My daughter

The_BabycakesThe_Babycakes Posts: 8Registered Users
This is about my daughter :D

I am from the land of the straight-haired. I don't have even a wave in my hair. If you load it with product and diffuse it... it will just be sticky straight hair. I have NO curl.

IknowIamCute.JPG

My daughter is AA/CC (as you can see in this picture). I've been reading and I think her hair is type 3b on most of it and 3c underneath but having no experience I don't know how close I am on that.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is what I currently do with her hair... (PS I live in Wyoming - any products you suggest to me I'm probably going to have to order online. The closest Walmart is 100 miles, too.)

I use either Loreal or Suave Shampoo/Conditioner, than the Conditioner with Detangler in it. I let that sit for a few mintues while she plays in the tub. I then use a big wide tooth pick that I've had since I was about 15 (back in the days of my spiral permed hair - ack - oh the damage). I pick it out. Rinse. Get out of the tub. Add a pantene leave in conditioner and from there I usually finger comb it and let it air dry.

It's all very heathly. My main problem is when she sleeps. Every morning we wake up with this massive mess of hair. Is there nothing I can do that will help it not be a tangled mass in the morning. I feel bad for her when I have to pick it all out and I know I'm not supposed to wash it everyday or it'll dry out.

So on the off bath days I use a spray detangler - drench it pretty much (lol) - and pick it out. She hates this and it makes her really mad (she'll be one next week).

She got a LOT of hair for such a little person, yes?

Anyway - any suggestions would be very helpful.

PS I will try to get a close-up of her hair later. Hopefully you can see her little corkscrew curls in that. :D
Camille
*Momma to The Babycakes*
(with the curly hair!)

Comments

• curlyjenncurlyjenn Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well, with my own 3b/c hair, I don't pick it all out unless it's got lots of conditioner in it. When I wake up with a mass of messy hair, I just pull out my spray bottle with water and a little conditioner squirted in, spray it and scrunch the curls back. I also add a bit of glycerin to moisturize those curls. I don't pick it out or detangle it again until it's full of conditioner. Do you think you could do that?
    I'm a 3b, with 3c underneath.
    I'm a product junkie. <3
  • talltwinmomtalltwinmom Posts: 95Registered Users
    Braid, braid, braid! That's the only thing that works for us. I have 3 AA/CC kids (1 boy and twin girls). The boy is easy - he keeps his hair pretty short most of the time. But my girls have a ton of hair (they are eight). One has probably 3a/3b hair, and the other has 3c, with a smattering of 4/a. If I don't keep it braided at night, it is awful in the morning, and who has time for drama every morning getting ready for school and work. I use lots of leave-in conditioner on their hair ([buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]Curls Milkshake[/buylink], or Garnier Fructis leave in). That helps immensely. We wash hair once a week, and do a deep conditioning after shampooing. I gently comb it out with a big comb, then up in braids it goes. Sometimes they will wear their hair down, but if they are doing sports, it can be a mess to detangle.

Because your daughter is so young, make sure you don't braid her hair too tightly. Wouldn't want her beautiful hair to come out. As far as products, Curlmart here on NC has some great products for curlies. I use alot of Curls products, Curl Junkie and Garnier. Garnier you can get at your local drugstore or Walmart. Curls has a website (curls.biz I think). Curl Junkie can be bought here. Unfortunately, not every product works for everyone. It's trial and error I've found.

Hopefully Viva's mom will post. Her daughter is closer in age I believe to your daughter, Her daughter's hair is beautiful, and I think she has some good suggestions.

BTW - your daughter is absolutely gorgeous. Makes me miss when my kiddos were that age.
    3a/3b thin, just to the shoulders Modified CG 3/06; still working on a routine de jour
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    she is soo cute.

I agree with the other posters braiding is the best way to keep tangles out. I never go to bed with unbraided hair. And always be careful with the detangleing, working from the bottom up.

