Lightning HELP!?

Shelbynicole91Shelbynicole91 Posts: 72Registered Users
ok so i want to lighten up my hair, but dont want to fry it, i also have allergies so it cant be like "all over" dye, but like highlights or something, ok so my hairs naturally like a 3b or 3c and its naturally like a golden blonde, but latelly its turned like a light goldenish brown because of the winter, and i wanna get the blonde back, the thing is i dont want it to look fake or anythng or loose the gold to it, any ideas? i know nothing about hair dye, lol, plz help!!

Comments

• TranspogueTranspogue Posts: 31Registered Users
    Aha! Easy solution :)

What you want to do is make an appt. at a salon for a partial foil. Basically you'll be highlighting bits of your hair with what is called a high-lift color, which lifts the color while at the same time toning it. It will be completely off the scalp and therefore much more gentle than an allover color. If you don't know where to go, ask around if you like someone's color. Since you are a light golden brown right now, and seem to be warm-toned in general, you will get really nice golden highlights. This should be a super easy process on your hair.

If the stylist asks you how strong you want your highlights (as in how prevalent they are in the hair, width of the highlighted section, etc), I would probably describe it like you want thin ribbons going throughout, and make sure to mention that you want it to emphasize your curls. ;)

But make sure you know EXACTLY what she or he is doing before she does it.

Post pics when it's done!

XXOO
    3A fine, growing out from a mohawk
    As of 1/07:
    Top 7"
    Sides 3.5"
    JC Aloeba, TooShea (1x wk.), Cleansing Cream (1-2x wk.), RR, CCSS, Kenra Volume Spray, Joico JoiWhip
    Want a rockin' curly cut?
    East 42nd St. Salon
    http://www.e42salon.com
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Posts: 907Registered Users
    The above was an excellent idea but in case you can't afford a salon and would be OK with something that works gradually you could do chamomile rinses. Many years ago I knew a girl who kept her hair blond using them regularly. Another natural way to lighten hair is using lemon juice. Let me know if this interests you and I'll give you the details.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
  • Shelbynicole91Shelbynicole91 Posts: 72Registered Users
    ooh thanks Transpogue, "partial foil" gotcha! ill look into that, idk i guess im really "protective" with my curls, lol, its just i dont want them to mess em up, becaus eit takes me foreeeeeever to grow my hair out, but that sounds good, not on the scalp and all, thanks :) i just gotta find someplace to get it done now, lol
  • Shelbynicole91Shelbynicole91 Posts: 72Registered Users
    o and thanks halfwavyhalfcurly, it would be cool, and i use to do that in the summer when i was younger, with the lemaon juice, but im lookin for more "instant" results right now, thanks though, if i cant find a salon i might do that
  • missy60missy60 Posts: 351Registered Users
    I also use shimmer lights shampoo when my hair starts getting darker and it really lightens it up.
  • JaxieJaxie Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    The above was an excellent idea but in case you can't afford a salon and would be OK with something that works gradually you could do chamomile rinses. Many years ago I knew a girl who kept her hair blond using them regularly. Another natural way to lighten hair is using lemon juice. Let me know if this interests you and I'll give you the details.

I was wondering where you would get the chamomile rinses and how they work and how you use them. Thanks so much ~~jax
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Jaxie wrote:

I was wondering where you would get the chamomile rinses and how they work and how you use them. Thanks so much ~~jax
    I'm wondering too. Details please. Not for me, but my son is blonde but it's getting darker now that we moved from the land of sunshine (Albuquerque). I'd like a natural, safe way to lighten his hair a little. Please post the details! :) TIA

ETA: I have a bowlful of lemons off our tree too! lol
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    Here's a couple of recipes:

1) Steep 1/2 C. chamomile flowers in 1 quart boiling water for 30 mins., strain the mixture and let it cool to a comfortable warmth while you shampoo/Co-wash. Pour the mixture through towel-dried hair about 15 times (catching it in a basin each time, in order to use again). Squeeze the excess out of your hair and leave the solution on for 15 mins. before rinsing it out with clear water.

2) Steep 6 chamomile tea bags in a cup of boiling water until lukewarm. Remove the tea bags and add 8 drops of chamomile (essential) oil, combine with 1/2 cup plain yogurt mixing well. Apply this cream to dry hair and massage through to ends then cover with a plastic cap or, alternatively, plastic wrap. Wrap a towel over this and leave on 30 mins. Remove shower cap and shampoo/Co-wash.

During a search I also found this product which you can use for faster results. It contains a little peroxide in it but it's only 3% (the type used as a disinfectant). It's very similar to a product made in Spain which I used on one of my cousins many years ago with very good results.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

Thanks. Any lemon recipes? I'm a little worried about the peroxide on him (he's 9). Of course, I'd have to be extra careful with lemon and the eyes too.
    The first 2 recipes don't have any peroxide...

Lemon juice is drying and works best out in the sun, not good this time of year. I saw on another board that a hair dryer may be used but I don't know if a 9 y.o. would like that, also, if the hair dries too fast I don't know if it will do anything. I think all you need is enough pure lemon juice to moisten the hair but you can do a search for more details.

The first 2 recipes don't have any peroxide...
    I did notice. I'll just have to buy some chamomile then.
    Hey, I was reading at a forum from Spain and one of the ladies there confirmed that the chamomile rinses DO work (but you have to have a little patience because the effect is gradual). She said she knew several girls that had gotten good results with it, one who even had dark brown hair ended up with light brown hair.

They had dark brown and ended up with light brown and no orangey colors? Wow, that sounds good. Thanks so much for the recipes! ~~jax
    During a search I also found this product which you can use for faster results. It contains a little peroxide in it but it's only 3% (the type used as a disinfectant). It's very similar to a product made in Spain which I used on one of my cousins many years ago with very good results.[/color][/quote]

I was wondering, when you used this product on your cousin's hair, did you use the cotton ball application method they describe in the add for this product? If not what way did you apply it? Since its getting closer to spring I have been wanting to go lighter, but I definitely don't want to pay the money, or use anything too harsh. I've started doing the chamomile rinses (the recipe you gave with the yogurt in it) but as the summer gets closer I'm going to want a more dramatic effect. Now very gradual is good, but June not as much. Thanks so much! ~~jax
    I really don't remember how I did it,sorry, it was a very long time ago. But I'm sure I did whatever the instructions (for the Spanish product) called for...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file