CurlTalk

Dry Gel'ing...

SuccinctSuccinct Posts: 34Registered Users
Who does it? Post pics! I WANNA SEE! :toothy5:

I used Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel. It elongates my curls.... and all i have to do to wake it the next day is spritz some water on it.:drunken:
Hair Type: Very Fine 4a
CoWash: VO5
Fav Product: HEHH
Hair Oil: Jaloma Coconut/Olive/Castor Oil Mix.
DC: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle
Last Relaxer: August 15, 2009.
BC: October 1, 2009

Currently: Rocking my TWA...4" and growing.

Comments

• springyheadspringyhead Posts: 350Registered Users
    I REALLY gotta update my pics.

Of course I do it. Discovered it late summer last year and fell in love. My hair thrived with this method. Didn't work in the winter however.

Will update soon.
    4a, fine coils. low/med porosity. "It's springy. Like a slinky."--My Lil' Cousin

I use products on 90% dry hair.
    Wash: Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castille Soap.
    Conditioner: Tigi Bedhead Moisture Maniac/Suave Humectants
    Moisturizers: Long Aid
    Styler: Ecostyler Clear/ Vitamin E Oil
  • ilikenicestuffilikenicestuff Posts: 17Registered Users
    whats dry gel'ing? could it mean not having to do the dreaded sopping wet hair + gel in the shower?
  • SuccinctSuccinct Posts: 34Registered Users
    :toothy4:yup.

My hair likes it alot more than the sopping drippy gel thing.

And it instantly murders my frizz.
    Hair Type: Very Fine 4a
    CoWash: VO5
    Fav Product: HEHH
    Hair Oil: Jaloma Coconut/Olive/Castor Oil Mix.
    DC: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle
    Last Relaxer: August 15, 2009.
    BC: October 1, 2009

Currently: Rocking my TWA...4" and growing.
  • butterflibutterfli Posts: 178Registered Users
    So, the ladies that are dry gel'ing, are you putting anything under the gel. Such as leave in, oil, moisturizer, etc...
  • MoHair09MoHair09 Posts: 92Registered Users
    Yeah- what is dry gel'ing?? can some1 explain how they do this
  • MsC.MsC. Posts: 489Registered Users
    I dry gel too sometimes. It is pretty easy,I just cowash my hair put my leave in and butter in my hair, let it air dry in two braids.The next day i rake long aid gel through then some eco gel over the top shake and i am good for two weeks:) I need to update pics but i am scared of fotki:(
    hth
    C.
    Big Chop August 23,2008 myself&two daughters;-)
    Fia`s system:3c/4aMii
    INSANITY WORKOUT week 3 Day 1 7lbs lost to date:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NaturallyNikéNaturallyNiké Posts: 364Registered Users
    Ive done it.... I mainly do it with conditioner though (pic below), ive layed off gels (most styling products) for a while since my hair feels better w/o them...I do it the same way MsC. does, I just mist my hair a lil bit.....

Details on how i did it here:/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Flilnicka4u2nv%2Fhair-progress%2Ffebmar-09%2Fdrysyling.html" class="Popup

a07v34.jpg
    Niké (Nee-Kay):nike:

My world of curls
    2hchy5z.jpg3C/4A,Fine-Meduim,Thick, Lo Porosity

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Flilnicka4u2nv%2F" class="Popup

Leave-in/Moisturizer: Giovanni Direct Leave in
    Sealants:EVOO, JBCO, Crisco
    DC:Matrix Condtioning Balm,Giovanni SAS,Honey, Glycerin
    Shampoo:Dr.Bronner's Castile soap bar
    Styler: Flaxseed,DM Miracurl, SheaMoist Smoothie, OYH S&D
  • NaturallyNikéNaturallyNiké Posts: 364Registered Users
    Heres a pic of it done with Eco Style Gel....This was done on day 5 of a wash n go done with Vigorol Curls CC as a reviver...

2hntmox.jpg
    2nsnomu.jpg
    Niké (Nee-Kay):nike:

My world of curls
    2hchy5z.jpg3C/4A,Fine-Meduim,Thick, Lo Porosity

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Flilnicka4u2nv%2F" class="Popup

Leave-in/Moisturizer: Giovanni Direct Leave in
    Sealants:EVOO, JBCO, Crisco
    DC:Matrix Condtioning Balm,Giovanni SAS,Honey, Glycerin
    Shampoo:Dr.Bronner's Castile soap bar
    Styler: Flaxseed,DM Miracurl, SheaMoist Smoothie, OYH S&D
  • rachelolivia2010rachelolivia2010 Posts: 372Registered Users
    When i test gels on a piece of hair, i do damp gel'ing. :)
    awnmvgt87.png
    4a/OS/FN/Spongy
    Co-Wash: Vo5 Herbal Escapes Moisturizing Conditioner Free Me Freesia With Aloe Extract & Aussie Moist
    Leave In Conditioner: KCKT & seal with shea butter.
    Gel/Styler: KCCC or EcoStyler for edges.
    I think my hair likes cones... :)
  • tsha74tsha74 Posts: 81Registered Users
    What are you ladies doing for your nightly routine and how are you refreshing your curls in the morning?
    Last Relaxer: Nov 2008
    Transitioned: 18 months
    BC: April 4/20/2010
  • pearl89pearl89 Posts: 185Registered Users
    I usually put my gel on 2nd day hair, but Im having problems distributing it evenly.
    For the other that dry gel, how do you avoid uneven distribution?
    3b/3c. S curls with coils at the end. Normol porosity. Medium texture, super elastic... Barely SL, hoping to go BSL.

