I did my own Pintura highlights!

rachiecurlyrachiecurly Posts: 14Registered Users
Hi, ladies!
After paying a LOT of money the last year for balayage/pintura highlights, my husband is out of a job and we are broke...SO I did it myself.

I was SO nervous, but it looks AMAZING. I am sorry for no pics...but this is what I did:

I sectioned off my hair and using a large mascara wand made for balayage, I dipped it into 30 vol bleach and painted it on in small ribbons. I made sure that in some parts the bleach was thicker (towards the ends, like the sun would lighten hair) and that I started the movement a little away from the roots for the most natural look. I let it develop into a nice, buttery blonde (about 40 minutes on my dark ashy blonde/light brownish hair color) and then rinsed it out.

I used a clear color gloss to seal it all in.

It looks so good. Some pieces are light blonde and some are more honey looking.

Sally Beauty Supply has a great kit fo $7 called Blonde Brilliance with everything in it, except the mascara wand. I bought that separately there for a few bucks.

Comments

• JaxieJaxie Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    wow, that's great. I would love to do mine myself. But I am far too scared. I have an appt next week to have my hair lightened without bleach, so hopefully it will go well! I am so happy for you though! ~~jax
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Did you just do the top layers then? You just paint it on and set the strands down on the rest of the hair? I worry that it would transfer/bleed onto the rest. Sorry for all the q's but I'd like to try this one time instead of the other way I highlight (cap).
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    bump. ?
  • rachiecurlyrachiecurly Posts: 14Registered Users
    Yes, I just lift up random pieces--starting at the bottom of my hair. I clip all of it on top and then paint it in random sections...until all my hair is out of the clips and I paint the top layer last--mostly to make sure it gets lifted to exactly the right color that I want.

You can google "balayage" for some tips as well.

I honestly can't imagine spending money on highlights ever again!!
    So the bleach doesn't bleed onto other parts? Cool! I was afraid it would. I'll google the info too. Thanks! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file