Epilators?

RawrSallyRawrSally Posts: 1,388Registered Users
Okay, I'll be going to college next semester and shaving my legs in the shower just does not work out for me. As in, some of the most painful, long lasting razorburn I could get... And I was considering an epilator, but I'm kind of afraid.
Questions include: How afraid should I be? How well does it work? Which would be the best? Is it worth the pain and money? Should I stick to shaving? Does it last longer than shaving?

Nair isn't an option. Chemical burns are worse than razor burn anyday.

TIA!

Comments

• EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You can always use an electric razor, in or out of the shower. Why is it hard to shave in the shower? Is it because you wear glasses? I found that was one of the perks of switching to contacts.

Epilating my legs only hurt the first couple of times. After that, the follicles were damaged and produced thinner hairs. However, I think epilators hurt more on fleshy areas, such as the thighs. So I only used it on my knees and lower legs. I eventually stopped because my follicles started producing hairs so thin that they couldn't poke out through my skin, and became ingrown. After a couple of months, the hairs returned to normal.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    Epilating my legs only hurt the first couple of times. After that, the follicles were damaged and produced thinner hairs. However, I think epilators hurt more on fleshy areas, such as the thighs. So I only used it on my knees and lower legs. I eventually stopped because my follicles started producing hairs so thin that they couldn't poke out through my skin, and became ingrown. After a couple of months, the hairs returned to normal.

This is also my experience. Although I've not had a problem with my underarms :dontknow:
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You couldn't pay me enough to get me to use an epilator. Those things HURT! I had one, but I could never get through an entire leg, because it just hurt too damn much. I finally sold it at a yard sale for a dollar.
  • RawrSallyRawrSally Posts: 1,388Registered Users
    Do electric razors give that smooth feeling? I'm afraid of wasting money and finding out it'll just leave me all prickly.
    And I normally only shave after my legs have been soaking in the bath for about ten minutes. If I don't do that, then it burns like hell-fire, I bleed, and the razor burn lasts for days.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    I love my epilator and haven't had the problem with hairs getting thinner. However, my leg hair is fairly coarse (not too abundant though) to begin with and I don't use it all year round--mostly just spring to fall. It hurts the first time I epilate in the spring but it hurts less each time. The pain is along the lines of being snapped with a small rubber band and it hurts less if your hair is fairly short. It not only hurts more on longer hair but it doesn't work as well because it breaks the hair, rather than pulling it out at the root.

I have a Braun Silk Epil. I bought it after M2LR recommended it. Prior to that, I was afraid to try one because my only experience had been an Epilady I tried back in the 80s or early 90s. Man, that thing was a torture advice.

I've had my Silk Epil for going on 3 years and I would NEVER go back to just shaving. For me, it's definitely worth it. If you have fine hair or more fuzz than hair, it probably won't work for you. I usually epilate then shave all the peach fuzz off and I'm good to go for at least a week, maybe two.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    I love my epilator and haven't had the problem with hairs getting thinner.
    It happened to me after 7 years of use. I tried using it again a year after quitting, but the hairs instantly reverted to being too small to grow out.

OP, what kind of razor do you use? Do you use the kind that's entirely disposable, or the kind where just the head is disposable and you keep the handle? The entirely disposable kind tears my legs up, but the kind where you keep the handle works great for me. I think a lot of people have this experience.
    Annarie101 wrote: »
    Do electric razors give that smooth feeling? I'm afraid of wasting money and finding out it'll just leave me all prickly.
    They don't shave as closely as a regular razor. Whether the shaved hairs are too visible depends on how thick the hairs are, the level of contrast between your skin and hair, and just how smooth you want your legs to be.
  • Curly_Cajun_FemmeCurly_Cajun_Femme Posts: 342Registered Users
    When all else fails: Go to a salon have your mani-pedi and have the legs and brows waxed....:munky2:

Waxing generally lasts 4-6 weeks.. If you can pluck your eyebrows you can handle waxing or epiators.. They are faster and cover more area quickly.
    3b /3c
    HG Summer List
    Boots Pink is the bomb on my summer hair.
    Donna Marie MiraCurls
    Poos: KCCClean, JCChealting
    Leave In: KCKT, KomazaCalifia
    Conditioners:AOHR
    Styling: KCCC, BRHG, UFCM, MC
    Deep Tx's: CJCR and LustraSIlk
    Your mind is like a parachute, It only functions when its open.....
    Reality, What a concept.~G. Carlin
  • RawrSallyRawrSally Posts: 1,388Registered Users
    I use a venus razor, non-disposable. I just have sensitive skin. And I would prefer my legs to feel completely smooth, like no prickly hairs at all if possible.
    Waxing generally lasts 4-6 weeks.. If you can pluck your eyebrows you can handle waxing or epiators.. They are faster and cover more area quickly.
    Waxing is basically no different from epilating, tweezing, or threading. They'll all last the same amount of time. Waxing is faster, but epilating doesn't hurt the skin. So there's just that slight trade off.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Waxing gives me a smoother feeling over all but I cannot wax every week. It generally lasts 4-6 weeks if I'm not showing skin in public, but my hair starts growing back within a week so I use an epilator in between for touchup and it's great. I use a panasonic wet/dry (never tried it in wet mode) but I've been meaning to get that braun silk one to see if it's faster than the one I have.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i recently bought an epi silk from sally's. i love the results. i compare it to electrolysis. it's a bit painful but it passes quickly. i've been told that you can take an otc pain/anti-inflammatory before waxing so i suppose the same could go for using an epilator. i use it for my bikini line and my underarm. my hairs don't grow back nearly as fast as traditional shaving did for me. i just use it a little bit a couple of times a week and i feel like it keeps me nice and smooth.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file