Anybody know how to acheive beachy waves?

SpeedGoddessSpeedGoddess Registered Users Posts: 118
Hey everybody,
I'm about a 3B curl, and I'd like to be able to get those beachy waves, but I'm not sure how.
Does anybody know a good method??
Hair type: 3B

CG since: Dec '08

(Johnson&Johnson No More Tears Shampoo when need help with build-up), Suave Naturals condish, leave some in, LaBella Gel, then out the door!

You only live once...make it count

Comments

• ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    Do a thread search....there are about a million posts on the subject, including mine. :)
  • xodevinxodevin Registered Users Posts: 478
    I have trouble trying to do that. I think dry braiding or dry french braiding it works best to pull out the curls a bit.
    curly hair and proud (:
  • kenzie!kenzie! Registered Users Posts: 5,055
    When your hair is about 1/2 way dry spray it with sea salt spray (you can buy this or make it.....) and braid it into several large-ish loose braids. Sleep on the braids, and in the morning, when they're dry, take them out.

You can also use mousse to help with hold, and you can run a straightener over the dry braids to help "lock in" the style.
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
  • xodevinxodevin Registered Users Posts: 478
    I found that if I make a ton of tiny braids (about 5 or more on each side of my head) and then braid them into two larger braids on each side, I can get much looser waves. I have yet to perfect if, but I think you could let this dry overnight for an easy style!
    curly hair and proud (:
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Check out this article about getting beach waves!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • xLilQnBxxLilQnBx Registered Users Posts: 12
    kenzie! wrote: »
    When your hair is about 1/2 way dry spray it with sea salt spray (you can buy this or make it.....) and braid it into several large-ish loose braids. Sleep on the braids, and in the morning, when they're dry, take them out.

You can also use mousse to help with hold, and you can run a straightener over the dry braids to help "lock in" the style.

what does the sea salt do?
  • GirlWithUkuleleGirlWithUkulele Registered Users Posts: 150
    xLilQnBx wrote: »
    kenzie! wrote: »

what does the sea salt do?

Sea salt naturally curls and texturizes hair. If you've ever come back from an ocean's beach with curled hair, it's from the sea salt. It works pretty nicely :)
    Victoria, Keeper of the Celestial Charts and Protector of the Aquamarine Diadem in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

3a/b; low porosity; dense; medium thickness. Growing out a weird haircut.
    Cleanse: As I Am Curl Cowash; Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo
    Condition:Tresemme Naturals
    LI:KCKT; CHS LI
    Stylers: AG Re:Coil; CJCCCCL; KCCC; AG Mousse Gel; HESMU;
    Denman Brush.

Treatments:SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion; Aphogee PT
  • LollipopLollipop Registered Users Posts: 67
    I used to do one long french braid (maybe 2) starting at the tops of my ears. You can add the sea salt spray too. When I take it out I masage my scalp and just play with my hair. It's the one time when you can get away with messy
  • rachelilyrachelily Registered Users Posts: 340
    If I diffuse I get slightly 3a verging on b curls, but when I let my hair air dry I am much closer to a 2c. Have you tried letting your hair air dry from being completely soaking wet? Scrunch once at the beginning, then let the water weigh everything down until it is dry. You will be surprised how much looser the curl will be - I do this every day, it works very well!
    azb3ev.jpg
    2b-c/m/ii

Aussie Aussome Volume shampoo
    Coconut oil + Aussie AV shampoo
    Eufora aloe vera leave-in conditioner
    LA Looks Sport Gel

I use the super-soaker method :)

• wowohwowwowohwow Registered Users Posts: 449 Curl Novice
    rachelily wrote: »
    Have you tried letting your hair air dry from being completely soaking wet? Scrunch once at the beginning, then let the water weigh everything down until it is dry. You will be surprised how much looser the curl will be - I do this every day, it works very well!

That's how I do it too!! :)

If you do the french braids, make them very loose so that you don't get weird shapes that won't hang down, if you know what I mean?

On a side note, rachelily, you are so beautiful - you have the prettiest blue eyes! :love5: and your hair is adorable!! I want a hair cut like yours :D
    3a/C/iii; mod-CG since 07/14/08 :love2:
    Shampoo: Whole Foods 365 Citrus Grapefruit shampoo (same results as Deva Low Poo but a tenth of the price!)
    Condish: Deva One Condition
    Styling: Deva AnGel, then SOTC with no Frizz creme
    Hairtwins! Ab-star, Ledzeppole, Shellynot, soficurls and tarc817

• rachelilyrachelily Registered Users Posts: 340
    Oh I will try that loose French braid thing - I think my problem could also be that I start the french braid around the middle of my head and I should start all the way at the top, so the braid waves don't begin so suddenly!

And aw, thanks :oops: My hair cut is layered somewhat bluntly - a long layer, then a later about half an inch above that, and then one last layer a whole inch above that. It definitely helps with curl definition! And the growing-out once-side-swept bangs too :D I want it to growwwwwww
    azb3ev.jpg
    2b-c/m/ii

Aussie Aussome Volume shampoo
    Coconut oil + Aussie AV shampoo
    Eufora aloe vera leave-in conditioner
    LA Looks Sport Gel

I use the super-soaker method :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file