The tangles and my mothers method of ripping combs/brushes through my hair were one of the things that really made me hate my curly hair when I was a kid. I still remember 30 years later how painful it was.
  • The_BabycakesThe_Babycakes Posts: 8Registered Users
    Oh that makes me want to cry! I don't want her to hate her hair.

It's too short yet to braid really unless I did tiny braids all over and I don't think she's sit still for that! :lol: I think it's too soft on top to stay in braids. Even when it's a crazy tangled mess it's still soft. Just after washing and drying it's just as soft as my straight hair. Just later... when the tangles come... She likes to stick things in her hair when it's tangled bucause they just stay up there. Silly baby!

I had someone suggest a satin/silky pillowcase. Do you all think that would help?

I'm gonna try the conditioner/water bottle thing next. I won't pick it out though - that's a great idea. I want her to love her hair and not think it's a pain (or painful) and be sad about it. Of course, I want her to love every part of herself! ;)

I have that Garnier leave in conditioner but I haven't tried it yet. I bough 3 or 4 at once. One I hated... I forget what it was Nexxus I think? And then I like the loreal. It makes it so her hair doesn't frizz all day. That picture above is actually the end of the day just before I got her undressed and into PJs :D Garnier I will try next. I like the smell of it.
    Camille
    *Momma to The Babycakes*
    (with the curly hair!)
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte

It's too short yet to braid really unless I did tiny braids all over and I don't think she's sit still for that! :lol: I think it's too soft on top to stay in braids. Even when it's a crazy tangled mess it's still soft. Just after washing and drying it's just as soft as my straight hair. Just later... when the tangles come... She likes to stick things in her hair when it's tangled bucause they just stay up there. Silly baby!

My hair is short and at night I smooth some Blended Cutie Soft Curls and Swirls on it then tie in 2 or 3 sections with cloth scruncis. Not too tight, and make sure to loop the ends of my hair beneath the scunci. In the morning when I shower, I loosen and let the steam loosen/damp and shrink it. Use a detangler or leave in mixed with a little water, smoothed in with my hands, not sprayed. Curl Junkie Hibiscus and Banana Leave-in or Blended Cutie Satin Style Detangler. I used both this morning and actually could run a comb through my hair (gasp!) :shock:
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I had someone suggest a satin/silky pillowcase. Do you all think that would help?

I'm gonna try the conditioner/water bottle thing next. I won't pick it out though - that's a great idea. I want her to love her hair and not think it's a pain (or painful) and be sad about it. Of course, I want her to love every part of herself! ;)

I have that Garnier leave in conditioner but I haven't tried it yet. I bough 3 or 4 at once. One I hated... I forget what it was Nexxus I think? And then I like the loreal. It makes it so her hair doesn't frizz all day. That picture above is actually the end of the day just before I got her undressed and into PJs :D Garnier I will try next. I like the smell of it.

With the tangles: if your detangling in the bath, drench her hair in conditioner, and detangle with the conditioner in the hair. Buying a cheap chonditioner is good for this so you can use as much as you need to lossen up those tangles. If you need to detangle when it's dry, the use the water/conditioner spray and wet hair down really good. Use a wide tooth comb, and start at the bottom. And if possible hold the hair slightly above where you are combing to prevent pulling the hair at the scalp. If you feel a tangle that doesn't come out the first stroke try again slightly above the tangle (use more detangler if necessary). This may take some time, but the fewer tears are 100% worth it. If her hair can stand the extra handling then maybe try a few mini detangleing sessions with your fingers throughout the day if it's really bad. for most of us more handling = more frizz, but kids can get away with alot more "bad hair days" then adults and still look absolutely adorable. I have a 3 year old with very curly hair too, and even on his worst hair days he still gets a billion compliments.

