Dark henna

CafeAuLaitCafeAuLait Registered Users Posts: 218
I've heard not to use henna in darker shades becuase it is not "real henna," but isn't it basically henna with some added ingredients? To make your hair darker with henna, is it true you have to do a two-step process with indigo?

I want a dark brown color. I've thought about trying some of the brown henna shades I've seen on Amazon, but will they work better than a box of hair color? My hair is originally dark brown, dyed lighter. I want to go back to my original color, but hair dye won't phase it since it's been bleached. How about henna? Anyone try darker shades? I definitely don't want a reddish brown.
Formerly ElsaG

Comments

• CDRWCDRW Registered Users Posts: 177
    Yes and no.

However, to keep it simple and technical yes!
    Henna leaves a red hue to your hair. Indigo is actually a very dark blue. However, layering it over the red makes it black.

Now you can mix both together in different proportions to give you different shades.

If you are looking for gray coverage then a two step process gives the best coverage. The two step process is also necessary if you are looking to go completely black.

I use a pre-mixed henna that I find in my local health food store. I usually use the brown pre-mixed, with the black pre-mixed to give me dark brown.
    The pre mixes I use are just henna mixed with different ratios of indigo to get the various shades , along with a few different herbs to enhance the colour outcome.
    There are no chemicals in the henna I buy from the box.

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/ has a great online reputation with pre-mixes available to you. I use Colora henna powder only not the creme version. It's the only one available to me locally without having to order online.

Here is a link for henna and everything henna. Written by a lady who did her PhD in henna. :)
    http://www.hennaforhair.com/
    Mostly 3B/C with a multiple personality disorder! :)
    CO-Wash: Curlicious Curls Cleansing Cream, Suave, Coconut Sublime
    Leave In: My own mix,
    Curls Milkshake, Curls Souffle

Stylers: My own mix
    -great results with Aussie IF gel
    -Curls Goddess Glaze
    DT: Lekair Cholesterol, my own mix
    Curls Ecstasy Hair Tea

Fotki
    PW: curlies

• CafeAuLaitCafeAuLait Registered Users Posts: 218
    Thanks. All of the brown ones I've found on Amazon have lots of ucky chemicals in them - they're not natural at all! I hesitate to use that on my hair if it's true that it is potentially more harmful than any old permanent dye. I don't want to use regular old henna, though, because I don't want the mess and the redness. I'll have to check out the link you provided. Even if it's not 100% natural and safe I may just go with it - I really want to go back to my natural color w/o fading.
    Formerly ElsaG
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Hello!

Becareful about using colors that claim to be 'colored' henna. Because there's ingredients added that aren't always listed on the package. And people have had serious allergic reactions. I ordered some and got a nice red rash and minor burns along the bottom half of my scalp. I stick with body art quality henna now.

I've been using henna since October of last year. It's turned my hair this color.

Picture-vi.jpg

It's a deep burgandy/red. It did have a organgy cast when I first started but it gets deeper and richer burgandy/red with more applications. It's a bright fiery red in the sun with no hint of organge. You can do henna and then an application of indigo to get a nice brownish color. My natural color is a light/medium ash brown....very mousy but I love how thick henna makes my hair and very shiny.
  • TinasArkTinasArk Registered Users Posts: 63
    I used to use a two step henna process to get my somewhat graying black hair back to black. It was a fairly time consuming process (three hours) and messy of course, but I loved the knowing that it was a natural product! However, it made my hair SO DRY I had to cut it all off (couldn't stand it!) and stop using hennas altogether.

Just my 2 cents for you to keep in mind, and plan on some good preventive measures against the possibility of you having straw hair.

Best of Luck to You!;)
    2c/3a Currently looking like Marc Bolan's
    NO Parabens, No SLS, No Cones please!

ElsaG wrote: »
    I don't want to use regular old henna, though, because I don't want the mess and the redness.

It seems you have answered your own question.
    Your only other alternative is something with chemicals.

I think Roux by Revlon makes some type of liquid hair colour that you apply to wet hair. It is made to enhance your chemical colour. I've never tried it. However, it does claim to blend in gray hair until your next colour treatment.

