Black semi-perm color with purple base?

famus_darlingfamus_darling Registered Users Posts: 85
I am usually a lurker and I would like to start out by saying thank you for all of the great advice. I've seen a great improvement to my hair and the hair of my three daughters since visiting this forum.

I could really use some help finding a semi-perm hair color. I've had my hair dyed jet black for a couple years. And my beautician used to use a black that had an almost purple base, it was really dark and my hair always looked super shiny, but she told me she can no longer get it.

Does anyone know of a brand out there that carries a really dark black with a blue or purple undertone?

Thank you, any help is appreciated.
Me: 3c, very thick
BC- May 2010
Current routine:
pre poo: avacado, banana babyfood, grapeseed oil, and silk amino acid. Cleanser: DC No Poo 1x a week and BC 1x a week. DT: GVP Cond balm and grape seed oil
Co-wash: GVP CD, TJ tea tree
Leave-in: GVP CD, TJ tea tree, and grape seed oil
Styling: HETT and castor oil
DD (8 & 6 yo): both4s (1 thick, 2 thin) – keep in 2strand twists
DD (4yo): 3b (very thin, hard to grow) – keep in single braids with lots of beads for protection

Comments

• MirCurlsMirCurls Registered Users Posts: 2,660 Curl Neophyte
    Jet black with blue undertones is my fave hair color of all time. I'm too old now to carry it off. :( But that was my default hair color for years when I was younger. I still covet it.

Now, the person who should know the answer to this is, well, your hairdresser. Gothic black hair (very black, blue-black) doesn't ever go out of style (some segment of the population always wants it). So, different color brands should carry some jet blue-black OR an experienced hair dresser/colorist can mix it up, adding the violet/blues to the black. My hairdresser used to mix it up herself, not just use some color-in-the-box.

Your best bet is to ask your hairdresser first to seek out this info or to call salons to see if their colorist does blue-black (and tell them the brand you were used to using so they can compare).

It should not be hard to get your color the way you like it. :) If the brand is not as shiny as you like, you can always add a clear glaze (it's protective, too, for your color).

Maybe you could note people on the street, and if you see someone with totally great jet blue-black, ask them who does their color. :D

Good luck. I so wish I could still carry off this color. Sigh.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    I'm not sure about an actual black with a purple base, but Natural Instincts has a shade that comes out looking very much like it. I believe it's called Dark Cherry, or something to that effect. The color on the box looks like a deep burgundy but it comes out much darker, depending on your natural hair color. I have dark brown hair and it came out looking nearly black with a purple-y shade shining through. I don't know if that's close enough for you, though.

Of course, as MirCurls said, if you want to go the salon route, I'm sure you can find a colorist who can get the right shade for you. Good luck!
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • famus_darlingfamus_darling Registered Users Posts: 85
    Thank you very much for your response. I'm going to call my beutician to see the name and then perhaps I can find it online even though she can't get it anymore.

I'll let you know what I find out!
    Me: 3c, very thick
    BC- May 2010
    Current routine:
    pre poo: avacado, banana babyfood, grapeseed oil, and silk amino acid. Cleanser: DC No Poo 1x a week and BC 1x a week. DT: GVP Cond balm and grape seed oil
    Co-wash: GVP CD, TJ tea tree
    Leave-in: GVP CD, TJ tea tree, and grape seed oil
    Styling: HETT and castor oil
    DD (8 & 6 yo): both4s (1 thick, 2 thin) – keep in 2strand twists
    DD (4yo): 3b (very thin, hard to grow) – keep in single braids with lots of beads for protection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file