How soon after bleaching...

StormCloudCurlyStormCloudCurly Registered Users Posts: 116
Can one safely recolour?

I did major highlights all over in an effort to disguise the amount of grey I have. I'm really light now, and normally I'm a medium brown.

And this blonde does not look hot.

I have an appointment in a few weeks at the Jonathan Torch hair salon, yay! I want to go dark. Will it be ok or will my hair fall off?

Thanks!
pw: curlie

Comments

• CDRWCDRW Registered Users Posts: 177
    I think you are better off talking to your stylist. He/She will know exactly what state of health your hair is in when you go in. No one here can see or feel the condition of your hair.

I've done extensive highlighting and then coloured. I didn't lose my hair but boy it did take its toll. Be extra gentle to your hair after your colouring.
    Mostly 3B/C with a multiple personality disorder! :)
    CO-Wash: Curlicious Curls Cleansing Cream, Suave, Coconut Sublime
    Leave In: My own mix,
    Curls Milkshake, Curls Souffle

Stylers: My own mix
    -great results with Aussie IF gel
    -Curls Goddess Glaze
    DT: Lekair Cholesterol, my own mix
    Curls Ecstasy Hair Tea

Fotki
    PW: curlies

• SalamanderSalamander Registered Users Posts: 328
    Your stylist will be the one to decide whether your hair is ready to be colored or not ... but in the meantime, I would recommend protein treatments because bleaching leaves your hair very porous, which makes it take color very easily but it will fade very quickly.

Do some protein treatments, and some deep conditioning to keep your hair as moisturized as possible, and protect it at night by pineappleing, wearing a sleep bonnet or using a satin pillowcase.

You may also want to do a demi-permanent color rather than permanent as it will be gentler on your hair. If you are going darker, it will probably last a reasonable amount of time. I usually find that demi-permanent goes a little too dark the first couple of days but then fades to what I wanted, and going darker rather than lighter lasts longer.
    2a/b right now; 2c when it's longer
    Fine/iii density/high porosity

Current favorites:
    Suave Naturals Coconut co-wash
    GVP Protein Restructuring Conditioner
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Eco-Styler, LALSG, BRHG, Garnier Curl Shaping Spray Gel
    ACV rinse 1x per week
  • StormCloudCurlyStormCloudCurly Registered Users Posts: 116
    CDRW wrote: »
    I think you are better off talking to your stylist. He/She will know exactly what state of health your hair is in when you go in. No one here can see or feel the condition of your hair.

Yes, I will be up front with him about when it was last coloured. The bad thing is this is the first time I've seen this particular stylist, and I know it's hard for them, never having worked with your hair before, to know how your hair reacts to colour, etc. I plan on going there with my hair fully styled, though, so at least he will be able to see how my curls form.
  • StormCloudCurlyStormCloudCurly Registered Users Posts: 116
    Salamander wrote: »
    I would recommend protein treatments because bleaching leaves your hair very porous, which makes it take color very easily but it will fade very quickly.

Thanks for the tip! I do have a protein reconstructor, I think it's Joico K-Pak reconstructor, I'll start using it this week and also do some coconut oil DTs. My hair's in really bad shape. I'm going to have to cut more than I wanted to, given the fried ends.

I always say I'll never go blonde again - but I've done it probably 3 times in the past. I don't know if it's worth it, in the end; even if it does help disguise the greys a bit, it's too harsh on the hair, and on the wallet lol.
  • CurlyToastCurlyToast Registered Users Posts: 579
    Unless your hair is seriously damaged, doing a no-lift color on top of too-light highlights shouldn't be an immense issue for a colorist. It just won't take as long to process.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file