Will straightening (using a flat iron) JUST my bangs 3x a week cause permanent damage

coolcurlyfrycoolcurlyfry Posts: 21Registered Users
Hi,

I was just about to start straightening my bangs about 3-4x a week, but then I started to wonder if it would cause serious permanent damage. I have a ceramic straightener and will probably buy a heat protectant this weekend. What do you think?

:)
coolcurlyfry
3b/3a-ish with a mind of it's own!
dry, thick
co-wash/leave-in: vo5 tea therapy chamomile and mint
Totally Twisted gel
aveda shine cream-y thing
mist with water
sometimes a few random things from my bathroom drawer lol
:blob2:

Comments

• Sigh-SidheSigh-Sidhe Posts: 57Registered Users
    it can change your curl pattern a bit..
    i used to flat iron my bangs alot (almost everyday for several years), but now that i'm wearing my hair curly i don't bother.. and my bangs still curl up, but not as tight as the rest of my hair (which is fine for me cuz i like my bangs as long as possible)
    but it sounds like your bangs will be fine :)
    hth
  • coolcurlyfrycoolcurlyfry Posts: 21Registered Users
    Thanks for the info!
    3b/3a-ish with a mind of it's own!
    dry, thick
    co-wash/leave-in: vo5 tea therapy chamomile and mint
    Totally Twisted gel
    aveda shine cream-y thing
    mist with water
    sometimes a few random things from my bathroom drawer lol
    :blob2:
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    Hi,

I was just about to start straightening my bangs about 3-4x a week, but then I started to wonder if it would cause serious permanent damage. I have a ceramic straightener and will probably buy a heat protectant this weekend. What do you think?

coolcurlyfry

Yes.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • BesmeeBesmee Posts: 28Registered Users
    It will most definitely be damaged if you use your flat iron without a heat protectant.

Why do you need to do it 3-4 times a week? Wouldn't it be fine just to do it once a week and maintain it?
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    definitely, i do NOT recommend using heat on your hair more than 2x's a week. Ive done it and seen the results.. whether you use a heat protectant or not. It will surely dry your hair out which will cause breakage & give you split ends, & it may mess up your curl pattern. Stay away LOL
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • a_cowens5a_cowens5 Posts: 45Registered Users
    I've been straightening my bangs for this entire school year, and by now, the curl is pretty much denatured. If i let them air dry the just wave at they end, and they were 3b before. They aren't dry though, I use Got2b archangel heat protectant, or tresemme heat styler spray.
    3A,3B ish...
  • nezumikiriqnezumikiriq Posts: 149Registered Users
    I might be kinda late on this,

but because i like my bangs more straightish, I pin them as straight as possible with a thin bobby pin while drying, and they end up with just a slight wave, which gives the same effect as straight but looks natural.

of course, I switch to a hair clip once dry because it's prettier, but if you just let your bangs loose they tend to get wavier throughtout the day.
    I'm 15 now but I don't get on often so I may be 67 by the time you read this.
    My name is Sarah.
    I come on here when I want hair advice because if you type in "curly hair" anywhere, all you get is advice on how to curl it. I used to get on here a lot when I was like, 12 or 13 (and first figuring out how to stop straightening my hair without being bullied), so if you happen to see some older posts of mine, shh. No judging.
  • dannysgirl777dannysgirl777 Posts: 70Registered Users
    yes, yes it will. my bangs no longer curl. Some of them do, the rest is perma straight. I kinda resemble medusa, and not in a good way ;)

I can take a pic of them if you would like.
    ~Kristen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<<-working my way back to this!!
    My hair when I was 17 and had no idea how to flatten it.
  • DimePiece17DimePiece17 Posts: 521Registered Users
    My bangs are bone straight...I keep hoping they'll grow out, but it's been 2 years...no dice :/...starting tomorrow I'm going on a no heat for 3 months regimen. I want to see what happens when I simply wash and use deep conditioners and leave ins for 3 months. Will my hair grow out? We'll see...I'm also taking biotin, msm, and a hair, skin, and nails vitamin 2xs a day. Don't do it!
    Beauty Tips for the Budgetista?
    Check me out on Youtube, Tumblr, FB, and Twitter!
    DimepieceonaDime-FB PAGE, Youtube Channel, and Tumblr
    Dimefabulous-Twitter name
    http://dimepieceonadime.tumblr.com/
  • imgonnastartawarimgonnastartawar Posts: 237Registered Users
    I DOES NOTHING!!!!!!

well at least for me, i've been straighteneing my bangs every second day for 1 year without a heat protectant and my curl pattern is the same, and my bangs are not damaged at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thought i'd just say.....from experiance that its ok to do this.....well at least for meee:flower:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file