e.l.f. cosmetics -- pass or play?

SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I noticed on other boards that e.l.f. (www.eyeslipsface.com) products get discussed occasionally. Anyone here use this brand and like or dislike?
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!

Comments

• RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use the waterproof eyeliner. Looks like a liquid liner in a pen form. It's good. Nail polish isn't bad either. Didn't care for the eyeshadow. I was allergic to something in it I guess, it made me itch. I played with a couple of the highlighters and their ok but I like my others better.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't like any of the ELF makeup, but for only a buck each, their makeup brushes are pretty darn good.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    A pro MUA I work with likes their eyeshadows. Yeah, I think it's elf. What turned me off of the brand was the email circular that said elf had been purchased by Neiman's or something and, pending a rebranding, all the remaining inventory would be sold off for $1.

I'm not sure who started that email, but I assumed it was elf, hoping it would boost sales. It was just another email hoax.

I got that email more than once. Luckily, I was never suckered into buying anything.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hoax or not, I think I might enjoy the low price point on so many items. Even just to try things once to see how they do for me. If I place an order I will post back too.
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
  • kenzie!kenzie! Posts: 5,055Registered Users
    I like their eye brushes. I have a gloss that I like from them too....and I used to have some of the elements eyeshadows--I loved them, but when we moved I lost the palette.....
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
    I love e.l.f.!

The Studio and Minerals lines are good. The products are $3 each, except for the new powder sunscreen, HD foundation, face primer and brush kits.

If you're going for the $1 line, here are some products that have worked for me:

Conditioning lip balm (you really need to exfoliate your lips first)
    Eye brushes
    Liquid lipstick
    Eyelash curler
    Eyeshadows aren't bad
    Don't recommend the eyeliners or the clarifying pressed powder. It actually made my skin oily. Evil stuff.

From the mineral line, I'd recommend the eyeshadow primer. The consistency is a bit thin but it works just as well as Urban Decay Primer Potion, and for only $3.

From the Studio line, I like these so far:

Powder flat brush -- soooo soft and doesn't shed easily
    Complexion Perfection
    Shimmer Palette

If you sign up for emails from eyeslipsface.com, they frequently have deals where they offer a free gift or shipping when you spend $15, or something like that.
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    what stores sell elf?
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    The Target near me has them.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ^^^ thanks!
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • tanyafuzztanyafuzz Posts: 3Registered Users
    They aren't that bad for a buck! There is not alot of pigment in their colors and the lip glosses I bought smelled horrible. But, their shadows are great if you just want to experiment with new colors. I usually try a new color in a cheap product like elf and then if I like it, buy a more expensive version.

HTH!
  • CurlyCowgirlyCurlyCowgirly Posts: 299Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love elf shine removal sheets...They're like the Clean n' Clear ones, except you get 100 sheets for a buck!!!!

Paula's Choice rates some elf products pretty high. For me, they're just hard to find in stores, so for convenience purposes I don't bother with them aside from the beloved shine sheets.
    Low/Med porosity, very fine, low/med elasticity & density, 3A
    AKA hard to work with hair!

Low-Poo: Kenra Volumizing shampoo, AG Fast Food shampoo
    CO: AG Ultramoist, AO GPB, Nature's Gate Aloe Vera
    Gel: GFCC mousse, HETT, Aquage Megagel
    Also: Aloe Vera juice or Alba Leave-in. Weekly ACV rinse.
    Wishlist: YTC low-poo, Elucence poo, Bioterra Curl Creme, AGEbeautiful Strengthening trtment, SS Repairing Protein Trtment, LuxyHair ext's
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    I loved my elf lip gloss. LOVED!
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
    I love elf shine removal sheets...They're like the Clean n' Clear ones, except you get 100 sheets for a buck!!!!
    I bought several of these packets for DS to use, but he hasn't tried them yet. I had been spending $4-6 for the Clean & Clear ones for him. I think I am going to keep a packet at the office for me. I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner!
  • kalanekalane Posts: 424Registered Users

the e.l.f. shine removal sheets are a great deal. i use them to blot all the time (i have super oily skin) & they work just as well as any other brand. the healthy glow bronzing powder also works well as a cheek highlight. my favorite e.l.f. product is their eyeshadow brush. hard to believe it only costs a dollar.
    fotki twitter blog

event.png

In short, the characteristics of the powerful, whatever they may be, are thought to be better than the characteristics of the powerless – and logic has nothing to do with it.
    -- Gloria Steinem

Since placing my order, I've read that the HD Powder is supposed to be very good. Oh well, maybe next time. :compress:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file