Questions about going CG/modified CG

leonita poraleonita pora Registered Users Posts: 175
Hi everyone,

I used to have fairly reliable 2b-3a curls that were soft and had volume several years ago. When living in New Jersey, North Carolina and NYC (at different points in my life), my curls were fine. I moved to Philadelphia about 4 years ago and ever since I've noticed my curls not behaving well. I think it is due to a drier climate, b/c the only time I really am happy with the curls is in the summer with some humidity in the air.

After checking out the awesome transformations through the CG before and after photo posts I decided to try CG. At first I tried going shampoo-less - I was not happy the first week (my hair felt gross and when I touch it, I got a residue on my hands that reminds me of the feeling after petting my dog if I haven't given her a bath in awhile), so I then decided to find a CG friendly shampoo (365 Citrus Grapefruit Shampoo) . I wash with this on my scalp and crown and a light conditioner (VO5 Herbal Escapes Kiwi Lime) on the ends, followed by a conditioning with Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Fortifying Conditioner. I do this maybe twice a week and try to co-wash with the VO5 and condition with cream conditioner in between (not necessarily every day). I use Lush's King of the Mods (which has on and off worked great for me - it doesn't make my hair crunchy or leave a sticky residue on my hands) as a styling gel.

I've been doing this for about 2.5 weeks (I know, I need to be patient!). The problem is that my hair looks great as it is drying (it takes several hours to air-dry), but eventually the curls won't keep - they start to sag and get stringy. This is the same problem I had before I went CG. I can't tell if my hair feels dry - it just feels limp and coated with product/conditioner/oil. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I think I have low to normal porosity with fine to medium texture.

I've uploaded some pics from over the years. The first pic is me 2 years ago and the middle two are taken today (I washed last night and spritzed with lavender water today). The third is what I think is my curl potential - it was taken 8 years ago in Cancun. My hair loves the beach and just the right amount of humidity.

Any suggestions would be most welcome! So frustrated!
Fia: 2b-2c/Fine-Medium/iii (Thick)
Low-Poo: Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Shampoo, Shampoo bars
Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Refresh, CJ Daily Fix, CFT Creamy Curl Cleanser
Rinse-out: Trader Joe's Nourish, GFTN, Aubrey Organics GPB
Leave-in/Curl Creme: Marie Dean Curly Styling Creme
Gel: BRHG, homemade FSG, CJ Curl Queen, Deva AnGel
Hair likes: Protein, FSG, high dewpoints
Hair dislikes: coconut oil on dry hair

Comments

• pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    Look for someone with hair like yours in this thread and see what products and techniques they use.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=90412
    I find I need a super hard hold gel to hold my curls all day. I love the BRHG. It has the hardest hold you can get(as far as I know), but it scrunches out to soft curls. Other options are Chi, SS FHG, HE SMU, LAL SG.
    Double check your Lush conditioner. Lots of lush stuff has cones.
    Some wavies need to low poo several times a week.
    Yes to cucumbers is fairly moisturizing, and doesn't seem to weigh people down. The 2's would have more suggestions for you.:lol:
    I'd suggest posting on the 2 boards. There is a really nice and knowlegeable community of wavies over there. They can offer you better, first hand advice then me.
    Good Luck.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • 85MR285MR2 Registered Users Posts: 226
    Two potential problems I see right off the bat.

The Garnier Fructis Sleek n shine has a cone. The Lush has glycerine (which doesn't work for some people). I recommend at least trying the Garnier Triple-Nutrition that is cone free instead.
    CG since 2/23/10!

2B 3A mix, fine texture and high porosity at crown/bangs, normal elsewhere. I like protein!

Trying to grow out a short haircut.

WASH: Jessicurl Cleansing Cream (once every week or so)
    CONDITION: Jessicurl Too Shea! or Aloeba Conditioner
    STYLE: Jessicurl Gelebration Spray/Awe Inspiraling Spray

http://public.fotki.com/85MR2/ (PICS OF CG TRANSITION SO FAR) Need to update. No pics with the Jessicurl products yet, but I LOVE them!
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    I've lived in the Philadelphia area my whole life. If you're talking this winter--it was unusually dry. It's not like that most of the time. I think you'll find the weather similar to NYC and most of NJ (except the shore area.) Definitely not like NC most of the time--though we do get hot and humid in the summer.

My hair is fine/low porosity. I think it's mostly finding the right products and how to handle your hair after you get a great haircut. The haircut is the foundation. If you don't have a great cut, no matter what you do--it's hard to achieve really fabulous hair.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • leonita poraleonita pora Registered Users Posts: 175
    Thanks ladies for the advice!

I actually did try out the Triple Nutrition after low-pooing in combination with the Lush King of the Mods gel and for the first time my hair did not feel gross. So, one, I think my hair is finally getting used to the transition, and two, my hair has been feeling better after the low-poo (again, a result of early transition period). However, I am going to continue with the Triple Nutrition as a rinse out and see how that goes.

I'm going to have to play around with products as my hair continues to transition. I was also trying out the Garnier Fructis Curl Shaping Spray gel, but I think I used too much. Sigh, we'll see - I feel like my life (and I know I'm not the only curly/wavy with this experience) has been a story of experimentation with curl products. Also, I think a deep treatment might help. Pre-CG I loved Ojon's Restorative treatment. I'm hesitant to buy it in case it is not CG or doesn't work like it used to, but I've read on the posts that it's ok to use. Hopefully, it won't take me too long to figure out what my hair likes and what products work for me on CG.

Kathymack - For some reason, I swear to you, my hair has not liked living in Philadelphia the 4 years I've been here. I'm originally from South Jersey and my hair was fine there, so I'm not entirely sure it's a weather thing, I just have my suspicions. However, Philadelphia does have slightly hard water, and NYC has soft water, so that is something I've considered as a factor in my curl failure.

Thanks again for the advice!
    Fia: 2b-2c/Fine-Medium/iii (Thick)
    Low-Poo: Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Shampoo, Shampoo bars
    Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Refresh, CJ Daily Fix, CFT Creamy Curl Cleanser
    Rinse-out: Trader Joe's Nourish, GFTN, Aubrey Organics GPB
    Leave-in/Curl Creme: Marie Dean Curly Styling Creme
    Gel: BRHG, homemade FSG, CJ Curl Queen, Deva AnGel
    Hair likes: Protein, FSG, high dewpoints
    Hair dislikes: coconut oil on dry hair
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    I mention this in case you don't already know...Kathymack (who posted above) sells samples of the more expensive hair products. If you want to experiment with new stuff, it is a great way to try before you buy. Kathymack gets great feedback. Click on the link to the fotki in her siggie.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file