With the bedtime tangles, the silk/satin pillowcase should help i haven't tried one myself. Another idea I just thought of was perhaps a "sleep hat?" Get like a winter knit cap that's really soft or sew a silky lining inside it? It's just a thought, im not sure how well it would work out in reality. The purpose of the sleep braids is to minize the movement of the hair during sleep to so it can't get tangles. Just keep that in mind. You just need to contain the length so it can't move freely. I probably should have know better about her ability sit still for braids.

Oh and as far as me not like my hair because of tangles. I didn't mean to upset you. My case was quite a severe case. I had long hair (shoulder length), my mom would take one of those evil wire brushes (and she didn't care if those plastic tips fell off she would use it anyways) Start at the very top and just ripp the brush all the way down. If she found a tangle that didn't stop her she would just pull harder. To the point she was ripping handfuls of hair out of my head. I would fight and cry and make such a hassle understandably so, that she wouldn't brush my hair everyday, which just made it worse. She would wait until I had these huge "rat nests" as she called them. She made absolutely no attempt to make it easier, or less painful for me. many of my haircuts as a young kid were because of huge tangles that she couldn't get out. It really was a viscious cycle, that didn't end until I was old enough to brush and wash my own hair. Just the simple fact that you are here asking how to care for her hair proves that you are 1000 times better then my mom was concerning when it comes to hair

Luckily for your little girl, you are starting early, and are aware that she has different hair needs. That is the very good start. Just keep up the good work, and im sure everything will turn out just fine.
    Thank you all so much!

I'm off to find a decent water bottle today. We just recently moved and I can't find anything around here. lol

UGH! about the hair brushing! That just sounds horridly painful.

And don't worry - you didn't upset me. I just want to be aware of all this so it doesn't affect her negatively in anyway.

You can't imagine how I wish this child would wear a hat! LOL It's a great idea though! If she'd ever leave it on her head.

As soon as we have the lenth I'll start braiding in the back. When it's wet it's to her shoulders but you all know how that goes when it's dry! :)
    Camille
    *Momma to The Babycakes*
    (with the curly hair!)
    I think the satin pillow case would help some. My girls would not wear a scarf at all, and brother did I try. If you can't do braids, you might try some twists. Anything so that her hair isn't just loose. And a water bottle and conditioner are a mothers' best friend. You definitely want to make the combing process as pleasant as possible. My girls are starting to like having curly hair, but they still want it straight. It's a never ending battle.

Another conditioner I use that really helps is the Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deeep Conditioner. I just leave it on their hair as long as I can (30 mins if they will let me, but usually 10 or 15). It helps get out the kinks and knots pretty well.
    3a/3b thin, just to the shoulders Modified CG 3/06; still working on a routine de jour
    I just tried! I can do twists!

What do you used to keep them in place? Just those no pain hair bands? Her hair is so thick I can't use those little barrets. I gave them all to her CC/Spanish cousin with the thin slightly curly hair! :lol:
    Camille
    *Momma to The Babycakes*
    (with the curly hair!)
  • Aphro-DeeziacAphro-Deeziac Posts: 983Registered Users
    awww what a cutie patootie........try a little light oil moisturizer also or a small amount of light hair oil mixed in with your conditioner and water in a bottle. And braid that baby's hair in little ponytails. It looks sooo cute when its out like that but make it hard to comb without wetting every day.

oh yeah use a moisturizing shampoo, like Cream of Nature, that way you can skip the extra step of conditioning when you wash. It will leave your baby's hair silky soft. Not good for you though, will leave your hair very limp.

good luck to you and your munchkin.
    26560_1412644406072_1531382664_31035658_3971206_n.jpg
  • GoddessCurlsGoddessCurls Posts: 1,537Registered Users
    This is about my daughter :D

I am from the land of the straight-haired. I don't have even a wave in my hair. If you load it with product and diffuse it... it will just be sticky straight hair. I have NO curl.

IknowIamCute.JPG

My daughter is AA/CC (as you can see in this picture). I've been reading and I think her hair is type 3b on most of it and 3c underneath but having no experience I don't know how close I am on that.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is what I currently do with her hair... (PS I live in Wyoming - any products you suggest to me I'm probably going to have to order online. The closest Walmart is 100 miles, too.)

