We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

What do you use for a bookmark?

SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,677Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
If you read real books (with paper pages that you touch and turn), what do you use for a bookmark? Was wondering if people used a bookmark of some sort, dog-eared/folded down the page in some way, or just remembered what page they are on.

I use a bookmark of some sort. Usually the closest scrap of paper if I'm at home. For the book I keep in my car, I have one of those bookmarks with an elastic fabric band around it, to keep the page marked and keep the book from opening.
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• kenzie!kenzie! Posts: 5,055Registered Users
    I use both paper and folding down the page--sometimes I don't have a piece of paper handy, or its a cheap hand-me-down book that I don't care about so I just fold the page down.
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use a scrap of paper. I thought about buying a real bookmark with as much as I read. But the bookstores here only seem to carry cutesy, cheesy or religious ones.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    cympreni wrote: »
    I use a scrap of paper. I thought about buying a real bookmark with as much as I read. But the bookstores here only seem to carry cutesy, cheesy or religious ones.

This. I couldn't fold down a page. It just seems wrong to me to damage a book. I'm a freak I know, it's just paper but I can't do it.

So far I've used the same piece of paper for about 4 months!
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users
    My library usually has free bookmarks by the checkout counter (usually promoting reading or some other event) so I'll grab one and use it until I lose it or it starts to fall apart.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    Usually receipts... Sometimes from the library or book store. Other times just one that was sitting nearby!

Otherwise, I'm usually at work when I start new books, so I'll use a sticky note if that's the case. They're like the Mercedes Benz of bookmarks, for me!

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    I can't dog ear pages. I just can't. I love bookmarks and have about 20 of them. Every time I see one somewhere that I like I buy it.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    I usually use this flyer I got from Burton. My mother chewed me out for not having a proper bookmark- which I do, I just prefer the flyer because I spent over 2 hours trying to find the Burton store, so the flyer is really special to me :)
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • likethegumlikethegum Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I usually use a bus transfer
    3b/3a - CG since 04-30-2009
    fine texture, med porosity
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Co-wash:
    GTTT, Live Clean, EO Sweet Orange
    Condish: Calia, AO Rosa Mosqueta/White Camellia/Honeysuckle Rose/Island Naturals/GPB, ABBA Pure Gentle, Desert Essence Shea Butter
    DT: Usually just use one of my richer conditioners, sometimes add oils or honey
    Gels: Homemade FSG!!!, Druide, BRHG, Alba Soft Hold Style Cream,
    AOMM

experimenting with: honey, agave, oils, butters, ACV, Curls Milkshake, more conditioners

• duckyducky Posts: 927Registered Users
    whatever I can find - currently an old and faded airline ticket stub that was left in a book I got at the library - it's not even from one of my flights! But someone was reading the same book I checked out on a flight from SF to DC.

My husband bought me a very nice ribbon book thong bookmark from Borders, and I loved it - and I lost it. I almost never lose things, so I'm really bummed that I don't have it anymore, and when I go back to a city with a Borders, I'm going to buy another one.

I also can't dog-ear books. Not ever textbooks, just can't do it.
  • cakj99cakj99 Posts: 575Registered Users
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    I usually use a regular bookmark. I had one for eons that I loved but I lost it not too long ago! Now I just take one from work- we usually have some lying around (they're promotional items).
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Posts: 2,648Registered Users
    I used a crochet bookmark that I made. Prior to that, folded sticky note, a receipt, a bus map, or any such paper item.

My daughter's picture day is soon, and we're getting that laminated sheet that includes key fobs and bookmarks. So, I'll switch to that.
  • NeemsNeems Posts: 88Registered Users
    A few years ago, someone gave me a set of bookmark pens. They are really flat and clip onto a page. The greatest invention ever:happy7:
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm a bad bad dog-ear person. Or I'll use the sales receipt.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    ducky wrote: »
    whatever I can find - currently an old and faded airline ticket stub that was left in a book I got at the library - it's not even from one of my flights! But someone was reading the same book I checked out on a flight from SF to DC.

My husband bought me a very nice ribbon book thong bookmark from Borders, and I loved it - and I lost it. I almost never lose things, so I'm really bummed that I don't have it anymore, and when I go back to a city with a Borders, I'm going to buy another one.

I also can't dog-ear books. Not ever textbooks, just can't do it.

an airline stub is exactly what I'm using right now (but I bought the book at the airport so it makes sense)
  • MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    I use those really small Post-it notes. You'll pretty much find one of them stuck on the inside back cover of every book I've read around here.

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    You know the pull-outs that are in magazines? I use those.
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    Speckla wrote: »
    You know the pull-outs that are in magazines? I use those.

Exactly what I am using.
  • CeriCeri Posts: 142Registered Users
    We just painted my daughters room, so I've been using one of the rejected paint color sample strips from the paint store. Its the same size as a bookmark. Usually I just use whatever is laying around, I'm too cheap to actually buy a real bookmark.
    3a/3b Medium Texture & Normal Porosity
    Modified CG since November 2009
    Low Poo - (Once in a while) True Polaris Solid Shampoo Bar
    CO-wash/Condish - (I'm lazy, one step only!) True Polaris Solid Conditioner Bars
    Styling - True Polaris Truly Curly Styling Gel I add 'cones in summer Truly Frizz Free Hair Serum
    I plop and defuse daily

c_band2.gif I love MUSE
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I use the little folded "in remembrance" thing from my dad's funeral. It has his picture in it, and I like being able to look at it whenever I want. :)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    A collectable Wile E Coyote football card...:compress:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    I use bookmarks for bookmarks. :toothy6:
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • MaudieMaudie Posts: 508Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use a 3 x 5 card.
    Maudie

CO wash-Vo5 Kiwi Lime
    Regular CO-Tresemme Naturals Silicone Free
    Deep CO-Aussie 3 Minute Miracle

Shampoo-Jhirmack Silver Plus Ageless once a week
    Cream-Garnier Fructis Sleek $ Shine Leave-In Conditioning
    Gels-LA Looks Sport

Going silver-last hair color 4/10/15
  • hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,420Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like to use bookmarks but I'm not afraid to dog ear if I own the book. I like a smooth, slippery book mark that eaily moves on a page. It helps me speed read when a book isn't moving along quickly enough. Oh, and I like a tassle on the book mark so it's easy to find my page.
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
  • hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,420Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    PartyHair wrote: »
    I use the little folded "in remembrance" thing from my dad's funeral. It has his picture in it, and I like being able to look at it whenever I want. :)

I save all of those too. They are all stashed in my Bible so I guess I use them for bookmarks too. :)
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,777Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Depends on the book.
    For "beach reading" books (paperbacks that will just be passed on to others) I dog-ear the pages.
    For borrowed books I usually use a piece of paper.
    For my favorite books I use one of my favorite bookmarks.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey. Yes, it's in the senior section. : / -- https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    I prefer post its or those little post it tabs. That way I have a little flag that hangs out so I can see where I am. I can stick it on a later page and not lose it and it doesn't get pulled out and make me lose my place.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    I really hate bookmarks. They irritate the hell out of me- though Im not sure why.

I usually just leave the book open face down on the page, or more commonly, I just remember the page number, or roughly where I am then find the page. Easy peasy :)
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,677Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    kat180 wrote: »
    I usually just leave the book open face down on the page, or more commonly, I just remember the page number, or roughly where I am then find the page. Easy peasy :)
    I wish my brain could still handle your approach! :study:
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    Spiralli wrote: »
    kat180 wrote: »
    I wish my brain could still handle your approach! :study:

lol!

I dare say as I get older I will need to invest in a book mark! >(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file