Here is a link to the Roux product:
    http://www.worldwidebeautystore.com/shopping/color-perm/color-roux.shtml#PRODUCTS1

-Curls Goddess Glaze
    Curls Ecstasy Hair Tea

Fotki

TinasArk wrote: »
    I used to use a two step henna process to get my somewhat graying black hair back to black. It was a fairly time consuming process (three hours) and messy of course, but I loved the knowing that it was a natural product! However, it made my hair SO DRY I had to cut it all off (couldn't stand it!) and stop using hennas altogether.

Just my 2 cents for you to keep in mind, and plan on some good preventive measures against the possibility of you having straw hair.

Best of Luck to You!;)

Wow! It's seldom I hear someone getting dry hair after a henna application. I always end up with hair that is really soft after my treatment.

Are you mixing your blend with any oils at all? If not then you should definitely follow up with a nice conditioner and only be using a conditioner to rinse the henna out of the hair.

-Curls Goddess Glaze
    Curls Ecstasy Hair Tea

Fotki

CDRW wrote: »
    Wow! It's seldom I hear someone getting dry hair after a henna application. I always end up with hair that is really soft after my treatment.

Are you mixing your blend with any oils at all? If not then you should definitely follow up with a nice conditioner and only be using a conditioner to rinse the henna out of the hair.

I know that most people say their hair is softer after henna, go figure! I got my product from hennaforhair.com and followed the directions exactly...which didn't include adding oils. I have heard/read of others who had drier hair after hennaing.

Yeah poor you!!! You're definitely the exception to the rule!

If you ever decide to try it out again in the future, look at their recipes from other ladies on their site or look to longhaircommunity.com, and longhairloom.com. Most of us blend our mix with some oils, and/or conditioner so it treats our hair as it colours it.

-Curls Goddess Glaze
    Curls Ecstasy Hair Tea

Fotki

CDRW wrote: »
    Yeah poor you!!! You're definitely the exception to the rule!

If you ever decide to try it out again in the future, look at their recipes from other ladies on their site or look to longhaircommunity.com, and longhairloom.com. Most of us blend our mix with some oils, and/or conditioner so it treats our hair as it colours it.

Thanks for the suggestion CDRW! icon14.gif

• aislinaislin Registered Users Posts: 864
    Speckla wrote: »
    Hello!

Becareful about using colors that claim to be 'colored' henna. Because there's ingredients added that aren't always listed on the package. And people have had serious allergic reactions. I ordered some and got a nice red rash and minor burns along the bottom half of my scalp. I stick with body art quality henna now.

I've been using henna since October of last year. It's turned my hair this color.

Picture-vi.jpg

It's a deep burgandy/red. It did have a organgy cast when I first started but it gets deeper and richer burgandy/red with more applications. It's a bright fiery red in the sun with no hint of organge. You can do henna and then an application of indigo to get a nice brownish color. My natural color is a light/medium ash brown....very mousy but I love how thick henna makes my hair and very shiny.

Just wanted to say you have absolutely GORGEOUS color Speckla! And holy cow has your hair grown! Do you happen to have any pics of it in the sunlight where it shows as more of a burgundy color? I'd love to see an example of what you mean! Does it look as dark in real life as it does in this picture? Here it almost looks like a very very dark brown, or a "soft black brown" type color.

Love it! :notworthy:
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• CafeAuLaitCafeAuLait Registered Users Posts: 218
    Well... I ended up getting a henna blend product: http://www.amazon.com/Godrej-Nupur-Henna-Herbs-Blend/dp/B001T7APMG/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1271607477&sr=8-15
    My hair originally started out brown with a lot of growing-out blond highlights. Now it looks similar to the woman in the Catwalk ad (to your left). It has a few darkening herbs which are supposed to counteract the reddening affect of henna (or i thought they would). My hair is darker all over, and the highlights have a golden reddish tint to them. I didn't leave it in for the full-time because I was afraid of ending up with black hair. I'm happy with the new color, but I ended up with way too much solution left over.

My question is is the solution ok to keep? It never said how much water to use with it, just to soak it in water for 2 hours. I used 1/2 a cup plus about 2 tsp. of product which was way too much. I also added some Queen Helene Cholesterol to it to thicken it up (some natural girl I am - HA!). I may apply it again in a day or two to try to darken up the highlights some more, but how long can I keep the pre-made solution? I want to wait a couple of days before using it again because I've heard henna can fade. I want to see what color it will be after fading. I hate to waste the solution - it's not really pricey but it takes so friggin long to prepare.
    Formerly ElsaG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file