Water wash
    RO: Garnier Triple Nutrition.
    Leave in: Suave naturals coconut
    Styling products: Biotera curling cream with a few drops of honey.
    DT: I'm experimenting.

I <3 satin XD
  • h2wQueenh2wQueen Posts: 551Registered Users
    Interesting i hadn't considered this dry geling concept until i was at the hair show last week and they mentioned that a particular product could be used on dry hair. I am going to try it in the morning.
    "We Live From the Head Down and Not the Feet Up" ~Donnie
    tsha74 wrote: »
    What are you ladies doing for your nightly routine and how are you refreshing your curls in the morning?

In the evening i pineapple my hair on top of my head with an oil soaked scrunchie or ouchless band after massaging my scalp for about 5 minutes with jojaba oil.In the a.m i flip my head upside down and spray in blended beauty kick for curls and scrunch my ends and go.I wear my hair like this (when lazy for two weeks..lol)I have pics of my two week hair just looking for another way to share.I really like not having to do my hair for this long while wearing a wash n go style very convenient while in school.
    HTH.
    C.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    pearl89 wrote: »
    I usually put my gel on 2nd day hair, but Im having problems distributing it evenly.
    For the other that dry gel, how do you avoid uneven distribution?

I part in 4 sections and rake the gel through with my fingers per section starting from the back.
    HTH
    C.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bellepaysbellepays Posts: 38Registered Users
    Wow - interesting ladies. I've been natural for about 6 years and it never occured to me to dry gel...but I did it today! I co-washed with catwalk moisture conditioner? (blue bottle), used Creme of Nature Lemongrass something or other as a leave-in...braided hair in 5 sections. One large one in the back where I have mostly 3c, two smaller ones in the middle (4a) and 2 med. sections near my ears. This morning I woke up and the sections were still a bit damp but I unbraided and smooted ic fantasia clear gel throughout. Hair is less stretched then when I style wet. Definition is good. not crunchy. I should have been doing this during the winter. This is why I STILL read these boards even though I've been natural for so long and have pretty much hit a stride when it comes to styling. :thumbup:
    4a/3c Product Junkie here!

Holy Grail - KCCC of course :blob7:

Really interested in more natural products but don't really like to mix them myself.

I think my hair LOVES oil but need to use them more.

Have done a Henna treatment once and am hoping to do another one soon.
    Hey ladies,
    Ok i started a photobucket until fotki gets rid of their sickness...lol
    Here is a link to my hair at 2 weeks warning it is not styled it is a mess...lol, but I was able to easily style it even at two weeks with the dry style method. The other two pics are new dry style pictures when it is just done, so it is still moist from the long aid gel and eco as it dries it looks like the other pics but stays soft and moisturized until wash day.
    I picked up this technique from springy last year and it works pretty good(thanks beautiful).I also
    do condish only and kccc/knot method too but they take 50 years to dry.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs764.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx289%2F3delicatewonders%2F" class="Popup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users
    So I didn't want to wash my hair so I remembered this thread

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using CurlTalk App
  • happyfacehappyface Posts: 845Registered Users
    I've never even considered doing this. I might try it one weekend. My biggest pet peeve with my wash and gos is the lack of volume on the top. I'll give this dry gelling method a try and see if that fixes my problem.
    “Mama says pretty comes in all different sizes. And my size… is cute!” -Honey Boo Boo
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Posts: 1,578Registered Users
    So I didn't want to wash my hair so I remembered this thread

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using CurlTalk App

Looks good! What was it before? A twistout?
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
    Nope a 9 day ole WnG

thanks!
  • AllieCat0817AllieCat0817 Posts: 301Registered Users
    Been doing it for a year or so... Better elongation, less shrinkage. Especially with Ecostyler Olive Oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Chicago KinksChicago Kinks Posts: 2,747Registered Users
    Which gel types are yall using? Thinner gels like CJ Pattern Pusha, Curls Goddess Glaze or thicker gels like Eco or Fantasia IC gels?

I'm very curious but I think I would need some slip or I would end up with chunks of wavy hair. Is the hair totally dry or slightly damp?

...i'm supersonic
    **sophisticated ignorance, I type my cuss words in cursive**

Current Rotation (always changing): Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as my Leave-In, Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles, Entwine Argan Oil, Bobeam Shampoo Bars, QB CTDG and QB AHTB, UFD Curly Magic, B.A.S.K Anything.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.platinumpj.com" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup
    @PlatinumPJ
    See my hair waved up at first too. I put curl activator gel on first, then used my thicker gel for hold.

After I finished my hair was really wavy but I walked into some steam and it started to separate. The next day curls all over the place.

Folks kept asking me if it was my hair and how did i get it like that.
    So how much gel are you putting on your hair? Like are you putting enough for your hair to feel wet?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using CurlTalk App
    “Mama says pretty comes in all different sizes. And my size… is cute!” -Honey Boo Boo
  • naiha1naiha1 Posts: 209Registered Users
    I love using this method :-) I usually do this after a week (or more) old twist out. I have great results using miracaurl. I get pretty good elongation, any elongationis good for me, when my hair was past my shoulders it shrunk up to my earswith a regular wash and go.
    Happy, Nappy, and Kinky 24/7!!
    4/b very coily
    I did this today on a section of hair that got too straight after pineappling. That was a quick and easy fix.

Do you notice more or less shrinkage with this method?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using CurlTalk App