I use either Loreal or Suave Shampoo/Conditioner, than the Conditioner with Detangler in it. I let that sit for a few mintues while she plays in the tub. I then use a big wide tooth pick that I've had since I was about 15 (back in the days of my spiral permed hair - ack - oh the damage). I pick it out. Rinse. Get out of the tub. Add a pantene leave in conditioner and from there I usually finger comb it and let it air dry.

It's all very heathly. My main problem is when she sleeps. Every morning we wake up with this massive mess of hair. Is there nothing I can do that will help it not be a tangled mass in the morning. I feel bad for her when I have to pick it all out and I know I'm not supposed to wash it everyday or it'll dry out.

So on the off bath days I use a spray detangler - drench it pretty much (lol) - and pick it out. She hates this and it makes her really mad (she'll be one next week).

She got a LOT of hair for such a little person, yes?

Anyway - any suggestions would be very helpful.

PS I will try to get a close-up of her hair later. Hopefully you can see her little corkscrew curls in that. :D

Oh My God!! She is SO CUTE!!
    My mother had no idea what to do with my hair either (she was white with fine straight hair and I was brown with loads of thick curly hair)

She always put it up in a bun on the top of my head. She didn't know that you should only comb curly hair when it's wet with conditioner in it. That would be my advice. Make sure when she gets older that she is aware that alot of the stronger processes that are used on AA hair are a little too strong for her. I had to find that out the hard way by damaging my hair with relaxers. For the most part my mom just got one of the girls on my street to braid it cause she was at a loss.lol

Back on Cones,so now my routine is,wash with Deva No-Poo every other day or so. Occasionally use 365 sulfate free,maybe use low sulfate shampoo mixed with conditioner once every two weeks are longer. I condition with Aussie Moist or HEHH. I style with a little GF TN,and finish up with tons of GN Pure Clean Smoothing Cream. No frizz...slippy, happy hair.
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    She is TOOO cute. My daughter's hair is similar. She is only 13 months and has a head full of curls. It will not stay in braids but we put them in little ponies and try to twist them at night. The few times we've let it out at night, her hair is dry and very tangled.

I've been using Creme of Nature Shampoo and Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizing Hair Lotion http://www.allurebeautysupply.com/KIDS-ORGANICS-Shea-Butter-Detangling-Moisturizing-Hair-Lotion_p_134-754.html
    (it's great on my 3b/c hair too).

My sig line has her hair in ponies but here's a pic of it out: IMGP0196.jpg
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
    Ohhhh She's too cute! Great curls :D

I came to announce that I LOVE the fructis leave-in cream! Her curls look adorable. I'm gonna tried to do some little puffs in her hair but it's just too silky. It just curls together in these little smooth curls. grr ;)

But the fructis is helping tons & on the days we don't wash her hair I've been using the diluted conditioner. Works like a charm!

I'm so appreciative! I don't want her hair to be a struggle while she was a baby.

Today my baby is one year old!!!! :cry::D:cry::D (I alternate between those. lol)
    Camille
    *Momma to The Babycakes*
    (with the curly hair!)
    Happy Happy First B-day to your little "babycakes". I agree - both a joyful and tearful day!

By the way - I am sending you a PM. Look for it!
  • Spiral_KidsSpiral_Kids Posts: 1Registered Users
    I know that baby!! Hi Cam!!!

Her hair looks so cute..... :-)
    Rebecca -- a 2b mom to a
    2b 6 year old daughter
    4b 2 yr old son
    3c / 4a 4 month old daughter
    Hi!!! Glad you made it over here :D

Cool site, eh?
    Camille
    *Momma to The Babycakes*
    (with the curly hair!)
  • jaxjax Posts: 24Registered Users
    I have absolutely no advice for you, but she is a DOLL! Just want to *get* those cheeks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file