Curl Hate At The Theater!

SoficurlsSoficurls Posts: 177Registered Users
On Sat I went to the Dollar theater to watch Wolfman and in the previews they had an AXE (or tag)shower gel for men commercial where a blond (off course straight haired girl) was sitting at a living room with this cute curly haired guy that kept trying to be extremely sweet with her and she kept refusing him and giving him a "EWW" face. So at this point I find him adorable because of the cute curls, but I don't think they are going to thrash his curls.
Anyway. A machine with scissors appears on the screen and the camera starts shooting the floor. All of this curls start falling on the floor, and when they shoot the guy again he had short hip hair with long super straight bangs, they dressed him up in punk like clothes, and the blonde jumped on him. This is apparently what axe does to you, it pretties you up for girls. Off course I thought the message was horrible because to pretty this man up they cut his disgusting curls and straightened the rest of his hair.

I am still trying to find the damn thing on youtube:pukeright:
Soficurls:read2:3a, 3b
Amo mis rizos y mis crespos!

http://public.fotki.com/sofiturna/
CW SuaveCoconut
C GarnierTripleNutrition
DT VatikaCoconutOil
Style Biotera Creme, LA sports gel, HETT Gel or mousse, a bit of honey with any of these!
SuperSoak FlourSack TowelDiffuse and sometimes TT HairSpray!

Comments

• Curly_Cajun_FemmeCurly_Cajun_Femme Posts: 342Registered Users
    Soficurls wrote: »
    On Sat I went to the Dollar theater to watch Wolfman and in the previews they had an AXE (or tag)shower gel for men commercial where a blond (off course straight haired girl) was sitting at a living room with this cute curly haired guy that kept trying to be extremely sweet with her and she kept refusing him and giving him a "EWW" face. So at this point I find him adorable because of the cute curls, but I don't think they are going to thrash his curls.
    Anyway. A machine with scissors appears on the screen and the camera starts shooting the floor. All of this curls start falling on the floor, and when they shoot the guy again he had short hip hair with long super straight bangs, they dressed him up in punk like clothes, and the blonde jumped on him. This is apparently what axe does to you, it pretties you up for girls. Off course I thought the message was horrible because to pretty this man up they cut his disgusting curls and straightened the rest of his hair.

Worse still is the fact that many middle school aged boys believe that if you follow the AXE rules the girls will jump on you..
    Bad body image message for boys and young men...
    3b /3c
    HG Summer List
    Boots Pink is the bomb on my summer hair.
    Donna Marie MiraCurls
    Poos: KCCClean, JCChealting
    Leave In: KCKT, KomazaCalifia
    Conditioners:AOHR
    Styling: KCCC, BRHG, UFCM, MC
    Deep Tx's: CJCR and LustraSIlk
    Your mind is like a parachute, It only functions when its open.....
    Reality, What a concept.~G. Carlin
  • SoficurlsSoficurls Posts: 177Registered Users
    Soficurls wrote: »

Worse still is the fact that many middle school aged boys believe that if you follow the AXE rules the girls will jump on you..
    Bad body image message for boys and young men...

I know, I was reading an article about this somewhere, where apparently school boys derive their idea of courting and image from the AXE commercials! That is SO SCARY!
    I was so angry at the theater I just could not shut up about it!
    Here in Dallas, you go anywhere, and everyone has straightened hair. It is rare to find curly heads. When I go with my bf to a restaurant, we always count the curly heads and they tend to be 0 to 2, and they are usually servers :( . Everyone else straightens.

CW SuaveCoconut
    C GarnierTripleNutrition
    DT VatikaCoconutOil
    Style Biotera Creme, LA sports gel, HETT Gel or mousse, a bit of honey with any of these!
  • OnyxCabeloOnyxCabelo Posts: 1,767Registered Users
    I saw the same commercial this weekend (we went to see the Clash...) Anyway, I didn't really pick up that it was meant to be curl hate - it seemed they were trying to say that women get easily bored, so if you use AXE you can keep the woman's attention. I snickered a bit at the end, because it was IMO dumb, but I didn't think about it again until you mentioned it here. Maybe I'll have to see it again to see what you're seeing:dontknow:.
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

Last Texturizer: March 12, 2008
    BC: July 21, 2008
    Hair: Coarse, low porosity, iii.

Certified Denirophile:love5:

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein
  • OnyxCabeloOnyxCabelo Posts: 1,767Registered Users
    Here's the commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uAN8pavTLs&feature=related - His hair definitely looks better before the cut - I can't see how many women would prefer the new version, but I guess that's the spoof of the commercial that women supposedly get bored easily.

ETA: His hair is curly again at the end:thumbup:
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

Last Texturizer: March 12, 2008
    BC: July 21, 2008
    Hair: Coarse, low porosity, iii.

Certified Denirophile:love5:

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    I agree w/OnyxCabelo's assessment. Don't think it was really about curl hate.

I hated the first "improved" hair style - talk about nerdy looking, LOL!
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    I don't think that the commercial's main intention is to show the uglyness in curls, in fact, i agree with you that what they want to show is that girls get easily bored. However, a person that is simply watching this, perhaps a child, or even a curly haired man, would pick up on the fact that when the guy had curly hair, the girl did not like him. They also focus on the curls falling, chopping the curls off. The better result is a straight haired man. The man the girl likes is the straight haired one. Even when they change different styles, the hair remains straight. Never curly again, even though he has potentially longish hair for it. That is my point. There are lots of commercials out there whose main intention is not to show that curly hair is undesirable, but they still use curly haired people to show what is not very much liked and how something different- perhaps straight- would make someone better looking, or cleaned up. That is another thing that drives me nuts. The fact that a straight haired men, with slicked back hair seems substantially cleaner than a curly headed one.

CW SuaveCoconut
    C GarnierTripleNutrition
    DT VatikaCoconutOil
    Oh, and thank you for finding the add! I couldnt!:wave::love10:

CW SuaveCoconut
    C GarnierTripleNutrition
    DT VatikaCoconutOil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file