Portion size: A couple of recipes

EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
The place where I get tripped up when trying to lose weight, is portion size. So I thought I'd post a few recipes that would show a good portion size for someone who's trying to lose weight. They're very quick and simple, and can easily be prepared after work. If you're very active (more than an hour of exercise each day), you'd probably need somewhat larger portions, or maybe add a healthy side.

I walk at least 4 miles a day and am no longer trying to lose weight, so of I've upped my calorie intake. But trying these recipes is a good way to figure out what being "full" is.

Wrapped Salmon: 2 servings, 338 Calories each
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 4 skinless salmon fillets
- 4.5 oz prosciutto, all fat trimmed
- 1 package chives
Preheat oven to 350F or 180C. Squeeze lemon juice over salmon fillets, and wrap two slices of ham around each piece of salmon. Place in an oven-proof dish and sprinkle with snipped chives. Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes.

Spicy Fillet Steaks: 2 servings, 303 Calories each
- 9 oz frozen veggies
- 2 fillet steaks, each about 5 oz
- 11 oz jar of meat-free pasta sauce (arrabbiata is recommended)
- 4 tablespoons red wine
Cook the vegetables according to the package. Heat a lightly oiled pan or griddle and sear the steaks on each side for 4 minutes. While the steaks are cooking, put the sauce in a pan with the wine and cook through, stirring well. Serve steaks with sauce and vegetables.

Sweet Breakfast (I think this is around 300 Calories)
- 1/2 cup of bran cereal
- 2/3 cup semi-skimmed milk
- 1/2 cup berries
- 1 cup of apple juice.

Savory Breakfast (Also about 300 Calories)
- 3 tomatoes
- handful of mushrooms
- 1 poached egg
- 1 slice wholewheat toast
*tomatoes and mushrooms can be grilled with a little oil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file