve? Do you strain it?
    How long is it to be heated on the stove?
    What is the consistency like when you know it is does done?
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I made this using the proportions in post #11. I have a Instahot, so just used that to dissolve the kuzu root. I heated in the microwave until it came to a boil.

I've used it four times. I added it to my FSG--4 oz FSG/1 oz Kuzu Jelly (it acts like the jelly products for me.) I've used the FSG twice and Kuzu Jelly with a rich leave in twice. I prefer it with the richer leave in.

Today I used Marie Dean Simple Conditioner as my rinse out, the MD protein treatment as my leave in and two BIG blobs of Kuzu Jelly. My curls aren't quite as tight as usual--big Botticelli curls that start right at the root with good volume and no crunch what so ever (that's why I'm calling it jelly and not gel.) I don't need hold, so it's hard to evaluate how that is. I did my hair at 8 am and it still looks great. It's so soft and feels product free. I think I like it better than SeaMollient, which is pretty good, too.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file